: High beam and Gas door on a 2010 V

Sorentj
09-27-09, 03:49 PM
Just enjoying my new 2010 CTS-V - now with 4000 miles on it.
However the high beam is very weak or rather not focused. Anybody checked the high beams?
Can it be right that you cannot lock the gas door?
My boost gage does not reach 9 psi, rather 7.5-8. Any adjustments?

But a great car - comfortable, not laud but fast when you need.

Sorentj

Gary Wells
09-27-09, 04:03 PM
However the high beam is very weak or rather not focused. Anybody checked the high beams?

Sorentj

Mine is almost broken-in, 450 miles on it. My experiences with mine have been:
Low beams are bright enough for me, have never tried the high beams.
Right or wrong, the gas door does not seem to be able to lock. At All
I believe that about 7.5 to 8.5 PSI is normal.

ewill3rd
09-27-09, 04:59 PM
I haven't looked but if those are the same as our other HID high beams it just unblocks the upper half of the lens for the light beam.
I'd have to look, but I'd say it could be normal. Might not hurt to have them make sure it is aimed right.

Cadi's fuel doors haven't locked for quite a few years except on XLR which of course doesn't exist anymore.

Sorentj
09-27-09, 09:29 PM
I haven't looked but if those are the same as our other HID high beams it just unblocks the upper half of the lens for the light beam.
I'd have to look, but I'd say it could be normal. Might not hurt to have them make sure it is aimed right.

Cadi's fuel doors haven't locked for quite a few years except on XLR which of course doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks a lot, I think that's exactly how the light works, so I'll find a way to install some real light beams, - maybe just replacing the fog lamps with some others?
It's funny with the fuel door, because it is made with a hole for locking, - but that's not important.

Sorentj

SlvrBullIT
09-27-09, 10:17 PM

Sorentj

Wow a 2010 with 4000+ miles on it already......

brianwetzel
09-27-09, 10:18 PM
Just buy a locking gas cap. That is better than a locking fuel door anyway.

ewill3rd
09-28-09, 08:11 AM
If you get a locking cap, I recommend getting a GM one.
I see a lot of aftermarket caps that won't pass the EVAP tests and can turn on the CEL.

marktanner
09-28-09, 02:54 PM
Get the lights checked. I've had two cars with these lights, and the brights are amazing, IMO, sort of like daylight. I wouldn't mind the low beams having a bit longer reach, but the brights really rock, and don't seem to dazzle other drivers much, either. The lights cannot be aimed. They are self-leveling, and aim themselves each time they turn on. That's the little dance they do when you first turn them on.

ewill3rd
09-28-09, 03:29 PM
They require a "base" aim.
All automatic adjustments are based on sensor inputs provided the base aim is correct.

marktanner
09-28-09, 03:49 PM
Ewill, is that something the dealer can do? On my '08 the left low beam would "droop" much of the time. They said they couldn't duplicate it to get a new light. I then asked if they could adjust the aim up just a smidge on that side, and that's when they told me there was no aiming adjustment.

ewill3rd
09-28-09, 05:14 PM
The procedure is clearly outlined in the service manual.
They should be able to do it, we use a device like this: http://www.autoequipmentonline.com/headlight-aimers/aimers.html

It is really hard to do without one of those machines. You have to set up a "screen" which requires a length of level floor and lots of space.

The lamps should always be aimed if they are replaced also.

tedcmiller
09-28-09, 10:23 PM
My 2009 CTS-V has no lock on the fuel door. It can be opened by anyone from outside the car. I assume the 2010 CTS-V is the same.

The high-beams are great.

The the 2009 CTS-V service manual indicates that 12.5 PSI is the maximum boost the stock supercharger will achieve.

tedcmiller
09-28-09, 11:14 PM
There is no headlight aiming adjustment that the customer can perform. The height of the beams is controlled by automatic leveling on the 2009 CTS-V. The "little dance" is mostly the diagnostic routine performed each time the car is started to ensure that the headlights will move properly from side-to-side as the car is steered.

