: recaros or no?

sharky1
09-20-09, 11:06 PM
Hi guys, former 05 owner , want to buy a used 09, have it shippped to Oregon...one of the mags barfed on the recaros, do i want them or not? Also, what about the sunroof? Do you like yours? Thx in advance

nradcad
09-20-09, 11:08 PM
:hide:

Razorecko
09-20-09, 11:22 PM
sunroof creaks but has gone away after some aligning and sealing ( either that or i just ignore it ) nice in the summer though. All the way back on the highway there is very minimal wind noise. Seats. Go and sit in them and see what you think. This is all a matter of how your body likes recaros or the regulars.

62Jeff
09-20-09, 11:54 PM
Welcome. There are a lot of threads discussing various people's opinions on the Recaros, but bottom line as Razorecko said - go sit in them, better yet - test drive them.

I bought a car with Recaros, returned it 10 days later and bought one with base seats. My sketchy back couldn't handle the stiffer Recaro's and I was unable to adjust them to suit my skinny butt. I figure I sat "on" the seats instead of "in" the seats putting the lower lumbar kibbles in all the wrong spots for me.

But I digress, we've already beaten the Recaro's versus Base Seats to death in other threads, it really comes down to personal preference and what you plan to use the car for.

09BlackV
09-21-09, 12:06 AM
Cooling option is nice on recaros, it does make a difference, especially is you live in the desert.

SlvrBullIT
09-21-09, 12:21 AM
1) If you track - recaros, if you cruise - standard.... But as a wise man once told me....
Go and sit in them and see what you think. This is all a matter of how your body likes recaros or the regulars. - Razorecko

IMHO, I love the recaros, took a good week to find the right position, but afterwards... I'm not giving them up....EVA!!!! They were so tight and snug on the track... I swear by them. Moreover, I have driven around in the standard seats..... If still perplexed... back to #1 ^^^^

Florian
09-21-09, 12:32 AM
The recaros are well worth the cash....the standard seats dont even come close to the comfort of the recaros....having the pleasure of driving cars with both seats, you get my .02

F

marktanner
09-21-09, 02:02 AM
I've had both seats, first the base seats in my '08 CTS, and then the Recaros in my V. IMHO, the Recaros are better in every way. They have a lot more support, especially laterally, under the thighs, and in the lumbar area, with multiple adjustments. The only bad thing about all the adjustments is that you can also get it horribly wrong, but once they are dialed in, they are great. This can take time, though. I also feel that they look better, plus the metal pedals and the available (only with the Recaros) microfiber wheel and shifter really add to the specialness of the car. I've found that the seats and the wheel also add to the car's street cred quite a bit. When you are showing off the car at rest, it all elicits a lot of ooos and ahhs, and seems to make a really strong impression on people. As far as the driving, I feel much better connected to the car in the Recaros, plus I don't have to work so hard to stay put in the corners.

Of course, $3700 with the microfiber is not an insignificant chunk of change. If you can, try both, and do drive them both in a spirited fashion. Spend as much time as you need to adjust them, especially the Recaros, and get help if necessary to figure out all of the adjustments. The seats are a very important interface in a high performance automobile.

Aron9000
09-21-09, 03:42 AM
A friend of mine has a Porshe 911 GT3 I've driven a couple of times. It had a set of Recaros in it(hell they didn't even recline), but they were some of the best seats I've ever plopped my fat ass into(5'6", 34" waist, 180lbs). If you are a freaking huge dude I could see you not fitting into a set of Recaros at all. Overall they hit my back, butt, and shoulders at all the right places. They were firm, but well padded, and the huge bolsters didn't let you move one bit around the corners. This car also had a five point race harness installed in it, which felt right at home. The only downside about the whole setup was the gymnastics required to get in and out of that car, which was partly to blame on it sitting 1.5" off the ground.

SlvrBullIT
09-21-09, 05:19 AM
@Aron9000

Hence, my entry and exit method..... Lie down on the ground and roll in....

While I am a huge person, the recaros fit me just fine. I've had 2 back surgeries stemming from a going of the cliff dukes of hazzard style and rolling x5 times, wife was driving, the recaros feel good to me. The easy out feature is a god send, otherwise, once I'm in the car, I ain't gettin out unless I have to use the head because getting in and out is a "work out"....

Gary Wells
09-21-09, 05:39 AM
I cannot add to or subtract from anything posted by the others. I have the Recaros and love them, I have a solid roof and feel the same about it, but I would not let either one be a deal breaker on the right deal with everything else the way that I wanted it. HTH

sharky1
09-21-09, 08:34 AM
thanks for the replies...there are zero v's here in southern Oregon, so no chance to try recaros...I guess i'll try a standard cts seat...I did have back surgery a few months back, and I dont know if I want to feel "enveloped" bya seat...I dont remember having any gripes about the seats in my 05..apparently, there is someone here in Medford that bot from Scott at Superior, Jeff, are you on this forum? Thx again

Kadonny
09-21-09, 09:58 AM
It's really a money decision. Do you want to spend 3k on seats? If so, then get the Recaros as they are superior. I personally decided I didn't want to spend the extra money on the seats and I am perfectly happy that I didn't as I find the standard seat very comfortable and perfectly acceptable.

nynd
09-21-09, 10:32 AM
The seats make the car a race car... go for them as they complete what you are driving! I was debating the same, but love the seats! And when someone sits in it, they know right away, this ain't your normal CTS.

demorgan59
09-21-09, 11:03 AM
I cannot add to or subtract from anything posted by the others. I have the Recaros and love them, I have a solid roof and feel the same about it, but I would not let either one be a deal breaker on the right deal with everything else the way that I wanted it. HTH
Recaros and solid roof here, too and ditto.

Ross Racing
09-21-09, 12:09 PM
I did not want a car with out Recaro's even though I wasn't going to track it. The cooling feature is GREAT, they look good and to me are very comfortable. Thankfully I did not settle.

OldDrummer55
09-21-09, 11:32 PM
Love the Recaros but am not a big fan of the wife demanded ultraview. Pops and ticks. The dealer fixed 90% of it, but a $70k car shouldn't have any noises...

NeedCTS-v
09-21-09, 11:34 PM
Love the Recaros but am not a big fan of the wife demanded ultraview. Pops and ticks. The dealer fixed 90% of it, but a $70k car shouldn't have any noises...

X2! The roof is my only regret but if given the choice of ordering a 6M/Recaro/Roof delete and waiting a bunch of months and getting the one that I found, I'd make the same choice again.

I really like my Recaros!

Kadonny
09-22-09, 09:48 AM

I'm sorry, but that statement is crazy. You have almost a racecar for god's sake, the whole car was designed for performance. You then throw in a moonroof that takes up at least 60% or more of a once rigid roof and how can you not expect it to creak.

I couldn't give 2 shits about my OPEN roof creaking a little bit when I'm driving this engineering marvel. I just press the accelerator and smile a bit more.

Vrocks
09-22-09, 11:25 AM
I'm sorry, but that statement is crazy. You have almost a racecar for god's sake, the whole car was designed for performance. You then throw in a moonroof that takes up at least 60% or more of a once rigid roof and how can you not expect it to creak.

I couldn't give 2 shits about my OPEN roof creaking a little bit when I'm driving this engineering marvel. I just press the accelerator and smile a bit more.
My CTS is an '08 and the roof doesn't creak nor does my brothers '09 V. If the ultra view is creaking it's defective and should be fixed.

My V has the Recaro seats... I really like the regular seats but I wanted the extra support, plus they look better / have cooling.

cbloveday
09-22-09, 11:51 PM
Have the recaros. Love em. Wouldn't want normal seats if recaros were available. I am not a small person by width standards. I wear a XXL.
Love the fit. After having recaros, couldn't see going back to standard seats.
The V is a limited production vehicle. I say get the upgraded seats where you put your ars everytime you get in. They complete the car.

Baxman
09-23-09, 01:01 AM
I test-drove a V w/ the Recaros and loved them. They are very adjustable, have great thigh support, and the heating AND cooling is a nice touch. I ended up buying a 5K miles "used '09 V" w/o Recaros (for $53K!). In defense of the standard seats, I drove 1000 miles straight home from the purchase with only "gas and bladder" stops, and remained comfortable.

Caroutisine
09-23-09, 01:44 AM

I agree, I notice the noise from the roof as well. But it could be in part due to the fact that the rest of is so perfect. First oil change I will be asking the dealer to take a look at it. Hope they can take care of 90% of it as well and I would be happy:)

cbloveday
09-24-09, 12:41 AM
I'd advise skipping the base seats, as they're neither supportive nor particularly comfortable. Get the optional Recaro sport seats instead, which are snug in all the right places, yet comfy enough for longer journeys.