: New V running rough

4DoorV
09-22-09, 10:02 AM
Picked up the new V 4 days ago and noticed the following symptoms:

rough idle/choppiness/fluxuation in RPMs (regardless if parked, accelerating, or constant speed), some hesitation, when stopped, car lunges when brake is released.......

Any ideas?? (plugs, MAF, TB, ???)

wait4me
09-22-09, 10:08 AM
Plugs are probably bad, and dirty MAF. That stock filter for some reason lets alot of dust thru. For those guys in dusty areas...

RWFJR
09-22-09, 10:18 AM
Had a similar problem after some 3500 miles. Thought it may be some bad gas. Put some STP fuel system cleaner in and it was gone in 25 miles.

4DoorV
09-22-09, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the input. Will go to dealer and have them look at it. Hopefully they will be able to pinpoint the problem. I tried the fuel additive approach already and did not change condition. Leaning towards bad plug(s) or dirty MAF (as wait4me mentioned). (older build date of 12/08, which I posted a question last week about)

wait4me
09-22-09, 11:34 AM
If it is 12/08 just change the plugs and the problem will be fixed.

Kadonny
09-22-09, 01:00 PM
I have a 12/08 car and I get some hesitation at low rpms (1200 or 15000) when cruising at highway speeds and demand slight acceleration. Was there and issue with the early plugs? Guess I need to change them.

Jesse, what plugs do you recommend and can I change them myself?

4DoorV
09-22-09, 01:25 PM
Maybe a dumb questions, but if it is the plugs, will the dealer be able to recognize that the plugs are bad? (running diagnostics, troubleshooting, etc.)

wait4me
09-22-09, 02:19 PM
Ive just been dumping in NGK TR6 copper core plugs in and have had no issues at all.

musclesbmf
09-22-09, 04:27 PM
Yup... NGK TR6 in all boosted applications. Great plugs and cheap too.

Jpjr
09-23-09, 12:38 AM
Yup... NGK TR6 in all boosted applications. Great plugs and cheap too.

If I recall those plugs run colder, which means you ideally should get a tune before running them.

Just pointing this out because the average Cadillac owners will assume they are Autolites.

wait4me
09-23-09, 09:00 AM
If I recall those plugs run colder, which means you ideally should get a tune before running them.

Just pointing this out because the average Cadillac owners will assume they are Autolites.

Colder plug on a non supercharged car.. On a supercharged car, they should be the same temp setting as stock.

TR55 are what we use on a non supercharged car.

Kadonny
09-23-09, 10:03 AM
Jesse, how hard is it to replace the plugs and what is the issue with the Dec 08 plugs? Thanks.

wait4me
09-23-09, 10:14 AM
The december batch seems to be failing on the ceramic section inside the plug near the tip. Even on bone stock cars, the ceramic is braking loose and causing it to move up and down on the center electrode part, then eventually braking apart. It looks like a ceramic ring, it just moves up and down on the center. Then chunks are broke off, What you have left is just the center of the electrode and the tip, if any left.

musclesbmf
09-23-09, 10:22 AM
And using a colder plug wouldn't require a tune... not sure where you gather that from. And for those keeping score, what Jesse is saying is that the TR6 is the same heat range as our stock plugs and on non-supercharged cars, he uses the TR55 which is one range hotter.

Mark

Kadonny
09-23-09, 10:24 AM
Ok, so I got some TR6s on order, how hard is it for my to change them at home?

wfo
09-23-09, 09:05 PM
It's a new car. Pretty easy decison, IMHO. Bring that car to your dealer ASAP my friend...let warranty deal with it.

Get it taken care of.