: Best Wax for a Balck V? Black Box Turtle Wax?

09BlackV
09-26-09, 04:59 PM
Anyone recommend a really nice wax for a black V? I was thinking of using the Black Box from turtle wax, anyone used it?

Hawkeye2
09-26-09, 05:16 PM
www.zainobros.com

snum1fan
09-26-09, 05:52 PM
I have used the zaino, Meguiars gold, and mothers and I really havnt noticed a big difference in them all. There is a post on here somewhere where a guy did half of his hood with zaino and half with some other wax I think mothers and he said there was little difference in shine and durability.

Caroutisine
09-26-09, 06:11 PM
www.zainobros.com

Agreed.

commander112
09-26-09, 06:32 PM
I am about as anal as they get about car care. I have used Zaino on my Black Miata that was never allowed to see rain. It worked well but since Zaino is an optically clear polymer it does not hide flaws in the paint. Spider webbing and light scratches can clearly be seen through. It does shine great though. I do not believe it lasts any longer than any of the other polymer based solutions out there. I have used Turtle Wax Ice on our XLR and found that it offers similar results to the Zaino without all of the labor in application. Furthermore, it is way easier to work with. In my opinion if your finish is perfect and new the Ice is the way to go. Now if your paint has flaws that you need to hide or if the car has been exposed to the elements, my suggestion is as follows:
1) Get a clay bar kit and follow the instructions. Clean the entire car with the clay to remove contaminents that have attached themselves to the paint.
2) Rinse the car off and dry it completely.
3) Get a good Cleaner-Wax (one step stuff is fine). Mothers or Mcquires are good ones. Apply one good coat.
4) Rinse off the car again.
5) Finally, get a good pure carnuba was and re-wax the car.
I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you that black takes work and care to keep looking good but if you follow these suggestions your car will look really good.
One more thing, MAKE SURE YOU USE QUALITY TOWELS!!! You need to use USA made 100% cotton towels. Remove any tags and cut off the edging as they will scratch the paint. Same goes for microfiber towels. Cheap ones are not created equal.
One last thing, I use a polymer called Rejex on my airplane. It makes bugs and dirt just wipe off the finish. I recommended it to my friends that own boats and they all swear by it for their boats now. I am pointing this out since one of my boater friends is also my body shop guy. He now swears by it for cars too. I have not tried it though but intend to on my pickup or perhaps my Jeep before trying on the Caddy's.

Mark

chopmeat
09-26-09, 08:31 PM
I'm an anal nutcase, but I wash my car very often and really don't let the dirt stay on long.
My car is like GLASS!
I use speed shine from Griots garage. It's spray on.
I think the less you rub the darn paint the better!
Use only microfiber!

MReiland
09-26-09, 10:15 PM
I'm an anal nutcase, but I wash my car very often and really don't let the dirt stay on long.
My car is like GLASS!
I use speed shine from Griots garage. It's spray on.
I think the less you rub the darn paint the better!
Use only microfiber!

I use only Griots also, I even use their towels and applicators (& Clay, Leather Protector, Interior Cleaner, Plastic Protector, Polish well you get the point I like their stuff) , they don't have any tags or threads that can scratch.

dqw1
09-26-09, 10:38 PM
I tried the Black Box on my V and it worked very well. A friend of my then tried it on his Rover after he seen my car and was very pleased with the results also. I say go for it and test it. Otherwise, the other suggestions made are probably good also.

aco
09-26-09, 10:56 PM
I like a good, clean car but not anal about it. I just like drving them. It seems from reading many posts on many forums about detailing and cleaning cars, it all comes down to regular wash frequency. I'm sure the waxes, polymers, etc. help get the deep shines and extend wash intervals though.

dg144
09-27-09, 12:08 AM
Zaino Bros fantastic, the only stuff that has touched my 06 Z06 and will go on my Black CTS-V the day it arrives

nradcad
09-27-09, 01:34 AM
where do you buy high quality towels and what brand do you get?

Jpjr
09-27-09, 02:13 AM
The brand is less important than the ingredients.

