: Help with upgrading the audio system.

Black Hole
09-25-09, 12:55 PM
2001 Catera Sport with Bose CD/Tape head unit, 12 disk changer in the trunk, OnStar (which I don't use), and factory security.

I like the sound of the factory Bose system aside from the rattle in the drivers door (going to pull it apart this weekend and see if I can find it), and lack of MP3 or ipod capability.

I'm looking to upgrade the stock head unit if possible to something that will obviously play CD-R disks full of MP3's but also allow for my ipod or iphone to connect. I will also add a small amp and 12" Kicker Solobaric subwoofer in the trunk but I'm comfortable with that install....especially with an aftermarket head unit.

I would still like to keep the steering wheel controls and access to the 12 disk changer in the trunk if possible.......rather keep the steering wheel controls over the changer actually.

I know that I need the GM0S-06 adapter, but I've also read of all sorts of electrical issues when changing the radio.....OnStar problems, potential air bag issues (my air bag light is on at the moment...)....and I even read that the factory head unit had to be installed in the trunk in addition to the new head unit.

Please help.

Black Hole
09-25-09, 01:24 PM
I found the Sony CDX-GT630UI which is ipod/iphone compaitable for a reasonable $129.99.

I know that I'll need the Metra GMOS-06 Cadillac but I can pick that up for $59.99 (half price) if I buy it through Crutchfield at the same time as the radio.

I also could add the PAC SWI-PS to allow the steering wheel controls to work with the Sony for another $74.99. I probably wouldn't spend the money though.

I've found a few places where I could pickup the mounting kit....they're as cheap as $12.99 on ebay.

Is this as simple as it looks? I've been doing car audio installs since High School, but never on a vehicle with as much electronics as the Catera.

I've never hesitated to do an install like this on any previous car, but I've never had these same concerns.

Thanks in advance.

jtrent
09-25-09, 05:53 PM
Replace those Bose speakers otherwise that Kicker sub will drown out all your high and mid frequencies. Add some new full range speakers and a four channel amp and then add this piece, the re-Q5 (check it out at reqsound.com). You can tap this directly into the speaker leads coming out of the factory head unit and output to the two amplifiers. You don't need any adaptors and you get to keep all the factory controls including the OnStar and steering wheel controls as well as that factory changer. This piece also has a remote auxiliary module that you can hook your iPod to with a 3.5mm cable. Its not really that expensive, Crutchfield sells it for like $179, and it bypasses the factory bass limitation so your stereo will sound as good as it would with an aftermarket head unit, a friend of mine uses one in a 04 Escalade and he has been really happy with it.

jtrent
09-25-09, 05:54 PM
Replace those Bose speakers otherwise that Kicker sub will drown out all your high and mid frequencies. Add some new full range speakers and a four channel amp and then add this piece, the re-Q5 (check it out at reqsounddotcom). You can tap this directly into the speaker leads coming out of the factory head unit and output to the two amplifiers. You don't need any adaptors and you get to keep all the factory controls including the OnStar and steering wheel controls as well as that factory changer. This piece also has a remote auxiliary module that you can hook your iPod to with a 3.5mm cable. Its not really that expensive, Crutchfield sells it for like $179, and it bypasses the factory bass limitation so your stereo will sound as good as it would with an aftermarket head unit, a friend of mine uses one in a 04 Escalade and he has been really happy with it.

eastsidercaddy
09-27-09, 03:34 AM
jtrent is right on that note... you'll have all your steering wheel controls and all that good stuff you don't want to sacrifice. However if you have the money then you could go ahead and have all those adapters and have an aftermarket headunit. It's late and im not sure if i replied in your thread about the GM06 thing but yeah that is the best way i can think of for your new system. Onstar doesn't really matter, but again i've got a '97.

You should beable to install a new headunit and with your adapters you can have all the steering wheel contols, Ipod and mp3 luxuries and so forth. I would recommend the PART TWO install, so you could have your new HU internal amp with the BOSE amp working together with some new interior speakers. That wold be the best way to do it IMO. You'd also be able to have you Kicker Sub going at it with great sound. :yawn:

Black Hole
09-28-09, 10:22 AM
Hey eastsider....question.

Instead of completely redoing the audio system at this time, is there anything like the GM45-PA11 that would allow me to use the factory radio to control the iPod functions of my Iphone 3GS (running 3.1 OS)? In reality, that is really what I want.

I found some info on the GM45-PA11 which said it's not 3.0+ compaitable. I know there is something out there that would allow me to use the 3.5mm headphone jack, but my goal would be to have the song controls as well.

I'd be willing to give up my 12 disk changer if I could have the factory head unit control the ipod functions of the iPhone.

