: Cadillac ATS-V

Lord Cadillac
09-19-09, 07:33 AM
From the Tell Fritz website:

"Will Cadillacís upcoming small RWD cars have performance characteristics - steering, braking, chassis dynamics - comparable, even surpassing the BMW 3 series. Will there be a V version to compete with the M3? And when can we buy it?"

"Dear Charles - thanks for your interest in Cadillac. I cannot give you all the details, but the answer to your questions is an enthusiastic yes! Dates are not too distant in the future, but are still not announced."
-Bryan Nesbitt, General Manager, Cadillac

whisler151
09-19-09, 11:00 AM
Very interesting! Maybe a LS3?

87GN&98VET
09-20-09, 08:53 PM
God I hope not. This car needs a turbo 6!

whisler151
09-21-09, 07:11 AM
This car needs a turbo 6!

God I hope not.

CIWS
09-21-09, 08:38 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

70eldo
10-14-09, 09:09 AM
I didn't know you can directly contact Cadillac execs...
How nice of him to give an honost answer!

wow

chazman
10-29-09, 04:42 PM
From the Tell Fritz website:

"Will Cadillacís upcoming small RWD cars have performance characteristics - steering, braking, chassis dynamics - comparable, even surpassing the BMW 3 series. Will there be a V version to compete with the M3? And when can we buy it?"

"Dear Charles - thanks for your interest in Cadillac. I cannot give you all the details, but the answer to your questions is an enthusiastic yes! Dates are not too distant in the future, but are still not announced."
-Bryan Nesbitt, General Manager, Cadillac

Hey! That was me who asked that. Nice of Bryan to confirm a V version of the "ATS".

chazman
10-29-09, 04:47 PM
God I hope not. This car needs a turbo 6!
Could be, but I'm getting the sense from one of my sources that a Gen V smallblock is being considered. We'll see.

One concern I have is that this car does not grow in size. A 3 series competitor implies a 3 series sized car. If this thing grows to, oh say, the size of a 1st gen CTS, it will really, really miss the mark.

Cadillac Talan
10-30-09, 01:03 PM
Yeah this car would be a great platform for the new GenV XV8. I really like the idea of this engine.

V-Eight
10-30-09, 01:22 PM
God I hope not. This car needs a turbo 8!

^fixed

concorso
10-31-09, 11:24 AM
Yeah this car would be a great platform for the new GenV XV8. I really like the idea of this engine.Thats a good choice! LS3 or a derivative, regardless. Screw the turbo'6...waste of money and space.

87GN&98VET
11-09-09, 01:02 PM
Thats a good choice! LS3 or a derivative, regardless. Screw the turbo'6...waste of money and space.
Yeah, that's what the Vette and Mustang guys used to say back in the 80's before the GN came along and blew their doors off. Your comments are totally off base. A turbo v6 can make as much or more power than a v8 and get better gas mileage while taking up less space. If Cadillac wants this car to appeal to an upper scale market then they have to give it some technology and not revert to the same old V8 formula. Besides, FI and smaller engines is going to be the only option for big power in the future due to CAFE.

V-Eight
11-09-09, 01:35 PM
FI + Big V8 = win

concorso
11-09-09, 02:08 PM
If Cadillac wants this car to appeal to an upper scale market then they have to give it some technology and not revert to the same old V8 formula. :cookoo: This car will be sold to a market UNDER the CTS-V, not above! And which engine does the CTS-V employ, LS3 based or LLT based? Its only the arrogant that buy a performance car for the type of engine, instead of its performance. And no V6 from GM will ever steal these buyers away from BMW. The rest, however, are up for grabs. The CTS-V doesnt get bad press because of its low-tech V8,in fact, its the opposite. Rags, both domestic and foreign love the engine! Cheap reliable power will always be loved.

-The LLT (3.6L DI) is only slightly lighter then the LS3 V8, less then 50 lbs. So adding turbo + plumbing + intercooler gives you a 3.6L V6Turbo that weighs as much or more then a 6.2L V8.
-The LLT is taller then the LS3, which means a higher centre of gravity in a performance car, which is a no no.
-The LLT is more expensive to build and service then the LS3.
-The LLT is more expensive to mod then the LS3, tho I doubt thats a huge factor in GM's decision.
-Theres a new higher tech LSx engine coming soon, or has allready arrived, with DI and AFM...

concorso
11-09-09, 02:36 PM
Could be, but I'm getting the sense from one of my sources that a Gen V smallblock is being considered. We'll see.