Tony407
09-29-09, 02:29 AM
The high beams on the V are average. In comparison to my 2009 Jaguar XF, they are very weak. The Jag had very bright, precise lights that left nothing to the imagination. The V's seem diffused and in some circumstances don't even appear to be on. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, it's just their design. The Jag's lights were brighter, whiter, and better focused. I suspect one would have to increase the wattage output of the bulbs themselves, and since I don't know a lot about HID bulbs and ballasts, I haven't looked into this. And as far as focusing, I'm assuming this is a component of the headlight design itself and not user-adjustable. I thought about getting a slightly higher color output, but I'm not sure that this will make it "brighter" and merely less yellowish - which is not necessarily a good thing.

Tony

ewill3rd
09-29-09, 06:59 AM
I am fairly confused as to why people keep saying that headlamps can't be adjusted.
They have to be, they can, and any fool with a set of hand tools can easily screw them up if they so desire.

You cannot adjust them horizontally as there is no longer a provision for that adjustment, but they can be vertically adjusted.

Automatic leveling doesn't mean the car has some sort of magic robot inside that figures out where the headlams are supposed to be aimed to, it means that a suspension sensor can tell whether or not the rear end is bearing a load and it will adjust the vertical to compensate for changes in differences between front and rear ride height.
The headlamps MUST have a base aim for the assemblies being on with the car, unloaded, in a resting state. If the base aim is not performed correctly the "automatic leveling" will just keep the headlights mis-aimed as you load the back.
There is a clearly defined procedure for aiming the headlamps in the service manual and any time aim is suspected to be off it can be checked by using the screen method or an electronic aimer as I indicated above.

These headlights don't come from outer space all calibrated to put on the car, they are built by humans and set to a default value, there are so many variations that can occur in a production vehicle that would affect the beam on a lamp if it was not aimed to match the vehicle it was installed on.
Sorry to get a little cranky here.
It's all good :D

Headlamp Aiming
Aiming Headlamps (Visual Aim)
Important: Some state and local laws specify requirements for headlamp aim. All of these laws must be complied with when performing any headlamp aiming operations.

Headlamp aim should be checked:

• When a new headlamp capsule is installed.

• If service or repairs to the front end area have (or may have) disturbed the headlamps or their mounting.

• Suspension components have been replaced or repaired.

• The area will consist of a level surface large enough to allow for a vehicle and an additional 7.62 m (25 ft) measured from face of lamps to the front of the aiming screen.

• The screen will be 1.52 m (5 ft) high x 3.66 m (12 ft) wide with a matte white surface well shaded from extraneous light, and properly adjusted to the floor on which the vehicle stands. Provisions may be made for moving the screen so it can be aligned parallel with the vehicle.

• The screen shall be provided with a fixed vertical centerline, 2 laterally adjustable vertical tapes, and 1 vertically adjustable horizontal tape.

• If a regular commercial aiming screen is not available, the screen may consist of a vertical wall having a clear uninterrupted area approximately 1.83 m (6 ft) high and 3.66 m (12 ft) wide. The surface should be finished with a washable non-gloss white paint.

After the aiming screen has been set up in its permanent location, it is necessary to paint a reference line on the floor directly under the lens of the lamps to indicate the proper location of the headlamps when they are being aimed:

- Distance between headlamps (1)

- Center line of screen (2)

- Adjustable vertical pointer (3)

- Adjustable horizontal tape (4)

- Diagram of light screen (5)

- Vertical center line ahead of right headlamp pointer position (6)

- 7.62 m (25 ft) (7)

- Car centerline axis (8)

Prior to aiming the headlamps, the following steps must be taken:

Remove any snow, ice or mud from the vehicle.
The vehicle must have a full tank of gas.
Stop all other work on the vehicle.
If any service has been performed on the vehicle, make sure that all of the components are back in their original place.
The vehicle must be on a level surface.

