: nav system, what else does it do?

sharky1
09-21-09, 04:44 PM
if I buy a car w/o nav, do I also lose the hard drive to load music on?

nynd
09-21-09, 06:04 PM
Not that I recall. Then you'll have the full 40g for music.. as the nav cars reserve some portion of that for the nav system.

tedcmiller
09-21-09, 11:42 PM
All CTS's (including the CTS-V) have a 40 GB harddrive regardless of whether or not they have the Navigation system. As indicated by other posters, the Navigation system will use about 30 GB for maps, leaving 10 GB for music if it is present. Otherwise, you have the whole 40 GB for music.

NeedCTS-v
09-21-09, 11:54 PM
More a response to your post heading and not the question in the body of your post.. The NAV system also provides DVD audio/video playback and 5.1 decoding (given the right source).

Also, the NAV itself does provide traffic and weather service.

sharky1
09-22-09, 12:55 AM
thx for the response...what is 5.1 decoding?

abbas
09-22-09, 02:13 AM
You can play DVD-Audio or DTS CDs that have 5.1 discrete surround sounds. 3 front, 2 rear, and .1 for the subwoofer. Thats mean you can get a full surround sound.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it can play SACDs?

Titaniumseeker
09-22-09, 10:55 AM
All CTS's (including the CTS-V) have a 40 GB harddrive regardless of whether or not they have the Navigation system. As indicated by other posters, the Navigation system will use about 30 GB for maps, leaving 10 GB for music if it is present. Otherwise, you have the whole 40 GB for music.

Really? Are you sure about that?? Where can I find this information? Thxs.

tedcmiller
09-22-09, 12:40 PM
This information is available on the Cadillac CTS web site, in the CTS owner's manual and several other places. All clearly state that the CTS has a 40 GB harddrive, and that approximately 10 MB of that space is available for music or other material if the car has the navigation system. This is true for both the standard CTS and the CTS-V.

Jeffrey
09-22-09, 01:50 PM
The NAV system also provides DVD audio/video playback and 5.1 decoding (given the right source).

Hi,

The NAV will playback a standard DVD video?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Caroutisine
09-22-09, 02:11 PM
It will play a DVD, but no picture on the screen unless the vehicle is in park.

Jeffrey
09-22-09, 02:39 PM
It will play a DVD, but no picture on the screen unless the vehicle is in park.

Hi,

Thank you. I didn't think GM's legal department would have blessed it playing DVD videos with the car moving. I would have liked it for my 15 month old girl to watch from her car seat in the back.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

NeedCTS-v
09-22-09, 05:00 PM
Hi,

Thank you. I didn't think GM's legal department would have blessed it playing DVD videos with the car moving. I would have liked it for my 15 month old girl to watch from her car seat in the back.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

You might ping Jesse @ W4M. I know that he sells a NAV unlock kit that allows full use while driving although I'm not sure if this includes the DVD as well.

Jeffrey
09-22-09, 06:16 PM
You might ping Jesse @ W4M. I know that he sells a NAV unlock kit that allows full use while driving although I'm not sure if this includes the DVD as well.

Hi,

Thank you. That may be just what I need to entertain my 15 month old baby.

I'm new around here. How do I reach Jesse?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

NeedCTS-v
09-22-09, 06:45 PM
Hi,

Thank you. That may be just what I need to entertain my 15 month old baby.

I'm new around here. How do I reach Jesse?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

He's a forum vendor but you can also look up his website.

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

Jeffrey
09-22-09, 07:26 PM
He's a forum vendor but you can also look up his website.

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

Hi,

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

4DR_ZR1
09-22-09, 08:10 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/166703-dvd-player-safety-feature-09-ctsv.html

Titaniumseeker
09-22-09, 09:24 PM

Yes it does.... Wife watches movies while I cruise along on long trips. Great Product!

Fubar75207
09-22-09, 10:01 PM
My favorite part of the nav system is the traffic and weather updates. On my way (27 miles) to work this morning I received an alert about an accident 10 miles up the road. I avoid the accident and made it to work without the additional headache. It was very nice.

