: Car show at work today

dhemrick
09-24-09, 07:06 PM
I work for a pretty cool company that does periodic "social events" for the employees. There are a lot of guys (and gals) that have all kinds of great cars from old classics, to custom jobs, to nicer new cars so they have an annual car show to allow the car enthusiasts to show their rides. They also give us ice cream so it was a really great afternoon!

Of course, I brought the STS-V and it was one of the belle's of the ball. Everyone kept asking me three things
1) Q: That's the one with the Corvette motor, right?
A: No. This one has a supercharged Northstar motor. It's ALL Cadillac.
2) Q: Who did your custom interior (referring to the two tone red/black)
A: It came that way from the factory.
3) Q: Nice CTS!
A: It's an STS. Don't make me kick your ass.

It amazed me how many people gravitated toward that car when there were lots of other interesting vehicles around. I also brought my 1978 Oldsmobile Toronado XS and my lifted 2007 GMC Sierra, but the STS-V still stole the show.

Anyway, here is a picture from the car show with me standing proudly beside my beasts. (Sorry for the thumb. My co-worker does not know how to operate a camera apparently)

Florian
09-24-09, 07:31 PM
that two tone interior is definately cool....I really dig it.

F

freshchops
09-25-09, 05:37 AM
Nice car, nice job! I like that idea.

I was born in '78, so that Oldsmobile has got to be getting..... Old!

CIWS
09-25-09, 08:18 AM
I need an employer like this. :yup:

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-25-09, 08:34 AM
I notice you leave your engine and hood compartment covers on. I took all mine off the first day and they stil sit in the garage today. Right or wrong I think removing them keeps heat soak down a little. Besides you get to show off a real blower.. Not one of those aftermarket ricer superchargers hung off the side.:thumbsup:

Glad to see the V stole the show.:bouncy:

dhemrick
09-25-09, 01:50 PM
Nice car, nice job! I like that idea.

I was born in '78, so that Oldsmobile has got to be getting..... Old!

78 was a great year! It was the last year they stold the full sized Toronado and Eldorado (which I also have) before the great downsizing.

The Toronado has 82000 miles on the clock and is a very good survivor example. It even still has the original paint. The paint is starting to show it's age a bit on the hood, roof and trunk, but it still looks good. The interior is pretty much like new. Even the dash is uncracked and is still soft. Driving it feels like driving a new 1978 car. They just don't make them like that anymore. It is so soft, smooth and effortless to drive.

Anyway, here's me in front of the Toronado. I don't have a better pic of it on this computer, but I have attached one that shows a dealer brochure picture of another XS in the same color. Amazingly, the car still looks just like that.

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-25-09, 05:43 PM
Do you listen for fog horns when you drive that barge? What is she, like, 30 feet long?

dhemrick
09-25-09, 09:09 PM
I notice you leave your engine and hood compartment covers on. I took all mine off the first day and they stil sit in the garage today. Right or wrong I think removing them keeps heat soak down a little. Besides you get to show off a real blower.. Not one of those aftermarket ricer superchargers hung off the side.:thumbsup:

Glad to see the V stole the show.:bouncy:

I do leave them on there. Not sure why. They really don't make sense to me, but it would just be one more piece of crap in the garage to keep track of, so I just leave them in place. I have never had problems with heat soak, so I'm not sure it would make a difference to me.

And... don't EVEN get me started about ricers. I don't really want to own a polished turd econobox car that sounds like a fart going down the road.

dhemrick
09-25-09, 09:15 PM
Do you listen for fog horns when you drive that barge? What is she, like, 30 feet long?

She is a svelt 227.5 inches which comes out right at 19 feet. :cool2: That is about 3 inches longer than my 78 Eldorado which is based on the same platform. I have a thing for the big 70's 2 door barges. In fact, the 78 Eldo is what got me started buying Cadillacs.

I may be mistaken about this, but I believe that makes the 77-78 Toronado the longest front wheel drive production car ever made. I could be wrong about that, but I can't think of any other front wheel drive car that tops it.

If I ever think that my STS is large, I drive Jaimie (that's her name) and then I realize what truly huge car is like.