One concern I have is that this car does not grow in size. A 3 series competitor implies a 3 series sized car. If this thing grows to, oh say, the size of a 1st gen CTS, it will really, really miss the mark.I agree. I think it needs to be a fair bit smaller then the 2nd gen CTS, which would be smaller then the 1st gen. I also think a conv. should be one of the first versions they release, after the sedan. I think this part of market could be exploited by a small luxury convertible thats more affordable then, say, an SLK or Z4...

70eldo
11-10-09, 03:14 PM
I agree. I think it needs to be a fair bit smaller then the 2nd gen CTS, which would be smaller then the 1st gen. I also think a conv. should be one of the first versions they release, after the sedan. I think this part of market could be exploited by a small luxury convertible thats more affordable then, say, an SLK or Z4...

So practically it will, or should replace the BLS in size then? Then again, I would say when they launch it, it will be launched as the BTS.

ANd if it should have a V8, why don't we see this V8 in the CTS?

concorso
11-12-09, 06:53 PM
My guess is that it will be similar in size to the BLS. Youve mentioned a few times now that you think it will be called the BTS...whats your reasoning?
Im not saying the ATS-V should have a V8. Im saying with what Ive read, it makes much more sense to use the V8. The ATS will be, by far, the smallest Cadillac ever sold. If they introduce a brand new powertrain with it, than the entire car is new. I see some potential problems with this. IF the engine turns out to have some 1st year gremlins, this could mean alot of trouble for the ATS reputation. And CAdillac doesnt have a good history with small cars. And people still remeber this, even tho the CTS should have changed the rep. THe last thing a new small car from Cadillac needs is bad press. Could they get the V6tt right? Sure! But they allready have the proven V8. It would be just 1 less potential problem in a brand new car in a segment where the company has never been. Plus, the performance aspect would be undeniable. With even the smallest and cheapest of mods, youd be showing the M3 the tailights. Just my thinking...

70eldo
11-13-09, 08:07 AM
My guess is that it will be similar in size to the BLS. Youve mentioned a few times now that you think it will be called the BTS...whats your reasoning?
Im not saying the ATS-V should have a V8. Im saying with what Ive read, it makes much more sense to use the V8. The ATS will be, by far, the smallest Cadillac ever sold. If they introduce a brand new powertrain with it, than the entire car is new. I see some potential problems with this. IF the engine turns out to have some 1st year gremlins, this could mean alot of trouble for the ATS reputation. And CAdillac doesnt have a good history with small cars. And people still remeber this, even tho the CTS should have changed the rep. THe last thing a new small car from Cadillac needs is bad press. Could they get the V6tt right? Sure! But they allready have the proven V8. It would be just 1 less potential problem in a brand new car in a segment where the company has never been. Plus, the performance aspect would be undeniable. With even the smallest and cheapest of mods, youd be showing the M3 the tailights. Just my thinking...

I know I mentioned it before and I don't want to irritate with it. My reasoning is, is that I am an engineer. Haha. I think in logic and the abreviated models seem to have some logical size based lettering. We already have the BLS, CTS and DTS in alfabetical order. The C aledgedly stood for Catera, but Cadillac said it (now) stands for the C-size. Just like the B for B-size.
In order to make this all rime, Cadillac should stick to this. I know the A-size Cadillac plan has been introduced years ago, when there was already the BLS. The BLS, as it is, is dead. But the size of the presented ATS is, what we can interpret from the descriptions from 'witnesses' about current BLS size. SInce BTS has been mentioned before by Cadillac as well, It is hard to imagine a B-size platform between the presented ATS and the current CTS.
For the same reason I predict that the mentioned XTS will be the next DTS. Yes, the current DTS and STS were announced to be killed. But you can interpret that as being killed as current platform setup. The name might as well still come back is what I think.
Then the next superluxliner Cadillac flagship will be the FTS, maybe a hint to Fleedwood...

Then, at least, you would have a nice alphabet-logicalal line-up of cars from B to F, and possibly later from A to F.

XLR is dead. No issue there with lettering.
SRX still is out of logic.
Escalade, I just presume as possible, will be renamed VRX?

Anyway, that is my reasoning. My attempt to make logical sense. But I keep in mind, that there will be no nice logic behind it. :cookoo:

ah well...

