: "Traction Control Gremlin"

freshchops
09-18-09, 11:35 PM
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/food-gremlin_1120384c.jpg

has anyone ever gotten the Traction Control Gremlins.... where your traction control jumps out and grabs you and puts you in a bad situation. I've had this happen twice (so far), but has me weighing the benefits vs. problems seen with an active traction control.

Both times I was more or less pulling into traffic, into what would otherwise be a safe situation..... but NOOOO, not after the the wheels shoot a couple pieces of gravel out, the Traction Control Gremlin cuts the acceleration down to a crawl. Meanwhile, that generous window of opportunity to merge, continues to decrease at a steady pace, leaving you all but cracking your door, and trusting yourself along with your feet.... full on Flintstones style.

Both incidences were completely harmless and nothing near detrimental, but I could see how that could seriously cause some problems. Especially in a situation where the traction control is really unnecessary. I don't fault the car, and understand it can't predict the longevity of slippage so is designed to grip at first hint, but can actually see the T.C. being a bigger liability than an benefit. Anyone?

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-19-09, 12:19 AM
TURN OFF TC anytime you drive it. put TC into Competition mode and that problem goes away..

Florian
09-19-09, 09:00 PM
steering wheel position sensor.....DAMHIK

F

freshchops
09-21-09, 02:33 AM
steering wheel position sensor.....DAMHIK

F

whuuuu??

CIWS
09-21-09, 09:36 AM
Unless the roads are wet/slick I drive the car in Competitive Driving mode, which turns TC off. However stability always stays on.

Florian
09-21-09, 11:40 AM
whuuuu??

nevermind. Didnt read your whole post.

F

sfarner
09-21-09, 01:31 PM
Once in a while my traction control kicks on when I'm accelerating from a stop. I hear a slight clicking noise, as if the tranny is not quite in gear, the "TC" comes on for a second, then all is normal.

This happens about once a month, and the dealer could not replicate it. It doesn't bother me unless it is a sign of something serious that needs taken care of before it gets worse.

Not sure if it is a tranny issue, TC issue, or ABS issue, thought I would see if anyone had any ideas.

freshchops
09-21-09, 03:23 PM
Unless the roads are wet/slick I drive the car in Competitive Driving mode, which turns TC off. However stability always stays on.

I might be wrong, but doesn't activating "Competitive Driving Mode" disable the Stability system by default?

I thought that activating "Traction Control (only)" just turned off the T.C. but left the Stability system active. Then.... activating "Competitive..." would turn off the Stability system in addition to turning of the T.C. Don't have the manual by my side, but thought I remember reading it like that?

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-21-09, 07:09 PM
TC button once = less intrusive TC and Stabilitrac still fully engaged.
TC in comp mode = same less intrusive TC as before BUT also less intrusive Stabilitrac. But still there
TC off = TC off (to a degree) and stabilitrac even more less intrusive but still there.

you cant turn either completely off unless you re-program TCM and unplugging wheel speed sensors. To prove this just try dyno'ing it or doing a doughnut. It will stop you from doing either in any mode.

CIWS
09-22-09, 08:17 AM
I might be wrong, but doesn't activating "Competitive Driving Mode" disable the Stability system by default?

I thought that activating "Traction Control (only)" just turned off the T.C. but left the Stability system active. Then.... activating "Competitive..." would turn off the Stability system in addition to turning of the T.C. Don't have the manual by my side, but thought I remember reading it like that?

Competitive driving mode is Traction off and Stability still engaged, but a little more forgiving. If Stability is turned completely off (press and hold TC), it will say it on the DIC.

Berger 93
09-22-09, 10:38 AM
Been there done that . . . amazing how the car just falls completely flat onto it's face, when TC thinks you need a hand . . .