Black Hole
09-28-09, 12:21 PM
Nevermind....I found some info on the USA Spec page that states that the newer units are 3GS and 3.0+ compatible.

Looks like I'll be ordering mine today!

Thanks.

eastsidercaddy
09-29-09, 04:58 AM
yup..no prob. if u want to upgrade i got the guide!

Black Hole
09-29-09, 01:26 PM
I ordered the GM45-PA11 and the GM adapter cable that Crutchfield and a few other websites recommended....should be here tomorrow.

Here's my next question.......do you have to disconnect the changer AT THE CHANGER or can the cable be disconnected behind the radio?

Since I'll be using my iPhone, I obviously want to plug in the iPhone at the center console. I would think that I'd have enough cable if the GM45-PA11 connection was made behind the radio, but if it's at the changer in the trunk, I may have to find the extention cable (for like $30 that is currently out of stock just about everywhere) to mount the GM45-PA11 under the front seat or behind the dash.

I did find a write up here on this site with this exact setup (01 Sport, Bose CD/Tape/CD Changer, GM45-PA11) and he made the connection at the changer, then used the extension cable to mount the GM45-PA11 under the seat and ran the wire up under the parking brake.

eastsidercaddy
09-30-09, 04:00 AM
im pretty sure if you look behind where your CD changer is at there's a pin connector. that connector goes to the RADIO AMPLIFIER WIRING HARNESS, which is actually routed up to the passenger kick panel (if i remember correctly) to wiring harness for the BOSE/base sound systems.

That wiring harness travels back to the trunk in the rear deck where the amplifier and sound processor is. So to answer your question you would have to disconnect the CD Changer AT THE CHANGER LOCATION where the factory connector is.

When i first purchased my Catera, the original owner decided to have the factory upgrade to 12 disk rear cd changer. Nice, however it was like a universal. They did not use the stock location, but rather mounted it in the trunk and ran the cd cable to a small brainbox where a small controller was connected to. Then ran a radio cable to the back of the radio and you turn to FM 88.1 and thru the radio was your CD changer, and seperate control.
Factory location is in the right compartment in the trunk, and there's a wiring connector. That's for the plug and play cd changer. Lots of info but more is better than less. Hope that helps.

Black Hole
09-30-09, 08:42 AM
So I guess I'll need the extension cable too.....damn. I was hoping that the car had it's own "extension cable" ran from the dash to the trunk and I could just disconnect it at the dash.

fuzzkill
09-30-09, 09:42 AM
I just installed this in my car and I got away without ordering the extension cable. If you unclip the harness for the cd changer to have it going back towards the front of the car along with the length of the cable that comes with the unit it is just long enough to use the ipod comfortably at the center console.

I ran mine down the strut tower and then my unit is actually under the bottom half of the rear seat. And then I just have the cable coming out from under the rear seat up to the center console.

Black Hole
09-30-09, 11:20 PM
I just installed this in my car and I got away without ordering the extension cable. If you unclip the harness for the cd changer to have it going back towards the front of the car along with the length of the cable that comes with the unit it is just long enough to use the ipod comfortably at the center console.

I ran mine down the strut tower and then my unit is actually under the bottom half of the rear seat. And then I just have the cable coming out from under the rear seat up to the center console.

Due to the cable length, I did the same thing. I may consider purchasing the extension cord or look for an extension cord from Apple that would give me another 2-4' of cord.

Everything works, but whenever I change songs, I get an error message on my iPhone saying something about how the charger is not supported and it asks if it should go into airplane mode to reduce any possible interference. I obviously need the phone on as it's my phone.....anyone experience that issue? (I go back to searching....)

Black Hole
10-01-09, 09:54 PM
Well, I found out that the firmware for the GM45-PA11 is out of date (Crutchfield must have had this one in inventory for a while) and that's causing the error with my 3GS.

USA Spec is sending me an updated version and I'll return my current one when it gets here.

As for the extension cable, I found an iPhone/iPod extension cable but there are people complaining about the phone not charging while using the iPod functions.....and they run $25-40. OR I can get the USA Spec extension cable for $30 and use the regular short cable that came with the GM45-PA11.

Black Hole
10-08-09, 03:32 PM
I ordered an extension cable directly through USA Spec for $20 and received the cable and my new interface on Monday.

I had some time on Tuesday, so I swapped the interfaces and used the longer cable to hide the cables in the trim pieces and I used two short self tapping screws to keep the interface from moving from underneath the seat (just screwed into the carpet).

By mounting the interface under the seat, I now have plenty of cable to use for my iPhone where I can actually leave it plugged in as a charger for when using the phone as a phone. :D

I still get the "this accessory not accepted" error on occasion, but not every time I change songs like before. It's not perfect, but I now have 1200+ songs at my finger tips so no need for problems with it not reading burnt CD's anymore.