: tap for time serts

Payne86
09-26-09, 03:38 PM
First off I am a noob to this site but have been watching it since I bought my 99 sts back in March. I purchased the car with a blown head gasket for cheap and thought it was to nice to let it go. It has been a second project. I got the motor out w/subframe, Heads are off, and got my time-serts in hand. I didn't buy the kit but bought the replacment serts. I have rebuilt several motors and a automatic trans. So I figured I would save some money by getting a tap in town (phoenix) but have been unlucky in finding it. I was hoping someone might no what size I needed and or a place to find one.

mikelawson
09-26-09, 07:06 PM
Are you using actual timeserts or Norm's inserts?

If it's Norms, then you need a 5/8X11, if it's timeserts, then idk.
Mike

Ranger
09-26-09, 07:34 PM
This help?
http://www.timesert.com/html/gm.html

stoveguyy
09-26-09, 11:11 PM
buy a kit and sell it when done. only cost me $20 that way. you need a stepped drill and insert install tool too. unless you have those and just need a tap.

Taspeed
09-27-09, 01:08 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I just got through doing the same thing on a 97 sls. I was originally going to buy the inserts but ran across Jakes stud kit. I wouldn't use anything but the studs, and if you need a set of brand new bolts...I have a full set I'll let go for a deal. ;)