: Traded my Escalade in

Canesfan
09-26-09, 05:08 PM
I just traded my Escalade in for a 2009 CTS-V; Black on Black. Very happy with the deal as I had quite a few miles on the Escalade and the lease was coming due. I wasn't really thinking about the CTS-V until I drove it. Wow, what a car.

I was wondering, I'm not overly impressed with the sound system. Has anyone had experience with upgrading? I have been searching the internet can't can't find anything about upgrading the Amp and Speakers. Please advise if you have. Thanks!!

aceofblitz
09-26-09, 06:09 PM
There is someone who posted pics of that foil thing you put for to negate vibrations, he installed it along with a subwoofer in the trunk.
I think you should go for it and buy the car, sound systems are a pretty easy deal and a lot of shops can easily do it for you.
And there's nothing like having a USB in your center console to stuff your music into, no 3rd party stuff needed for your interface and music, maybe just a subwoofer?
Then again I'm not really into that stuff, my stereo is usually off since I just want to hear my supercharger whine.

NeedCTS-v
09-26-09, 07:29 PM
So, when I got my V wasn't entirely happy with the audio either. I've played around with it for awhile and although not incredible, I do consider it acceptable.

I've done some looking into replacement gear, but because it is Bose, you'll need to replace the amps and the speakers. The OEM speakers run very low impedance so you won't just be able to do a speaker swap. Similarly, once you pull the amp, you'll lose your 5.1 processing and more importantly time alignment which is what gives the car it's relatively good staging characteristics.

Lastly, you will in all likelihood not want to change out the head unit so you'll need to find a good OEM adapter. There are a few out that have been around for a few years like the 360.2 (another forum member is using one in a subwoofer swap they just did). But if you want to step things up a notch, Audison recently launched a product called the Bit 1. I would consider that the current benchmark for SQ and it gives you full 8 channel (including 5.1 decoding) time domain and EQ control.

For amplification there are a lot of good options out there and considering the class of this car I wouldn't skimp. If it were me, I'd look at Audison, Genesis, Sinfoni for the top shelf stuff. If you're interested in keeping weight down and minimizing your foot print, you might look at the Alpine PDX series. They offer very good power, run about 85% efficient (you can keep your stock electrical) and are very small (about the size of a small hardback book).

As for speakers, I have not investigated the dash speakers yet but assume they run 2.5-3.5". If 3" you have a couple of decent options for matched sets. Again, I've only evaluated the higher end, but Focal (JM Labs) and Dynaudio (the Esotar 2 series is expensive but bad ass!) would be at the top of my list. The current factory door speaker is 9".

In any event, you have a lot of options. The Audison Bit 1 is high quality enough to build an entire system around (goes for under a grand) and you go from there. Also, JBL is releasing a very high end OEM interface with Real Time Room correction in the not to distant future called the MS8.

I may wait myself for the JBL unit.

Good luck!

Canesfan
09-28-09, 10:17 PM
I wanted to keep the factory Nav system and just replace the amp and speakers. I guess it's not as easy as it sounds. :stirpot:

NeedCTS-v
09-28-09, 10:53 PM
I wanted to keep the factory Nav system and just replace the amp and speakers. I guess it's not as easy as it sounds. :stirpot:

You just need to get an OEM interface like the bit one to run between the factory head and your new amps.

Assumption 1. The bose system is not analog, it uses the vehicle bus system.

Assumption2. Signal processing is not handled at the head unit/NAV but in the amplifier itself.

What this means: You can't just grab an analog signal from the head unit and maintain the current DSP settings or factory tuning.

The Bit One or 360.2 will act as the signal processor and x-over to your amps. These units should plug directly into the factory harness/buss.

Assumption 3. Only these Bose amps will work with these Bose speakers. The low resistance of these speakers will blow up most aftermarket amps and most aftermarket speakers will require a lot more power than the Bose amplifiers can provide at a nominal 4ohm load (standard for 12 volt applications).

What this means: You must replace the amplifier and the speakers.

nc09v2
09-29-09, 09:07 PM
Welcome aboard. I agree, the sound system is not our car's best feature; hoping that someone comes up with an easy plug/play upgrade soon.

Beyond the marginal tunes, the CTS-V is an awsome car in every way, you'll be happy with it.