The vehicle left tires must be aligned with the reference line extending from the screen with the headlamps aligned with the vertical reference line (2).
Do not load any cargo in the vehicle.
The vehicle must contain 1 person or 72.56 kg (160 lb) on the driver's seat.
Inflate the tires to the proper pressure.
Simulate the vehicle loads if the intended use of the vehicle is for hauling heavy loads or towing a trailer.
Rock the vehicle in order to stabilize the suspension.
Turn ON the headlamps to low beam and observe the left and the top edges of the high intensity zone on the screen. The edges of the high intensity zone should fall within the specifications.
Headlamp Aiming Procedure
Open the hood.

Measure from the floor to the center of the headlamp bulb, some headlamps have an aim dot marked on the headlamp lens.
At the screen, measure from the floor and place the horizontal tape at the measured distance.
Measure from the reference line on the floor to the left headlamp bulb centerline.
At the screen, measure from the reference line and place the vertical tape at the measured distance.
Measure from the reference line on the floor to the right headlamp bulb centerline.
At the screen, measure from the reference line and place the vertical tape at the measured distance.
Important: Do not cover the headlamp, this may cause excessive heat build up.

Turn on the low beam headlamps and block the light from projecting onto the screen from the passenger side headlamp.
Important: Horizontal headlamp adjustment does not exist.

Adjust the vertical aim of the headlamps to the specifications required by the state and the local authorities, or as shown in step number 8.
Rotate the headlamp adjuster to change the vertical aim of the headlamp.
Repeat the aiming procedure for the passenger side headlamp while blocking the light from projecting onto the screen from the driver side headlamp.
Close the hood.

Prof
09-29-09, 09:51 AM
For a few of us that live in "more rural" environments...the high beams are critical for detecting the glowing eyes of the deer that love to impale themselves in windshields of rapidly moving vehicles...our high beams illuminate those tell-tale glowing orbs wonderfully!

Different environments produce different opinions of features of our incredible CTS V's.

Tony407
09-29-09, 01:46 PM
I am fairly confused as to why people keep saying that headlamps can't be adjusted.
They have to be, they can, and any fool with a set of hand tools can easily screw them up if they so desire.

You cannot adjust them horizontally as there is no longer a provision for that adjustment, but they can be vertically adjusted.

Automatic leveling doesn't mean the car has some sort of magic robot inside that figures out where the headlams are supposed to be aimed to, it means that a suspension sensor can tell whether or not the rear end is bearing a load and it will adjust the vertical to compensate for changes in differences between front and rear ride height.
The headlamps MUST have a base aim for the assemblies being on with the car, unloaded, in a resting state. If the base aim is not performed correctly the "automatic leveling" will just keep the headlights mis-aimed as you load the back.
There is a clearly defined procedure for aiming the headlamps in the service manual and any time aim is suspected to be off it can be checked by using the screen method or an electronic aimer as I indicated above.

These headlights don't come from outer space all calibrated to put on the car, they are built by humans and set to a default value, there are so many variations that can occur in a production vehicle that would affect the beam on a lamp if it was not aimed to match the vehicle it was installed on.
Sorry to get a little cranky here.
It's all good :D

Hey Mr. Cranky Pants! :D Why don't you just tell us how to adjust our headlights. And more importantly, are the high beams independently adjustable? In other words, is there a way to adjust only the high beams and not affect the aim of the low beams? I've been through all this before in my Infiniti, which had one of the worst set of high beams I've ever had. And the low and high beams were not independently adjustable, so if you aimed them down so the high beams weren't pointing into outer space, the low beams were pointed on the ground directly in front of the car. Quite frustrating. I don't think the V lights are as bad, but they're definitely far from great. I suspect it's more a matter of headlight design (focusing, beam pattern and brightness, etc.)