Also whenever I want to know what the weatherman is forecasting for the next couple of days in my area, it is just one click (info button) away.

I use those function almost everyday. I have even got to where I use onstar to make reservations and find whatever store I need.

Titaniumseeker
09-23-09, 12:44 AM
This information is available on the Cadillac CTS web site, in the CTS owner's manual and several other places. All clearly state that the CTS has a 40 GB harddrive, and that approximately 10 MB of that space is available for music or other material if the car has the navigation system. This is true for both the standard CTS and the CTS-V.

Yes, provided that the radio installed is not the basic radio. The HDD is not supported with this radio model.

irvvvine
09-23-09, 02:42 AM
I like the feature that allows you to program in phone numbers for nav destinations. I then use the address book screen as a speed dial for my blue-tooth linked phone. You press the button "call" instead of "go."

abbas
09-23-09, 07:36 PM
I wish it allowed you to transfer your phone contacts from your phone to the Nav instead of programming them one by one in.

tedcmiller
09-23-09, 07:50 PM
Titaniumseeker is correct. On the basic CTS there is a basic radio ($0 additional) that does not provide the 40 GB hard drive. To get the 40 GB hard drive you have to spend an additional $1000 dollars for the first radio upgrade which does include the 40 GB hard drive. To go to the third level which provides both the 40 GB hard drive and the Navigation system costs another $3145. However, it should be noted that the basic radio with no hard drive is not available on the CTS-V. The first upgrade to the radio with no nav system is a no cost option that is included in the price of the car. The upgrade to a radio with the nav system is an additional $2145.

Tags63
09-24-09, 12:11 PM
Hey Guys!!

It's been a while for me since I sold my V1 but now looking to get into an '09 since my E63 was totalled last week.
Just to ask another question regarding the Nav in the car. If you were to get a V with the Nav delete, Do they also remove any other options with that?? I'm just curious because you know how sometimes they bundle a few options together. I like the nav but I have on my list of choices 1 car without the nav or recaro's and the other just without the Nav but it has the recaro's abd they both have very low miles on the clock. Both cars are Certified for 6yr/100k and a tad over $48k which I think is an awesome price. After researching it for a while, it doesn't make sense to buy new and take such a big hit immediately.
Any feedback would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Paul:burn:

NeedCTS-v
09-24-09, 12:45 PM
Hey Guys!!

It's been a while for me since I sold my V1 but now looking to get into an '09 since my E63 was totalled last week.
Just to ask another question regarding the Nav in the car. If you were to get a V with the Nav delete, Do they also remove any other options with that?? I'm just curious because you know how sometimes they bundle a few options together. I like the nav but I have on my list of choices 1 car without the nav or recaro's and the other just without the Nav but it has the recaro's abd they both have very low miles on the clock. Both cars are Certified for 6yr/100k and a tad over $48k which I think is an awesome price. After researching it for a while, it doesn't make sense to buy new and take such a big hit immediately.
Any feedback would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Paul:burn:

Paul,

My understanding is that you do not lose any other options if you were to go with an '09 Nav delete car. This being said, it seems from other posts that all '10 models come with Nav standard.

NeedCTS-v
09-24-09, 12:50 PM
Another cool feature I just discovered and like (most of you probably already know about this) is the touch screen favorite channel selection.

When the NAV screen is in its retracted "down" position, you still have touch control for the exposed area. With this in mind, you can select favorite station from all radio modes and assign them as fav 1-5, etc. I'm tickled by this feature because I can simply touch select the station and without having to select FM, XM, etc. It's a minor feature but great for usability.

sharky1
09-24-09, 05:34 PM
Need cts-v, can I ask where you found those cars? I've not found any under 52,900, looking at ebay...and maybe I can use those as leverage on this other dealer...Thx

NeedCTS-v
09-24-09, 10:48 PM
Need cts-v, can I ask where you found those cars? I've not found any under 52,900, looking at ebay...and maybe I can use those as leverage on this other dealer...Thx

I think that was Tags63 reporting low priced Vs.