: Alacantra steering wheel owners. How do you like?

Nutz
09-27-09, 04:48 PM
Have not heard much feedback on these steering wheels and manual shifters here.
You like?
Wearing o.k.?
Pros?
Cons?

Sorentj
09-27-09, 05:05 PM
Would prefer the std. semi-wood type, but the Vs come with alcantara as far as I know.

Sorentj

Gary Wells
09-27-09, 05:20 PM
I have it on mine, and fwiw, the alcantra option is available for either manual or auto shift handle. Now that I know how it feels to drive with, I would not do it any other way if I were to order one. I tried one that did not have the Alcantra option, and the steering wheel felt like it was a very hard to the touch, regardless of whether it was real leather or not. It just wasn't comfy, to put it bluntly.

NeedCTS-v
09-27-09, 05:34 PM
I like mine a lot but do question how well it will hold up over the years (especially the steering wheel).

Caddyscat
09-27-09, 06:37 PM
Alcantra wheel is grippy when you're in the twisties. Glad I didn't get the std wheel.

AuPanda
09-27-09, 06:47 PM
I must hold the wheel differently then any of the previous posters as I have developed a callus on my right thumb because of the rougher texture of the suede wheel.

nynd
09-27-09, 06:52 PM
I love it!!!

Razorecko
09-27-09, 07:45 PM
i have 9k miles on my v and my alcantra is visibly starting to wear in spots. By 30k it will look like @ss.

cbloveday
09-27-09, 09:07 PM
I have the leather wheel. No regrets. I too am concerned about wear.

neuronbob
09-27-09, 09:19 PM
I did not get the alcantra steering wheel purely from concern of longevity. The standard steering wheel is nice and beefy-thick. It's very comfortable for my long fingers. The alcantra is easier to grip, though, and is helpful in the twisties.

Nutz
09-27-09, 10:17 PM
Interesting. I do not have the alacantra wheel because I do not have Recaro's. I'm really comfortable with the leather, but I wanted to figure out if the alacantra would be an exceptional addition to the car if I decide to buy one with my connections with salvage vehicles. Apparently it's a trade off. Better comfort for premature wear.

Razorecko
09-27-09, 10:21 PM
Interesting. I do not have the alacantra wheel because I do not have Recaro's. I'm really comfortable with the leather, but I wanted to figure out if the alacantra would be an exceptional addition to the car if I decide to buy one with my connections with salvage vehicles. Apparently it's a trade off. Better comfort for premature wear.

Yep. The comfort is great and so is the grip. Also i don't baby the alcantra, its a steering wheel after all.

idoitforv
09-27-09, 11:20 PM
How much would replacing the alcantra cost? I thought I heard that you could pick it up aftermarket.

ctsv5005
09-28-09, 01:31 AM
i have 9k miles on my v and my alcantra is visibly starting to wear in spots. By 30k it will look like @ss.

Very true.

stealthjr
09-28-09, 09:58 AM
Have not heard much feedback on these steering wheels and manual shifters here.
You like?
Wearing o.k.?
Pros?
Cons?

I LOVE my Alcantra wheel and shifter!!! It is wearing flawlessly and has never been hot to touch with the Texas sun beating down on it...awesome and worth every penny! :thumbsup:

Robert

chopmeat
09-28-09, 10:35 AM
Are there any pics of this wheel?

62Jeff
09-28-09, 10:38 AM
Are there any pics of this wheel?

Find almost any magazine review on the internet, which reviewed a car that had Recaro seats (almost all review cars had that) and look for interior pictures.

Think black suede, and you'll get the right mental picture.

Actually, here's a photo of the first car I bought
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk114/rcktman1_album/2009%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/Dash.jpg

marktanner
09-28-09, 04:17 PM
I love it too, though I do worry about wear. None so far at 3500 miles. I wipe my hands with a towel, or at least on my pants, before I touch the wheel. I like the lack of hotness or coldness that the leather can have. I like the luxurious feel. I think it really makes the car look more upmarket, and everyone who gets in the car is impressed by it too. It's amazing how different the interior of my V looks and feels compared to my '08 CTS, also ebony, but with the wood, including the wheel. That interior was also very attractive, but the V, with all the different textures and gradations of grey and black, just looks richer and more expensive (which it is, of course). The added grip is a nice added bonus. I think it ought to be standard, IMO.

chopmeat
09-29-09, 10:51 AM
Is that a fake suede microfiber that's on there?
It looks like it will wear quicker?

Z06ified
09-29-09, 10:55 AM
Is that a fake suede microfiber that's on there?
It looks like it will wear quicker?

Yes, it's Alcantra, which is a synthetic microfiber. It should wear better than real suede, as the microfibers are made from polyester strands.

surgin
09-29-09, 09:39 PM

i agree. it's great for the first 5k. but it is clearly not as plush/fuzzy as new. it will be bare at 2 oclock by 30k

Z06ified
09-30-09, 10:23 AM
i agree. it's great for the first 5k. but it is clearly not as plush/fuzzy as new. it will be bare at 2 oclock by 30k

Now I don't feel so bad not being able to get the suede with the wood option. :)

Stingray23
10-01-09, 03:41 AM
I love it too, though I do worry about wear. None so far at 3500 miles. I wipe my hands with a towel, or at least on my pants, before I touch the wheel. I like the lack of hotness or coldness that the leather can have. I like the luxurious feel. I think it really makes the car look more upmarket, and everyone who gets in the car is impressed by it too. It's amazing how different the interior of my V looks and feels compared to my '08 CTS, also ebony, but with the wood, including the wheel. That interior was also very attractive, but the V, with all the different textures and gradations of grey and black, just looks richer and more expensive (which it is, of course). The added grip is a nice added bonus. I think it ought to be standard, IMO.

Is the steering wheel in the V thicker then the one in the regular cts?