Tony

tedcmiller
09-29-09, 03:16 PM
I don't think anyone has suggested that the headlamps cannot be adjusted (vertically, anyway). What has been suggested is that the adjustment is not readily available to the average guy. There are no adjustment openings in the engine compartment of the 2009 CTS-V that can be used by the average customer/driver. The factory service manual indicates that the headlamps are automatically adjusted vertically by the leveling control on the 2009 CTS-V and that due to the side-to-side control, no lateral adjustment should be attemped. Obviously, not all models of CTSs have automatic leveling or side-to-side control. For those that do not have the automatic leveling feature, the factory service manual indicates that replaced headlamp assemblies should be adjusted, but I have not been able to find out where or how this is accomplished.

ewill3rd
09-29-09, 04:38 PM
I had an '09 earlier, if I had been thinking about it I would have looked.

I'll try to spot the adjusters, they have to have some sort of base aim.
I ran out of chill pills last week so... :lol:

The main reason the adjustment sucks is because unlike days gone by you can't use a low dollar aimer without setting up the screen as I quoted above you just can't do it.
Again the high beam on the HID is usually just a door flipping up inside the housing to allow the whole beam out, in low beam mode it blocks the upper half of the light to prevent blinding oncoming cars. All you can really do is adjust the lamp (I'll try to locate the access for the vertical aimers) and then hope for the best.
The HID spectrum is supposed to be better, but not necessarily brighter from the driver's perspective. You can't turn night into day but you can light up things that you need to see.
we have a couple on the lot, I go pop the hood in a bit and check.

I think there is a confusion of the terminology here, the features that allow the lamps to move up/down and left/right are automated but it isn't like you plug the headlamp in and then HAL decides where to aim it. It has to have a zero point from which to operate.
If I am way off base I'll certainly let you know.
I know the XLRs that have the turning feature have a base aim as I have done several.
I haven't had a need to aim an '09 V yet.

tedcmiller
09-29-09, 09:28 PM
ewill3rd,
If you can fine the adjusters for the 2009 CTS-V HIDs, let us know where they are. The factory service manual was no help in locating them.

CASEY122457
09-29-09, 11:11 PM
I just adjusted my low beams a little higher. It can be done. Look in your owners manual. All you need is a 6mm hex driver and an extension for yor ratchet. 2010 model.

Tony407
09-29-09, 11:21 PM
Casey, Did you adjust BOTH high and low beams at the same time? Or is there independent adjustment controls for either?

I suspect that you indeed raised both, as you can't adjust one without the other.

Tony

CASEY122457
09-29-09, 11:29 PM
Casey, Did you adjust BOTH high and low beams at the same time? Or is there independent adjustment controls for either?

I suspect that you indeed raised both, as you can't adjust one without the other.

Tony

There is just 1 adjustment screw, you can adjust up or down. You will be adjusting both the low and high beams with the same adjustment screw. It is very easy to do. There is a circular rubber cap to the side of each headlight, pop it off and you can look down about 5 inches and see the adjustment screw. You do need a 6mm hex driver and an extension. Hope this helps.

Tony407
09-30-09, 12:39 AM
There is just 1 adjustment screw, you can adjust up or down. You will be adjusting both the low and high beams with the same adjustment screw. It is very easy to do. There is a circular rubber cap to the side of each headlight, pop it off and you can look down about 5 inches and see the adjustment screw. You do need a 6mm hex driver and an extension. Hope this helps.

It helps tremendously. Thanks for taking the time to figure this out and to post your results here!

Tony

tedcmiller
09-30-09, 02:28 PM
Casey122457 is correct. The instructions for adjusting the headlights are in the owner's manual. They begin on page 5-53 of the 2009 CTS, CTS-V manual. What is provided with regard to setting up the car and the light dimensions is essentially the same as provided by ewill3rd but somewhat simpler. There is also a picture that shows exactly where the opening that provides access to the adjustment screw (vertical only) is located in the engine compartment. The instructions indicate that a 6 mm hex driver on an extension is required to make any adjustments. Note: That is a 6 mm hex driver is specified. A hex socket will not work. The guide to the adjustment screw is shaped like a funnel and is too small to allow a socket of any size to go over the adjustment screw.

