: STS-V, 1500 miles later...... (approved)

freshchops
09-19-09, 12:04 AM
I've had my STS-V about a month now and am in about 1500 miles. When I got it I was previously driving an 05 STS (V8), which would be my basis for comparison and expectations. The STS-V is an 06 that had exactly 16k miles on it when I got it.

I have to say, this car has really come alive in the last couple hundred miles. When I first got behind the wheel, any noticeable improved response and power over the 05 STS was minimal if even much. I don't know what it could mean.... but I think it might have to do with the way it was driven (didn't wanna say it, but maybe female driven) ... noticed how I put it in "( )" so it wouldn't be seen be females, nice.

But anyway, on a serious note, all of a sudden it's started to respond and handle like a beast. I have really been driving heavy footed and open it up as often as I can, and can contest, this engine loves to be pushed. The more you push it, the better it responds.

I have also strictly feed it the 93 high octane. I know this is a given, but ya' never know when buying pre-owned if the previous buyer knows better or even cares, especially going through a gas gouging era. They may have feed this one inferior gas for 16k miles. Again, speculating and not even sure if this would hender the performance, over time. But all I can say is which each experience, the V is getting more impressive.

I also don't know if it hadn't sat for a long time, un-owned (which might account for such low miles on a late model)

Does any of that make sense... for it to open up after maybe: sitting up; inferior gas; or the engine not pushed enough?

But my point is (I guess) that it is becoming way more responsive, and impressive as we go..... and I'm loving it. Couldn't be happier with it!

Only complaint, why wouldn't they consider putting HUD's on all of their V-series?

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-19-09, 12:17 AM
08's got HUD

And go out and unplug your neg battery terminal for 15 minutes. that will clear any old habbits it may have stored. Plus you bought it in mid summer. as it gets cooler you will be amazed how much better it gets.

jedhead
09-19-09, 01:58 AM
I bought my 2006 August 26 with 24096 miles. Today it has 28121. I don't commute for work; I work from home. All the miles have been cruise and hitting every mountain road south of San Luis Obisbo to the Mexican border. I loved every mile that I drove so far. The only issues I have are: What were the Caddy engineers smoking - 6 lug wheels? Leaves us with mainly custom wheels $$$$. Second brain fart by the engineers - who the hell thought it was a good idea require front bumper removal to get the headlights? Sometimes when floor it while its in first gear the transmission does shift fast enough into second before it hits the rev limiter causing you to have a close encounter with the steering wheel. I am having the dealer check out the revision levels of the firmware for the transmission and engine to make sure they are current. I do love driving the car and the STS-V was the best choice I made.

Bob

SeanPlunk
09-19-09, 02:36 AM
I bought my 2006 August 26 with 24096 miles. Today it has 28121. I don't commute for work; I work from home. All the miles have been cruise and hitting every mountain road south of San Luis Obisbo to the Mexican border. I loved every mile that I drove so far. The only issues I have are: What were the Caddy engineers smoking - 6 lug wheels? Leaves us with mainly custom wheels $$$$. Second brain fart by the engineers - who the hell thought it was a good idea require front bumper removal to get the headlights? Sometimes when floor it while its in first gear the transmission does shift fast enough into second before it hits the rev limiter causing you to have a close encounter with the steering wheel. I am having the dealer check out the revision levels of the firmware for the transmission and engine to make sure they are current. I do love driving the car and the STS-V was the best choice I made.

Bob

Bob,

I run a non model specific board for Orange County. We do cruises and all kinds of things every month. We're doing a lunch and cruise though carbon canyon to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino in October (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7710) if you want to go :D

jedhead
09-19-09, 02:51 AM
Bob,

I run a non model specific board for Orange County. We do cruises and all kinds of things every month. We're doing a lunch and cruise though carbon canyon to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino in October (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7710) if you want to go :D

I would love to go if my schedule allows. I just drove through Carbon Canyon tonight from Brea to Chino Hills. It can be scary when you have full size SUV half way in your lane around a corner. My favorite road is CA58 from Buttonwillow to San Luis Obisbo. Very challenging road.
It has been a few years since I went to the museum. Years ago in the 80's I used to go to the air show in Chino. I met one of my heros Chuck Yeager. I had a conversation with him for about 45 minutes. I don't recall exactly what year it was, but it was the last year the Red Baron (modified P51 Mustang air racer with a Rolls Royce Griffon engine with counter-rotating props).

Bob

SeanPlunk
09-19-09, 02:55 AM
I would love to go if my schedule allows. I just drove through Carbon Canyon tonight from Brea to Chino Hills. It can be scary when you have full size SUV half way in your lane around a corner. My favorite road is CA58 from Buttonwillow to San Luis Obisbo. Very challenging road.
It has been a few years since I went to the museum. Years ago in the 80's I used to go to the air show in Chino. I met one of my heros Chuck Yeager. I had a conversation with him for about 45 minutes. I don't recall exactly what year it was, but it was the last year the Red Baron (modified P51 Mustang air racer with a Rolls Royce Griffon engine with counter-rotating props).

Bob

Very cool. I actually live in Anaheim Hills so it sounds like you're not too far away. I used to live in Placentia and I've taken many cars through the canyon over the years.

We do events all the time and it's a great, very diverse, group. Lots of different kinds of cars, but car guys all around :thumbsup:

I hope to see you around! :bouncy:

Jpjr
09-20-09, 06:31 AM
That is interesting about the comparison to the base STS. Truthfully you almost have to get the car wide open to see how fast it really is...

jedhead
09-20-09, 08:32 AM
I added 10 gallons of 100 octane unleaded to about 5 gallons of Chevron 91 Octane today. I first didn't notice much difference during the day. I was out in the SF valley and it was about 96 outside and the car ran pretty well. Later tonight down by the beach near where I live it was about 68 outside, wow. The engine was far more responsive to the throttle. I am not sure all of the extra power I felt on the butt dyno was the gas, but the felt stronger than ever. At $7.59 a gallon for the VP Racing 100 octane, the car will have to settle for 91 Octane for most of the time unless I get real lucky in Vegas this week.

Bob

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-20-09, 10:15 PM
It's not the 100 octane. It's the outside temp. our cars heat soak pretty bad in 96 degree days.

freshchops
09-21-09, 02:32 AM
That is interesting about the comparison to the base STS. Truthfully you almost have to get the car wide open to see how fast it really is...

Indeed, I thought I'd take advantage of owning both to offer a comparison. I can attest though, with a few REALLY good days with the V-series, I can assure that it's definitely in a league of it's own.

Now that y'all mention it..... Temperature is likely the factor. The days of notable improved performance we had a significant temperature drop, and most importantly, a drop in humidity. I remember siting outside with a friend after driving and mentioning how the weather was perfect.... meaning it cooled off.

I would have never considered the temperature, good thinking. I haven't had it long enough to see changes w/ seasons. Unfortunately, I live in southern Louisiana and will see the hot, sluggish version more than I'd like.

BTW jedhead, I've only ever used 93 octane. Didn't I read that manufacturers recommend no less than 93?

jedhead
09-22-09, 05:26 AM
True but you can only get 91 Octane in California.

Bob

freshchops
09-22-09, 05:54 AM

Bob

... learn something new every day!

dhemrick
09-22-09, 11:46 AM

Bob

:bigroll: