: Positive Battery Cable Replacement Suggestions

tratar
09-21-09, 03:36 AM
Hi everyone, I would like to replace my positive battery cable. For the ones that have done this themselves I would appreciate your suggestions on how and what you did to fabricate your new one to make it solid. Especially I see at the battery post there are two other positive leads going to the relay boxes. Did you leave the original terminal end alone and splice your new cable or did you make a new end as well. Some details on how you made this work from top to bottom would be nice.
thank you very much,
Tratar

ewill3rd
09-21-09, 06:45 AM
The headaches you will incur are not worth trying to fabricate your own cable.
Buy and OE replacement cable and install it unless you are modifying the location of the battery.
The splices and connections in the factory cable are made to be reliable.
Anything "homemade" and spliced will end up causing you pain down the road. The time you will waste and problems you will have will certainly offset the cost of a factory cable.

WGoins88
09-21-09, 09:17 AM
Agreed. I pulled some parts I needed off a Catera in a yard, and it was written on the window that it was junked due to electrical problems. Yeah I can see why, a cheap chinese positive battery clamp with the 2 wires shoved in it and screwed down as tight as possible, and was still loose. Not only that but the wires were melted, showing indication that it was shorting out.

I would purchase the OEM one to prevent problems.

whoareyou4
09-21-09, 09:47 PM
If anyone can find an OEM positive battery cable let me know because I have had no luck.

WGoins88
09-21-09, 10:05 PM
GMPartsDirect.com carries them, but you have to call them for the price. I believe the negative one is around $45 and with the positive being so long, I would assume it's around $60-75.

whoareyou4
09-21-09, 11:14 PM
Last time I spoke with them they claimed it was not available, but they were more then willing to sell the whole harness that goes through there but not the individual positive cable
so that's interesting. i guess it can make all the difference on who you speak with.

tratar
09-22-09, 03:25 AM
Thank you guys. I checked with the local dealer and they quoted me $380 for the positive harness but they would have to order it. It seems rather high but it looks like I don't have to many choices unless you guys know of other part dealers that may have the same item for less. I will try and contact gmpartsdirect as well. Thank you again for your help.

ewill3rd
09-22-09, 08:33 AM
I can't promise we'll be lower but contact Luke by sending a PM to Lindsay Cadillac Parts or post your request in the Lindsay Cadillac area of the vendor's section and tell him what your price is and ask if he can beat it.

elvin315
09-22-09, 02:39 PM
Not only that but the wires were melted, showing indication that it was shorting out.

A short circuit isn't the likely cause of melted insulation. More probably the cable gauge was too small or the connection at either of the terminals was poor causing the resistance to increase. The resultant heat is what melted the insulation. Either way it's best to use an OEM cable, clean the terminals both on the cable and the battery, and use dielectric grease at both ends to prevent corrosion. If buying a new cable here proves too expensive try searching for a Vauxhall Omega cable in the UK. The Omega was more common there so availability and price should be better. Shipping costs more though so there may be no advantage.