: New Noise

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 11:16 AM
This just started in the last day.

Upon start up I have a medium to high frequency noise that sounds like an auxiliary pump or motor (almost like a fan motor). I cannot tell if it is coming from the engine bay or elsewhere (non-directional from within the cabin). Ocassionally the sound will drop in frequency (momentarily) and then resume. It seems to independent of engine speed, climate control (I turned everything off), steering, etc.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

commander112
09-28-09, 11:26 AM
Could it be the hard drive from the audio/nav system? I hear disc noises in our XLR at startup.

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 11:56 AM
Could it be the hard drive from the audio/nav system? I hear disc noises in our XLR at startup.

I haven't heard disc drive noise but have not shut the system off, I will try that in the next couple of minutes.

To clarify, the noise is constant from the time I turn the car on, not something that only occurs while driving. I'm wondering if it is a fuel pump or something.

Update:
I went out and tried to localize the sound a bit. It is coming from the front of the car but that's all I could tell. It does not happen at ignition on but approximately 5 seconds after start up. It is pronounced enough for me to hear the noise from outside the car as I walk around. Once under the hood, I couldn't get a good bead on it, especially with all of the engine covers on.

4DoorV
09-28-09, 01:00 PM
Does it make this noise if you just turn the ignition to the on/accessory position (without actually starting the car). Mine, I just noticed yesterday while setting up the nav system without engine running, makes a high pitch noise in this position noticeable inside and outside of the car.

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 01:09 PM
Does it make this noise if you just turn the ignition to the on/accessory position (without actually starting the car). Mine, I just noticed yesterday while setting up the nav system without engine running, makes a high pitch noise in this position noticeable inside and outside of the car.

No. Unfortunately I just tried that. With the ACC on, no noise and the noise is there with the NAV "off".

Once I start the car, it's like clockwork, one mississippi ---> five.

musclesbmf
09-28-09, 01:36 PM
could be your intercooler pump...

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 02:24 PM
In any event, I need to get my car into service to have a couple of things checked out (minor rear end noise, 2nd gear synchro scratch and now this).

Unfortunately, I'm still disputing this whole body shop nightmare, now talking to the customer service manager at dealership. Honestly, I'm really nervous about bringing the car back there (especially now that I've filed a complaint, specifically calling out the service director). The next closest dealer is 80 miles away.

If they don't so something to bring my comfort level up I'm going to have to get out of the car in favor of something that I can safely get serviced.

tedcmiller
09-28-09, 03:56 PM
In both my wife's 2008 DTS and in my 2009 CTS-V, the disc drive for the navigation system starts up as soon as you open the door. Nothing has to be turned on. It makes some noise but not a lot. I doubt that anything could be heard from outside the car. I don't know how long it continues to run after the door is closed and the car is not started. I haven't worried about it since I new what it was.

4gear70
09-28-09, 07:24 PM
No. Unfortunately I just tried that. With the ACC on, no noise and the noise is there with the NAV "off".

Once I start the car, it's like clockwork, one mississippi ---> five.

Are you certain that it's not your electric cooling fans at the radiator? What are your ambient temps like this time of year? Especially with A/C on, they will kick in and if you pay attention you can hear them running from inside. It'll come on and off intermittently depending on temps.

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 08:10 PM
Are you certain that it's not your electric cooling fans at the radiator? What are your ambient temps like this time of year? Especially with A/C on, they will kick in and if you pay attention you can hear them running from inside. It'll come on and off intermittently depending on temps.

This is a new sound, just in the last 24 hours (I have 10k on the car). The noise happens any time the motor is running, including from a cold morning start with the AC, seat fans and NAV system turned off.

The closest thing I can compare it to is the mid-high pitch wine you hear before the landing gear on a plane is lowered. It is a fairly prominent sound as I can still hear it while driving at 60-75mph, where as the fans I cannot. This said, I attribute it's audibility more to frequency and less to overall volume, the volume itself is on par with the fans.

nynd
09-28-09, 08:22 PM
Maybe your supercharger snout do-hicky crapped out?

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 08:31 PM
Maybe your supercharger snout do-hicky crapped out?

Oh, I know that the snout do-hickey is shot. It sounds like a wood-chipper at idle.

This sounds more like a fuel pump.

nynd
09-28-09, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't fuel pump be in the rear (tank mount)? So.. must be something else. Maybe a bad bearing on one of the drive pulleys or something related?

NeedCTS-v
09-29-09, 08:32 PM
So...I start the car this afternoon to take it to the dealer and have it checked out and the sound isn't there anymore :hmm: It was there this morning.

This said, when I did go to the dealer, I had the Dealership GM, the Customer Service Director, my regular service manager, the head of their body shop (who had driven across town) all there to meet me and go over my car with me. The GM said that he would do whatever it took to win me back as a customer and would make my car right again. Now that's the spirit!

They treated me really well, so I left the car with them to do a fluid flush, inspect what I think may be a 2nd gear synchro issue common to the Z06 and other 6060s, the intake "marbles" sound and the new but now missing fuel pump "like" sound. Next week, the car goes to the paint shop one last time (hopefully) with the GM overseeing it every step of the way. When the whole paint thing started, this is all that was required in the first place, but no, the service director had to be a d**k about it. So, here's hoping!!!

If this turns out okay, I will have no choice but to reverse my stance on this dealer, despite the paint experience because at the end of the day they will have come to bat on the behalf of the customer. Fingers officially crossed.