: 2000 DHS exhaust smoking and running poor

bodec
09-29-09, 02:56 PM
My 2000 DHS w/ 80K miles is smoking something awful, will idle but upon acceleration spudders. Also a loud ticking noise is coming from the front bank ant the top on the left side.

Code read:
p300

Freexe Frame Data:

TP 100
RPM 0
Air Flow rate 0
air intake temp 102F
MAP 101KPA
coolant temp 224F
Ign. Timing Adv. 0
comm. secondary air ATMOS
STFT1 0
LTFT1 -5.1
STFT2 0
LTFT2 -5.1
STFT3 50
LTFT3 53.9
LTFT4 59.3
STFT4 57
Fuel Sys. 1 and 2 OPEN

I just recently installed new ckp sensors, brakes, changed the oil, air filter etc.

Car was running great after about 100miles it was low on gas and spuddered a bit I put new gas in and the car slowly started running worse and now I cant even drive it its so bad.

If anyone could give some advice I would truely be grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ranger
09-29-09, 04:13 PM
Go back and get a good whiff of the "smoke". What does it smell like? Oil, gas or coolant? That will tell us where the problem lies.

bodec
09-29-09, 04:18 PM
I would say it has a fuel maybe oilly smell.

Ranger
09-29-09, 05:01 PM
If it is fuel, check for a ruptured FPR diaphragm. If that is OK, then a stuck open injector. Oil could be a lot of things, but it is unusual.

CaptainFishpond
10-01-09, 02:05 PM
Im having a similar problem.

99 DeVille with 120k. I have the misfire code, the smoke, and the ticking. The smoke doesn't smell distinctively like coolant, gas, or oil. It just smells like exhaust. I have noticed a 5 mpg drop since all of this started. I am confused on what would be causing the ticking noise? Its coming from the right front bank. Didn't mean to hijack bodec, just thought maybe we could help each other out here.

Ranger
10-01-09, 05:57 PM
Im having a similar problem.

99 DeVille with 120k. I have the misfire code, the smoke, and the ticking. The smoke doesn't smell distinctively like coolant, gas, or oil. It just smells like exhaust. I have noticed a 5 mpg drop since all of this started. I am confused on what would be causing the ticking noise? Its coming from the right front bank. Didn't mean to hijack bodec, just thought maybe we could help each other out here.
That would lead me to believe that yours is a fuel problem and running very rich. Check for a leaky FPR or a stuck open injector.

CaptainFishpond
10-01-09, 09:51 PM
Thanks Ranger, but how do I check the injectors?

Ranger
10-01-09, 10:17 PM
See the Tech Tips section.

CaptainFishpond
10-01-09, 11:07 PM
I should have looked.

Thanks.

bodec
10-05-09, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply.

As Ranger indicated I checked the fuel regulator. I don't have a fuel gauge so I released the fuel pressure via the screw driver method and there was hardly any pressure what so ever only a drip or two of fuel came out then I disassembled the regulator. Should the fuel system have pressure in it. The car has not ran in a while. Could all the problems be related to a bad fuel pump?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ranger
10-05-09, 06:37 PM
Huh? What screwdriver method? Yes the fuel system should hold pressure, but not a big deal if it leaks down overnight. You test the FPR pressurized with the engine at idle or off with key on. There should be NO gas at the vacuum nipple.

tateos
10-06-09, 01:52 PM
Huh? What screwdriver method? Yes the fuel system should hold pressure, but not a big deal if it leaks down overnight. You test the FPR pressurized with the engine at idle or off with key on. There should be NO gas at the vacuum nipple.

I think he meant to convey that he released the fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve by depressing the pintle with a screwdriver.

Ranger
10-06-09, 03:55 PM
Ohh. :duh:

CaptainFishpond
10-06-09, 10:52 PM
Ranger, if a car is burning coolant through the exhaust does it stop smoking when the car gets up to temp, specifically at 199 or 200 degrees? Or when outside temp is over 60 degrees? Or should it continue to smoke?

Ranger
10-06-09, 11:02 PM
In the early stages of HG failure coolant will leak into the cylinder when shut down, run rough and steam until it burns off. It will continue to burn coolant, but at a slow and unnoticeable rate until it gets much worse. I doubt that is your problem since you are noticing an MPG drop.

CaptainFishpond
10-06-09, 11:19 PM
Yeah, but Ive had some other issues too. I still have a loud tick or tap coming from what I think is the top of the motor, and some coolant issues. I first noticed a coolant leak a little less than two weeks ago and pinned it down to a water pump. A few days later I replaced the water pump and it was fine for a day or two then I noticed another puddle under the car. It appeared as if one of the coolant hoses was leaking at a clamp so I tightened them up planning on replacing them when I got a chance. Then the starter went on my car, so I had to replace that. And due to the fact that the only time I can work on my car is some nights and weekends not everything gets done in a very timely manner, only the stuff that needs to get me to work the next day. So on the first really chilly day we have around here my car starts smoking bad, keep in mind I always made sure that the coolant level was adequate. But its been smoking in the morning, and ALOT of smoke, until it gets up to temp and has been drinking coolant. I know that I really need to fix my external leak, and will in the next few days. The car has never overheated while Ive owned it and temp doesn't really fluctuate. But at this point I'm pretty convinced its early stage headgasket failure. Sorry for the long post.