Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I got another car......might be another 500 project in the works.

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  lux hauler 
#1 ·
Torque Inc. sold me his '84 Coupe Deville. Of course, the 4.1 in it is junk but the rest of the car is clean. I do have one problem with doing a BB Cad swap into it........emissions. :rant2: The cut off for emissions in this county is 25 years. I'm thinking of just re-building the 4.1 and driving it for the next couple of years. Then I'll put a good engine in it. :burn:

#2 ·
Emissions standards vary a lot by state. I know here in FL before they got rid of our emissions testing you would fail if you had a different engine in the car. Even if you met standards an engine swap to a different engine was an automatic failure.

Good luck with the project! I love those cars and would like to do the 500 swap in to one myself but I haven't for fear that they will bring back emissions testing and I will be left with an undrivable car.

Steve B.

#4 ·
DaveSmed said:
Toss an 81 fan shroud in, with the emissions sticker. Looks like a 368 to me..... :lildevil:
That's not a bad idea but they catch the year with the VIN......but I'm sure I could find a ragged out 80 or 81 for the title and VIN tag. hmmmm......? :lildevil: :tisk: :shhh:
They'd catch me with that and nail me with tampering. :helpless:
I do have the option of applying for collector plates. I've heard that a "collectors car" is emissions exempt. But I've also heard that you are "supposed" to only drive the car to and from shows, to and from parades etc. Would a drag race be considered "a show"? :hmm: :D

#5 ·
I know of a few people with modified vehicles with collector tags whose speedometer cable mysteriously keeps "breaking" rendering the odometer motionless. I also have a friend that has two instrument clusters for his car, since under 5k a year is an automatic exemption in PA.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok....I checked the OBMV web site. At the bottom of the form you fill out it has this....

"This vehicle is of special interest, being of special make, model, or style, and is maintained as a collectors item, leisure pursuit, or investment. If requested, I can supply paperwork from a car club, auto collector, or other proof that this is a vehicle of special interest. This application is made in good faith and not made to evade any law, including Ohio Revised Code section 3704.14, which requires vehicle emissions testing in some Ohio counties."

leisure pursuit=drag racing.....? :p
Ok.....I've changed my mind. I'm not going to change the engine. I'm gunna have the 4100 re-built to keep it completely original AND collectible. :shhh:
They also use a few books to determine whether or not the vehicle, is in fact, a collector car....one being The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990. Anyone happen to have this book? If so, could you look to see if a 1984 Cadillac Coupe Deville is listed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.