: Transmission hitting rev limiter

4DoorV
09-27-09, 03:38 PM
When I am travelling between 60-70 and hit the accelerator pretty hard/WOT the transmission(auto) will drop down a gear as expected, but then proceeds to hit the rev limiter and engine stops accelerating (makes a thunking sound) and rpms drop back to 1500-2000 before I can continue (not sure why it is not shifting into next gear). It doesnt do it all the time but has occurred at least 5 times both in Tour or Sport Mode. Only seems to do it when traveling and not from a start. Car is a little over week old and 1200 miles and I have been pretty good with doing the recommended break-in. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input (will most likely need ammo when taking into the dealer)

chopmeat
09-27-09, 03:44 PM
Yeah, You need a custom TUNE!

tedcmiller
09-27-09, 04:46 PM
My 2009 CTS-V was delivered to me right after the New Year, and I have never experienced the problem you describe. It sounds like you have a problem that a custom tune is not going to solve.

ctsv5005
09-27-09, 05:50 PM
did you dyno tune your car from somewhere? i had the same problem. after dyno tuning it a making it back to stock caused this problem. then what i did is that i got w4m handheld. and so far no problem.

nradcad
09-27-09, 07:14 PM
Don't get me started on this tranny. When your in 'flappy-paddle' mode, I hate the shift delay. It is atleast 400-500ms delay from when you initiate the shift, to when the shift actually starts. The actual shifting is smooth and fast, but trying to guess your RPMs by the time the car shifts is annoying and usually results in hitting the fuel shut off limiter. *sigh*

Need a waitforme shift tune I suppose.

4DoorV
09-27-09, 09:01 PM
No dyno tune or any mods (...yet). Car is completely stock. Sounds like best option is to go with the w4me handheld (what do you think Jesse). Not sure if this is an issue that can be fixed by the dealer.

jwa999
09-27-09, 09:33 PM
Noticed the same problem on the stock tune. It would hit the limiter by itself, i think more standard mode than sport mode.
w4m tune fixes the problem. The rev limiter is upped a bit.

nradcad
09-27-09, 11:31 PM
I have noticed that the other day. What I think happens is wheel slip, which spikes the engine speed.

Caroutisine
09-28-09, 07:45 AM
Mine does not do this, and it's completely stock.

musclesbmf
09-28-09, 12:02 PM
Also, with the W4M tune, the red lights behind the tachometer flash when you need to hit the shift button. Built in shift light. If you hit the shift then, it will shift just right. Pretty cool I think. But with his tune, just put in sport mode and drive. He makes it shift perfect.

Mark

jjsC6
09-28-09, 10:16 PM
As long as we are talking auto tranny quirks, can ya'll tell me if the car always starts in 2nd gear when in normal mode?

Caroutisine
09-28-09, 10:31 PM
I think starting in 2nd is normal.

ctsv5005
09-29-09, 02:07 AM
yes, it is normal. It starts in 2nd gear.

Prof
09-29-09, 10:57 AM
Just making sure that you understand that there is are two manual modes...automatic manual and manual manual...

If you only move the gear selector to the right (no movement forward or back, and do not touch the paddle shifters) the gears will advance automatically. If you move the lever to the right and move it forward or back or engage the paddle shifters...the transmission will remain in the selected gear until you select the next gear with the lever, or paddle shifters or the engine hits the rev limiter...

I think you probably are aware of the two different manual modes...just checking...

62Jeff
09-29-09, 11:00 AM
My car has never done this, and I can't imagine it would be normal for it to do so.

I suggest that before you throw an aftermarket tune on the transmission (which ultimately may be a good choice) get the car checked out by your dealer. If your car has a problem that you don't correct, you could propagate that problem onto the custom tune and then you'll be on here unhappy with a custom tune that may not be at fault.

nc09v2
09-29-09, 10:00 PM
+1. My car has never done this.

There is something wrong with your car, it could be either electrical or mechanical. I would take your dealer service department out for a demo of the problem, it should be pretty obvious to them, and have them fix it before doing any mods.