: Belt problems

Onalaska
09-21-09, 09:07 AM
I just had the power steering pulley get loose and shread the belts from the crankshaft to the power steering pump and the pump to the supercharger on my XLR-V. The STS-V engine must be similar with the supercharger being driven off of the large power steering pump pulley. This is the second time it has happened on this car which is stock now with about 42,000 miles on it. The dealer says the power steering pump and pulley will have to be replaced. I searched both XLR-V and STS-V forums and didn't find where anyone mentioned this before so I hope this is not a common problem. Still it left me stranded about 700 miles from home and there are no parts available so I had to rent a car to continue my trip. Anyone else have belt problems?

PSRmark
09-24-09, 03:18 AM
The XLR-V is different than the STS-V belt routing...the S/C on the XLR-V is run off of the P/S as you mentioned, but the STS-V is run off of the Crankshaft pulley.

I worked at a Cadillac dealership as a Tech/Vseries tech for 7 years and have never seen one just come loose like that for no reason...are you sure that pulley wasn't aftermarket? as in upgraded for more boost? also, when they replace that pulley and belt make sure they replace the Bolt as well as it is a torque to yeild bolt.

meekna
09-24-09, 08:10 AM
When I brought my STS-V home and took off all the plastic covers, I found shreads of belt laying around and wrapped around the PS shaft. I thought it was pieces of the current belt, but further inspection found both belts perfectly fine. I assume that it was from a previous belt and the person doing the work just didn't clean up the shreads.

Onalaska
09-24-09, 08:54 AM
The XLR-V is different than the STS-V belt routing...the S/C on the XLR-V is run off of the P/S as you mentioned, but the STS-V is run off of the Crankshaft pulley.

I worked at a Cadillac dealership as a Tech/Vseries tech for 7 years and have never seen one just come loose like that for no reason...are you sure that pulley wasn't aftermarket? as in upgraded for more boost? also, when they replace that pulley and belt make sure they replace the Bolt as well as it is a torque to yeild bolt.

Interesting, I wondered if the STS-V was different from the XLR-V. Probably due to packaging of the engine for that body style. That makes the XLR-V unique which makes parts even more scarce. Once I got the remains of the old belts off the pulley it was loose and I could unscrew the bolt by hand so it's possible it backed off. The back of the pulley was scraping on the pump and I could see where it was rubbing by the metal filings. The service history listed the power steering pump being replaced in the past and later the power steering pulley being replaced. The dealer is waiting on parts, I'll make sure he knows to replace the bolt on the pulley as well. Thanks for the info.

CIWS
09-24-09, 10:01 AM
That makes the XLR-V unique which makes parts even more scarce.

The XLR-V and STS-V are the only two cars with the 4.4L S/C'd Northstar, so they are both unique and have their individual quirks despite sharing some common parts. The XLR-V doesn't get our one of a kind air filter either. ;)

PSRmark
09-24-09, 06:51 PM
Interesting, I wondered if the STS-V was different from the XLR-V. Probably due to packaging of the engine for that body style. That makes the XLR-V unique which makes parts even more scarce. Once I got the remains of the old belts off the pulley it was loose and I could unscrew the bolt by hand so it's possible it backed off. The back of the pulley was scraping on the pump and I could see where it was rubbing by the metal filings. The service history listed the power steering pump being replaced in the past and later the power steering pulley being replaced. The dealer is waiting on parts, I'll make sure he knows to replace the bolt on the pulley as well. Thanks for the info.

That makes sense then. It takes a lot of force to torque that bolt down and you cant do it without securing the p/s pulley. If they just torqued it until the pulley would spin then that would be the cause for it coming loose.

Also, the new bolt will have locktite already on it. If by chance it doesn't be sure they put some on it to prevent this from happening again.

Onalaska
09-24-09, 11:36 PM
That makes sense then. It takes a lot of force to torque that bolt down and you cant do it without securing the p/s pulley. If they just torqued it until the pulley would spin then that would be the cause for it coming loose.

Also, the new bolt will have locktite already on it. If by chance it doesn't be sure they put some on it to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for the advise. I will make sure this dealer (different from the first one) knows about the torque on the new bolt. I told him today to order one if he hadn't already. I also ordered all three belts just to have on hand since no one stocks them anywhere. There are no pulleys available from GM so they placed an order with their supplier. No delivery date yet!

PSRmark
09-25-09, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the advise. I will make sure this dealer (different from the first one) knows about the torque on the new bolt. I told him today to order one if he hadn't already. I also ordered all three belts just to have on hand since no one stocks them anywhere. There are no pulleys available from GM so they placed an order with their supplier. No delivery date yet!

Maybe you can give D3 a call, they might have some factory pulleys in stock.