Mind you, we've been fooled before by Cadillac; the BRX turned out to be the SRX. The preview shots (tv appearance in 2006??) of the 2nd gen CTS turned out to be the CTS coupe...

Stingroo
11-13-09, 06:01 PM
Something tells me the Escalade will NEVER be renamed. Ever.

For a fictional analogy, it would be like renaming the Corvette the CSC (Chevrolet Sport Coupe, or something). People KNOW what a Corvette is, just like people know what an Escalade is. When you say you drive an Escalade, the image you get is someone with money. If you drive a Corvette, and barring MLC people, you get the image of a performance car.

Uniformity is nice and all, but some things just shouldn't be messed with.

concorso
11-16-09, 08:47 PM
The Escalade should not be renamed, ever.

jrosevear
05-19-10, 08:20 PM
Bet heavily on a ~450 hp Gen V V8 for the ATS-V. The Alpha platform will take a small-block; no other engine makes sense. The next-gen CTS-V will probably be around 600 hp.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-20-10, 03:47 PM
Something tells me the Escalade will NEVER be renamed. Ever.

For a fictional analogy, it would be like renaming the Corvette the CSC (Chevrolet Sport Coupe, or something). People KNOW what a Corvette is, just like people know what an Escalade is. When you say you drive an Escalade, the image you get is someone with money. If you drive a Corvette, and barring MLC people, you get the image of a performance car.

Uniformity is nice and all, but some things just shouldn't be messed with.

asking someine in the 60 or 70's if the Eldorado, Seville or Deville should ever be renamed would have gotten you a solid no.

Eventually we got ESC, ETC, SLS, STS, DHS, and DTS

concorso
05-20-10, 04:03 PM
asking someine in the 60 or 70's if the Eldorado, Seville or Deville should ever be renamed would have gotten you a solid no.

Eventually we got ESC, ETC, SLS, STS, DHS, and DTSThe 80's and 90's Cadillac's are generally a disjointed mess, cars that never really met their target. The Escalade and the CTS are the first cars in years to attract younger buyers to Cadillac. The fact that people still buy cars that have letters instead of names, does not imply that people prefer letters instead of names.

JBsZ06
05-30-10, 08:14 PM
I'm up for a 450hp V8 ATS V ! Can't wait to see it hit the show circuit.

Hope it has a DSG! or MCT!

VCONVERT
10-07-12, 03:00 PM
If they use a turbo six it will have to have in excess of 400 hp. That would represent an expensive development project. The V8 would be the easiest, least costly, and most popular choice imho.

simgolfer
10-08-12, 03:38 PM
I'm up for a 450hp V8 ATS V ! Can't wait to see it hit the show circuit.

Hope it has a DSG! or MCT!

I'm hoping it will still have a manual transmission option personally.

Lord Cadillac
10-10-12, 01:50 AM
I will be extremely surprised if the ATS-V gets a V8.

boycer11
10-16-12, 03:02 PM
Anybody think the v will be out by next summer?

Dr. Design
10-16-12, 03:08 PM
Don't bet too much $ then.... :thumbsup:

The next Gen CTS-V, that would be entertaining....

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Bet heavily on a ~450 hp Gen V V8 for the ATS-V. The Alpha platform will take a small-block; no other engine makes sense. The next-gen CTS-V will probably be around 600 hp.

thebigjimsho
10-17-12, 06:24 AM
Anybody think the v will be out by next summer?

Maybe. I'd guess late 2013/early 2014...

boycer11
10-17-12, 03:44 PM
Maybe. I'd guess late 2013/early 2014...

Kind of a bummer. I was hoping to buy something late spring or early summer. Maybe I will pick up a used ctsv or 3.6 ats and drive them for a year or two then.

Cant wait to hear the real details on the ats-v.

JFJr
11-24-12, 07:44 PM
Kind of a bummer. I was hoping to buy something late spring or early summer. Maybe I will pick up a used ctsv or 3.6 ats and drive them for a year or two then.

Cant wait to hear the real details on the ats-v.

I just read the V-6 version review against its target competition, and the Cadillac came out ahead. An important win for Cadillac and we should expect the ATS-V to be equally successful. The baton has definitely changed hands. Since a 2014 CTS-V appears to be out of the pipeline, I'm ready for an "interim" ATS-V. I hope for a naturally aspirated V-8.

Jud