I recommend, once the car is clean (polish if necessary) that you apply a sealant (poor boys is one great one), and then 2 coats of pure caranuba wax. The caranuba is the absolute best finish shine for black cars. It is one of those things that technology hasn't been able to beat even after all these years.

1BlinkGone
09-27-09, 04:18 AM
For me it's all about durability AND shine. I used carnuba waxes for years, but I got burned-out by constantly having to wax my cars- Carnuba just doesn't seem to hold up well in the hot California summer sun... no matter how gentle a detergent you use for washing.

For this reason of late I really liked the Meguiars NXT. Great shine, nice depth, great water sheeting and nice lifespan between waxes. I used it on Brilliant Black Pearl paint and it looked super. As nice as a good Carnuba? Well... no not quite. Not Concours quality, anyway. But a couple o' coats of NXT did wonders.

But if I have a 'crew' maintaining my cars (meaning I don't have to wax them), it's carnuba-based wax, period. For this, I really like Zymol products.

I'm sure Zaino and others like Meguiar's Gold Class, etc are pretty admirable. I just haven't tried any of those.

neuronbob
09-27-09, 07:45 AM
I love Zaino and the shine lasts for months, especially when it's maintained with Zaino wash. It's a lot of work to put on so I do it twice a year usually and maintain with the wash. I haven't done it to the V yet but will get around to it in the next month. Even just using the Zaino wash without Zaino on the car gives a great shine that lasts for a week or two.

AuPanda
09-27-09, 03:38 PM
Used to use Zaino but I now strongly prefer Rejex (www.corrsionx.com). It does a better job in my personal experience of protecting against bird droppings, road tar/grease, and bugs. I apply the stuff every four to six months.

caddiedrummer
09-27-09, 11:32 PM
After more sports cars than I care to remember (well over 25) and having read thousands of posts on BMW, Vette and Viper forums, and having used everything from Meguires, Griots, Zaino, Zymol, Banana Yellow and expensive exotic polishes and waxes I have come to the following conclusions

1. Most of the good stuff looks great. I grab whatever is handy-often NXT.

2. Wash often and use the best micro towels, use different colors for different chores

3. Be careful with wheels--don't use wheel cleaner sprays on polished and particulary chrome. Soap and water is all you need, then wax or use chrome polish.

4. Use a blow dryer to dry off the car and reduce swirls.

5. Avoid chips etc with 3M clear.

I am keeping it simple in my old age.

musclesbmf
09-28-09, 12:09 PM
How much time do you want to invest in polishing?
As many have said, the towels you use on the car is most important. I only use a "big blue" towel from properautocare.com. I have 4 of them, they are so good. If you want something that is easy to use, won't turn black trim white, and has great durability, I love the Klasse all-in-one product. Best I've ever used. And I'ved used them all. Zaino is great, but it's an all day exercise (no thanks). I also love the Menzerna products, but they turn trim white which means taping off all the trim (no thanks).

Just my $.02,
Mark

1BlinkGone
09-28-09, 06:35 PM
caddiedrummer- interesting you suggest the NXT! IMHO it's a great modern protectant that given a VERY nice shine, especially on black. I used to do 2-4 coats and it was pretty impressive looking for a modern polymer-type of thing. It also works EASY (on and off). You just don't want it on yer trim.

musclesbmf- I've never used Klasse, but have heard nothing but great things about it. That's the one beef I have with NXT- ya gotta watch the trim!

wfo
09-28-09, 08:30 PM
Zaino for sure. Although the Mequiers NXT is great too.

09BlackV
09-28-09, 08:33 PM
I picked myself up some NXT 2.0, i"ll give that a whirl...

nynd
09-28-09, 09:27 PM
NXT is what I use.. not bad! Also, has a nice scent.. LOL!

nradcad
09-28-09, 09:33 PM
I picked up some NXT. I have to say I really wasn't impressed by it. Really oily, really streaked easy, never seems to buff to a good shine. Honestly, my next stop is with some chemical guys glaze and wax products.

nynd
09-28-09, 10:01 PM
Other product I have is Klasse All In One and Sealant (two separate bottles). May want to try that. For the Blacks, I think you want to use a deep carnuba wax... and give it a few coats for that deep gloss shine.