Now you would think that the information regarding the location of the adjustment screw and the 6 mm hex driver would be included in the factory service manual. If it is there, I can't find it. Perhaps someone else can. The instructions on how to replace headlight modules are there and are quite detailed. They include an admonishment that anytime this is done, the headlights need to be adjusted. The factory service manual never, as far as I can tell, identifies the size or location of the adjustment screw.

CASEY122457
09-30-09, 02:34 PM
Casey122457 is correct. The instructions for adjusting the headlights are in the owner's manual. They begin on page 5-53 of the 2009 CTS, CTS-V manual. What is provided with regard to setting up the car and the light dimensions is essentially the same as provided by ewill3rd but somewhat simpler. There is also a picture that shows exactly where the opening that provides access to the adjustment screw (vertical only) is located in the engine compartment. The instructions indicate that a 6 mm hex driver on an extension is required to make any adjustments. Note: That is a 6 mm hex driver is specified. A hex socket will not work. The guide to the adjustment screw is shaped like a funnel and is too small to allow a socket of any size to go over the adjustment screw.

Now you would think that the information regarding the location of the adjustment screw and the 6 mm hex driver would be included in the factory service manual. If it is there, I can't find it. Perhaps someone else can. The instructions on how to replace headlight modules are there and are quite detailed. They include an admonishment that anytime this is done, the headlights need to be adjusted. The factory service manual never, as far as I can tell, identifies the size or location of the adjustment screw.

tedcmiller: I want to change the HID headlamp bulbs on my CTS-V. Does your manual state that the front bumper has to be removed to change the HID bulb? Thanks.

ewill3rd
09-30-09, 06:28 PM
Ted, sometimes it does identify the location, but rarely the size of the adjuster.

We are seeing a trend since in 2008 GM went to a "Global" format in the manuals.
That means that the documentation is more generic and quite frankly, vague.

The way they construct SI is by linking a bunch of documents inside vehicle context. If they don't identify specific locations for the adjusters then they don't have to translate as many documents and they can link the database information for several carlines to one document and be done.
Sadly this is the way of things right now. The new techs or techs that don't have a good understanding of computers and testing procedures are kind of boned right now. It's okay for me because I know a lot of stuff but it is still annoying. The schematics took a big hit to in the name of cost savings.
Long story....

tedcmiller
09-30-09, 07:43 PM
I would like to know a page number in the factory service manual where the headlight adjuster screw and its access point is shown.

Regarding the question about removing the front facia to access the headlight module, I do believe that it states this is necessary.

ewill3rd
09-30-09, 08:44 PM
Most everything we make now has to have the front bumper cover removed to change the headlamp assemblies or the bulbs in them.
CTS, STS, DTC, SRX.. heck I think even the new Escalades?

I haven't seen a paper manual in like 5 years, oh we have them but they don't get used.... ever.
Someone with experience should be able to locate the opening. I have been meaning to stop and look at one and see if I can find it really quickly but I have been incredibly busy.

tedcmiller
10-01-09, 07:49 PM
I looked all through a paper factory service manual and could find no indication of a location for the headlight adjustment screw or access to it.

ewill3rd
10-02-09, 08:44 AM
Here is where the aimer is located on a base car, I am certain that it will be the same on the V.
Sorry I don't have model hands. :lol:
Remove the plug and you should see a plastic cone with a hex inside. It does look like a 6mm. A long T handle or equivalent should work.
I advise against moving it without proper aiming equipment to avoid problems but there it is.

If someone with a V opens that and there is no screw in there let me know.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/ewill3rd/PICT6198.jpg

tedcmiller
10-02-09, 12:58 PM
ewill3rd is correct. It should be emphasized that a 6 mm driver (like an Allen wrench that fits inside of the bolt head) not a socket (that fits around the outside of the bolt head) must be used to make the adjustment. As ewill3rd says, unless you have the proper equipment, don't do it.