: heat guage doesnt move and no heat in passenger compartment

neiljmoore
09-25-09, 10:17 AM
I have a 97 catera . the heat guage does not move, there is little or no heat through the vents , Is the thermostat the only fix? Sometimes the car stutters when starting away from a standing stop then suddenly catches and takes off. could this be related to the car not warming up properly?Sometimes it runs very smoothly and then suddenly will start missing . Ive recently changed coil ,plugs and wires. didn't relly help. any input on this would be appreciated . I do my own maintenance and am being driven crazy by this sputtering problem . I tried to get it scoped but it wouldn't cooperate and ran smoothly until 20 minutes after I left the shop.I drove it the other day and it started missing and kept it up . I stopped the car and shut it off for twenty minutes, when I started it up again it ran real smooth until the next day when it started sputtering again. I just noticed oil in the plug valleys . CRIPES! is there any end to this?

Matera97
09-26-09, 12:31 AM
Well I'm not having that much issues, but I've just discovered tonight that I'm not getting heat on passenger side, weird...Gotta fix for that?

eastsidercaddy
09-27-09, 04:47 AM
neiljmoore: Your sputtering problem is more than likely due to a bad MAF. Also if you have oil in your plug valleys then it's time for a valve cover gasket change...sure you knew that but hey.

Also make sure the spark plugs you have are gapped correctly. I have the same "sputtering" problem and with my custom intake i've used a MAF from some V8 Filter w. the MAF on it and the "sputtering" is gone.

One more thing is to check your vacuum lines because if one's not working it may do that.

As for the main issue: GM built in a function to recalibrate the Heat/AC vents. While the Climate Control is off, press the AUTO and OFF buttons at the same time until you hear some winding noises. This may recalibrate the correct positions. More than likely the passenger side actuator is off track, and it's unfortunelty a pain to fix. If you get NO heat at all then you an need to change your heater control valve {HVC}. Hope that helps

neiljmoore
09-27-09, 01:25 PM
Well thanks for the help. I tried the recalibration thing on the heater and got no reaction of any kind. I guess I'll try the heater control valve .

One question about that. Both lines coming out of the heater controlo valve are quite warm/hot. I would think that if there is no hot coolant getting through the valve then it would have one side cold.. No?
I checked the vacuum lines and did find one issue: the line crossing the front of the motor that goes to the MAF comes off a tee at the maf and the other end was open. I plugged itand didn;t get any difference. I am sure it goes somewhere3. any input on that? again thanks for your help/

neiljmoore: Your sputtering problem is more than likely due to a bad MAF. Also if you have oil in your plug valleys then it's time for a valve cover gasket change...sure you knew that but hey.

Also make sure the spark plugs you have are gapped correctly. I have the same "sputtering" problem and with my custom intake i've used a MAF from some V8 Filter w. the MAF on it and the "sputtering" is gone.

One more thing is to check your vacuum lines because if one's not working it may do that.

As for the main issue: GM built in a function to recalibrate the Heat/AC vents. While the Climate Control is off, press the AUTO and OFF buttons at the same time until you hear some winding noises. This may recalibrate the correct positions. More than likely the passenger side actuator is off track, and it's unfortunelty a pain to fix. If you get NO heat at all then you an need to change your heater control valve {HVC}. Hope that helps

eastsidercaddy
09-29-09, 05:28 AM
YESSSS that does!!! Stock the engine makes like 180-185bhp, with the dual ram system with the vacuum actuators it makes 200bhp. That's pretty substantial just for and air intake. I recently had the same problem and same issues regarding it. This diagram will help you asses where the other end goes.
If it tees off, and its just a hose then it probably goes to the top of the vaccum solenoid behind the front intake tuning housing: #6 is your best bet. If not just look at it (somehow) and you'll probably see a nipple on a cylinder like object. Put the hose there. One more tip is when you got the motor running, hood up press down slowly on the throttle revv up rpms and around 3400 you should see that front actuator spring move. If so, you're done.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/PSM_1/intake.gif