Hawkeye2
09-29-09, 06:30 AM
Just to add a bit. I have Rejex as well but not seem to last as long as Zaino. As for time, I can do two cars in an afternoon. Just
let it bake in the sun for a few minutes and then you can wipe right off. The trick is to not use too much. Then spray the Z6 on
for a final shine.

On my daily driver I use the orange bottle Nu Finish. It seems to work quite well and is very easy on and off.

neuronbob
09-29-09, 07:23 AM
After going over the options, I just replenished my Zaino supply. It's a lot of work, but I'm off this weekend (yay) and can devote a little time. My plan is

Dawn wash
Clay bar
Dawn again
Z-AIO
Z2 X 1 layer.

This combo, in my experience in the harsh conditions of Northeast Ohio, and with the previous Z1 instead of AIO, lasts about six months. I plan to spray with Z6 weekly or biweekly and wash with Z7. Again, PITA to put on, but maintenance is a snap.

During the winter, the car is washed in the garage (unheated :( )....I put a space heater in the garage and use a bucket to wash and rinse. If I ever buy another house, it WILL have a heated garage with inside water supply!

musclesbmf
09-29-09, 10:39 AM
I'm amazed at all the NXT users, because like nradcad, I do not like it. It never buffs off evenly and I always apply sparingly with a porter cabble polisher. Streaks all over the place. Of course I ten mist it with water from a spray bottle and it's better, but still not up to snuff. And it never seems to last longer than a few weeks. I guess it's cheap and can easily be found locally.
But everyone has their own opinions. I'm just sharing mine.

As someone mentioned above, After polishing, carnuba wax is awesome although you don't need multiple coats of it because it is not a polymer like these others. A great polish and wax combo is Adam's Polishing.... great stuff.

Mark

1BlinkGone
09-29-09, 12:04 PM
I'm amazed at all the NXT users, because like nradcad, I do not like it. It never buffs off evenly and I always apply sparingly with a porter cabble polisher. Streaks all over the place. Of course I ten mist it with water from a spray bottle and it's better, but still not up to snuff. And it never seems to last longer than a few weeks. I guess it's cheap and can easily be found locally.
But everyone has their own opinions. I'm just sharing mine.

As someone mentioned above, After polishing, carnuba wax is awesome although you don't need multiple coats of it because it is not a polymer like these others. A great polish and wax combo is Adam's Polishing.... great stuff.

Mark

That is an interesting & unfortunate experience with NXT. I bought mine just off-the-cuff one day, and was pleasantly surprised with it. The bottle I had was a batch of the original NXT, not the newer 2.0 formula which I have no experience with whatsoever. Mine was always hand-applied and hand removed; and never had any streaks or trace residue at all...yes, I also would mist it with cold water on final wipe. Hmm. I'm wondering if they were changing around the formulas a bit, or there was a bad batch of it that went out? I don't doubt your experience with it Mark; just wondering why our experiences varied so widely. Mine lasted around 3-4 mos in the hot California summer heat before it was evident I needed to do it again. The winter here wasn't near as harsh on it.

Somebody else mentioned the NXT being 'oily'... this was not my experience with the particular bottle I had of it. No trace of it whatsoever on the paint after hand-buffing properly. It appears their quality-control might have been all over the map with this particular product, I dunno. I also used the Meguiars Detailer spray.

As far as Carnuba not needing multiple coats, I don't think that's correct, respectfully. I used to apply no less than 3 coats of Carnuba-based waxes on my cars. Of course, they looked like it when it was done, too. :D

I certainly don't find the NXT the end-all, be all of products. I just had a favorable experience with the bottle of it that I had but much prefer Zymol to NXT overal;, but I favor NXT's ease of use over the Zymol.

I'm eager to try some of these other products mentioned here- I just haven't done so.

Caroutisine
09-29-09, 02:07 PM
I have found Z5 to give better results than Z2 despite the fact that Zaino says Z2 is the best to finish with. I do use Z2 on the glass, works great.

musclesbmf
09-29-09, 10:06 PM
Hey 1BlinkGone,
I appreciate your response to my info. I'm definitely not a know it all, but just try to share my experiences with NXT and Carnuba's etc. I'm always willing to learn something new.

Thanks,
Mark