: Any thoughts on this...

the recluse
09-26-09, 08:51 PM
Found this in in my online waste 'o time. Any thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAM-KI-80/

Ranger
09-26-09, 10:30 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Taspeed
09-27-09, 01:12 AM
mmkay...seen these things for years. Don't really think they work on most gm's vehicles because of the design of the intake. Anything with a composite intake will be pretty much the same. Waste of money IMO.

Ranger
09-27-09, 10:46 AM
They do not work, period. They where invented by someone who believed that P.T. Barnum was right.

Submariner409
09-27-09, 10:52 AM
Hey, Ranger..............Remember back in the 50's there was a similar thingy you clamped on the tailpipe to extract more exhaust gas from the engine..........? :helpless:

Ranger
09-27-09, 04:06 PM
Nah, I don't remember that one, but I do remember the Carb spacer that had 2 (or 4) screen strainers that hung down in the manifold. It too was supposed to increase HP and mileage. Also a blue plastic POS that plugged onto the center distributor post and then the center wire went to it. There is always a new one to separate a fool from his money. Sorry to say I have been separated from some on occasion in my younger days.

00 Deville
09-27-09, 04:25 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted.

A fool and his money should be parted... I want the mailing list for the people that buy these. I'll come up with some more useless junk to sell them.

Submariner409
09-27-09, 07:03 PM
Someone used to make a 4-bbl carb spacer with little propellers in the bores.........the little propeller axles would wear out and the little propellers would try to get into the nearest intake valve that was open at the split second...................Same theory: Mix up that gasoline !!!

Ranger
09-27-09, 08:26 PM
Little propellers. :histeric:

Krashed989
09-27-09, 11:20 PM
Found this in in my online waste 'o time. Any thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAM-KI-80/

Ohh my... that thing spins the air to get it to go into the cylinder easier?... Has that guy heard of centripetal force? It will spin your air into the side-walls of your intake system. The imperfections in the side-walls will slow down the air and reduce your cars power. Have you ever seen a river with a stronger current at the shores?

Ranger
09-28-09, 10:35 AM
This crap and it's brethren is not meant for people who have the ability to apply simple knowledge and logic. It is meant for the simple minded who believe everything they read as truth and fact.

83CADMAN
09-28-09, 05:27 PM
I’m surprised they didn’t make the “SAVE THE PLANET” claim. Only $70.00???

Submariner409
09-28-09, 06:31 PM
Don't worry. The Greenies are gullible enough that the scammers will have a field day selling ecologically safe additives. Mark my words.

mlprus
09-28-09, 11:02 PM
I like the "cold air intake" that eliminates the stock airbox that pulls cold air in from OUTSIDE of the vehicle, and replaces it with a shiny chrome pipe with a filter that ends in the engine compartment. I've seen ones on Dodge Neons that pull air from directly above the exhaust manifold. Cold air intake. lol. The ones that actually extend outside the engine compartment might work. But IDK. K&N's don't excite me either.

Submariner409
09-29-09, 08:36 AM
As you posted, our Sevilles already have a perfectly functional cold air intake which gets its air from behind the headlight assembly. It was built that way. Unfortunately we do not have the chrome pipe which is good for at least 20 hp at idle. K&N is very good at advertising. For another tack, take a hard look at the amount of media in a WIX filter for our airbox.

There are two modifications that you can do to your 2000+ Seville air intake system. They have been extensively covered in here for years. Start searching. Neither modification will result in much more than a feelgood and will create a bit more intake noise for the admiration of a local ricer. (I have done one and it's fun.) Takes two beers, a Dremel tool, and some polyurethane foam to cut/form a gasket at the side of the airbox. Get a flashlight and suss that one out..........

the recluse
10-01-09, 10:48 PM
:histeric: God I love you guys...make a statement and watch the fun.

On the note of the "cold air intake", try this one on for size:

94CaddyConcours
10-02-09, 12:53 AM

Can't wait to see that intake wrap around the wheel on day:histeric::histeric::histeric:
Maybe we should have a stick for idiot(no offense) who fall for fuel gadgets.

Lets see they got the tornado, fuel magnet, water injection, spark plug magnet:histeric:, intake twister(never heard off, but hey we're desperate)

Ranger
10-02-09, 12:22 PM

:histeric: That is priceless. I'd pay to see the first time he drives through some deep standing water and hydrolocks the engine. Stupidity knows no bounds.

Krashed989
10-02-09, 06:26 PM

Well at least that one is actually getting cold air rather than sucking it from above the exhaust! LOL

83CADMAN
11-30-09, 02:45 PM
Up here in Washington state we had a volcano erupt 1980 and spewed tons of ash that spread across the state. The fine ash was killing engins left and right and within just a few hours. The only way our State troopers could respond to stranded motorest was to have the fleet fitted with truck style oil bath cold air intakes. Talk about funny looking. At that time I drove a 73 Nova w/6cyl. To protect my engine I took a pair of my wifes nylons, a length of dryer vent hose and some duct tape and WA LA! custom cold air intake. I drove that Nove for 3 years after that.