: 01 Timing tensioner interchange with 97?

WGoins88
09-23-09, 10:54 PM
So I have been looking into this...will the later tensioner interchange with the 97's? I looked at it and all the bolt holes are in the same place, just the pullies are in different locations. So does anyone know this, or should I take the chance and see if it will interchange? I do know that the belts are the same, tooth count and lengthwise.

'97 Tensioner
http://info.rockauto.com/Gates/Detail.html?tck285.jpg

'01 Tensioner
http://info.rockauto.com/Gates/Detail.html?tck285a.jpg

WGoins88
09-24-09, 03:20 PM
Upon further research, it seems that the rear timing cover (the metal one) is different where it is stamped out for the tensioner to attach to the block, and would need to be swapped out. I think I will be buying a newer style tensioner and rear cover and trying it out. If this proves to work, this will be great news for Catera owners with the early style tensioner. :bouncy:

elvin315
09-24-09, 03:30 PM
Upon further research, it seems that the rear timing cover (the metal one) is different where it is stamped out for the tensioner to attach to the block, and would need to be swapped out. I think I will be buying a newer style tensioner and rear cover and trying it out. If this proves to work, this will be great news for Catera owners with the early style tensioner. :bouncy:

The belt tensioner was the object of a service bulletin/recall. I don't believe you can even buy the earlier version anymore. The upgraded version is universal and will fit all L81 V6 engines.

jasonj92
05-18-10, 11:04 PM
i just got done looking at this ..... 98 catera block vs 2000 catera block
the tensioners are def different and the 98 block has the tensioner down lower towards the crank pullley the 2000 block has the tensioner up further on the block :mad2: and the metal timing belt plate is different as well to accomodate the differences guess illl be using the 98 style tensioner

Kodan
05-19-10, 08:26 AM
It depends on the engine number which tensioner you need.
For the Opel Omega there are three models.
Check your engine number for the right one.

Peter