: PayPal Settlement

LacSeville
07-29-04, 04:47 PM
Did anyone else get that email?
How many, including myself, opened an account between those time?
Are you going to make a claim to get a payment?
What exactly did they do?
What does PayPal benefit from telling every one of their customers about this?

I read a lot of that mumbo jumbo, but it was confusing legal talk! I, personally was not aware of any wrong doings, so I don't think I'm going to get in on that....

caddyshack24
07-29-04, 04:53 PM
NOOO !! It's a scam! .. they didnt do a damn thing, they just want your personal info so they can clean you out. Them and Ebay are always targetted for scams.

Btw, do you mind forewarding me a copy of that? You can 'XXXX' out any personal info, It'd be cool.

tru504187211
07-29-04, 05:25 PM
Got the same damn email...

LacSeville
07-29-04, 05:28 PM
i would but you have opted "not to receive emails" in your preferences. i just need your addy and it's done...

BeelzeBob
07-29-04, 05:29 PM
I got it too. Is it really a scam?

LacSeville
07-29-04, 05:30 PM
And.... HOLY SNOT fellas! I was considering doing it, and I know there are sooo many people that got that email sometime or another than did not have the guys at cadillacforums to advise otherwise! Damn, that was pretty close... are those mail addresses and litigation # real stuff? peoples names?

It's looks extremely believable to me!

LacSeville
07-29-04, 05:36 PM
i just called PayPal, and they said it's for real....
I also sent it to spoof@paypal.com, and they already responed that it is legit.

caddyshack24
07-29-04, 06:20 PM
Damn, Ooops? so many scams.. figured i'd take the paranoid route. Nice detective work LacSeville. I checked my mail, I got nothin' .. getting cash back?

rainingzigzags
07-30-04, 12:04 AM
i got one of those e-mails too... i got ripped off on ebay and i sent in a fraud complaint and paypal didn't do a damn thing for me.. so i lost 300...

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 11:24 AM
i open my account with them at least 2 years ago but i have never used it , i did get the email tho but im not gonna do anything with it

LacSeville
07-30-04, 01:03 PM
actually it says somewhere in there, that if you do not wish for your name or account to be used in litigation, you must send an email or letter to somebody. otherwise you will be be included in it all although you opt not to collect money. if the ruling is in favor of the prosecution, (which i doubt it will be) the money will be more evenly dispersed and not in the hands of a few small group that is trying to get easy money...

caddyshack24
07-30-04, 07:28 PM
Haha i just got the email. Talking about a nice sized chunk of change.
They are throwing some cash around!! I'm not doing anything, emails.. phone or sending a letter. Nothing.

You remember when the CD manafacturers had a lawsuit, I'm makiing these numbers up. But it was like 20 million and it went to everybody who got into the lawsuit (anybody who owned a CD).. ended up with maybe 20 bucks a peice. heh

Elvis
07-30-04, 07:47 PM
I got it but never thought it was a scam. They addressed me personally and I never get spam at that address.

Not sure I want to sign on. Paypal has been good to me even though I think they take too big of a cut. I most likely wasn't a victim. When I get time I'll wade through all the legal mumbo jumbo and make a decision. $20 bucks is $20 bucks.

Rolex
07-30-04, 11:01 PM
The lawsuit is legitimate. Everybody and their dog will probably collect from this, which will likely make the total about 5 bucks a peice to us (and make the attorneys rich). There is chatter all over the web about this. Here's some info I found on a news site:

"According to the settlement, PayPal will pay $9.25 million into a settlement fund, to be paid out to members of the class and the attorneys. The company also was required to change its business practices, which it says it's already done.

The attorneys are asking the court for $3,332,500, plus reimbursement of expenses of up to $135,000, or around 37 percent of the $9.25 million settlement.

Those who actually went through PayPal's dispute resolution process will get the lion's share of the portion of the expected $5.78 million that actually goes to account holders; any account holder can get a split of $1 million reserved for them."