: Weird Noise

97DevilleBeige
09-18-09, 11:17 PM
Car is almost making a knocking, screaching sort of noise when it's running, I found a pic online and circled the area where I isolated the noise to. Anyone have suggestions?

Also on another note I've had to crank my engine a lot to get it going. I have a feeling it's the fuel pressure regulator, I can't get any codes on it though. Am I correct in my assumption? In the morning it takes a solid 10 seconds to crank, but after that, when the car is turned off, it'll turn back on real easy within the next several hours.

Photo as discussed above:
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/bacharach/northstar.jpg?t=1253326241

jeffrsmith
09-19-09, 08:24 AM
The area that is circled contains your water pump drive belt tensioner - you probably have a dry bearing on the tensioner. If you take the shield and belt off you should be able to isolate the noise. If it is in fact the tensioner pulley bearing you can replace just the pulley.

You hard start issue does sound like a FPR issue. If you do a search you will find that that issue has been covered many many times and there are excellent write ups on how to troubleshoot and replace.

Ranger
09-19-09, 11:40 AM
A bad FPR usually affects hot starts, not cold starts. Have someone turn the key on (but do not crank) while you have your ear to the open fuel fuller pipe. Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds?

97DevilleBeige
09-19-09, 11:48 PM
I hear a very faint high pitch noise for 2-3 seconds if I listen very closely.

jcresciSTS
09-20-09, 01:34 AM
I believe I have a noise from that area too, when the car is running I hear a "clicking" noise that gets louder as the RPMs go up, it sounds like a belt and the other day when I put my head there is was making a similar noise.

I was going to have my mechanic check it on Tuesday, its been that way for IDK how long now.

Submariner409
09-20-09, 11:45 AM
If anyone even remotely thinks there are problems with their Northstar water pump belt, pulley, or tensioner - fix it now. The consequences of a frozen tensioner, broken belt, or seized water pump can be very expensive and/or inconvenient, as in: stranded in the middle of the night.

Ranger
09-20-09, 12:03 PM
I hear a very faint high pitch noise for 2-3 seconds if I listen very closely.

Well, the pump is working then. Now the question is what pressure is it putting out? Get a fuel pressure gauge on the service port and see what your fuel pressure is at key on.

97DevilleBeige
09-20-09, 12:16 PM
What pressure should it be at? And if it's not at that pressure what does that mean? (btw fuel filter has been changed semi recently) The only reason I'm asking is so I don't have to wait for a response when I have my mechanic buddy check the fuel pressure and he can order whatever part I may need right away.

Ranger
09-20-09, 05:54 PM
Fuel pressure should be 45-50 psi. If the pressure is really low, that would indicate a bad fuel pump.

tateos
09-22-09, 07:30 PM
Are you in Levittown PR? If so, I have a customer or two there.

Your problem is with the tensioner pulley - be careful - if it locks up, you could ruin the plastic drive belt on the camshaft, like sub alluded to.

Regarding the long cranking when cold, try turning on the ignition until the fuel pump turns off (a few seconds), then off, then back on and continue all the way start. If that helps, you make be losing pressure in your fuel system overnight.

97DevilleBeige
09-23-09, 01:45 AM
tateos, I'm in Levittown, NY.

as far as that screeching noise I isolated in the picture goes, it turns out the belt was ripped but still functioning, with a split about a third of the way in from the left side. Has been replaced and noise gone so far.

Ranger, I had my mechanic check the pressure, and it was at 40psi during key on position with the engine off, and at 44 with the engine on. I realize it's a little low, but my mechanic buddy feels it's not a big deal. ...what now?

Ranger
09-23-09, 12:32 PM
Pump pressure is a tad low, but not enough to worry about.

97DevilleBeige
09-23-09, 05:55 PM
I'm going to order the fpr and see if that does the trick.

tateos
09-23-09, 05:57 PM
tateos, I'm in Levittown, NY.

as far as that screeching noise I isolated in the picture goes, it turns out the belt was ripped but still functioning, with a split about a third of the way in from the left side. Has been replaced and noise gone so far.

Ranger, I had my mechanic check the pressure, and it was at 40psi during key on position with the engine off, and at 44 with the engine on. I realize it's a little low, but my mechanic buddy feels it's not a big deal. ...what now?

OK thanks - I always get a kick out of a Levittown in PR - sounds more like it should be in NY or OH or PA

97DevilleBeige
10-03-09, 01:02 AM
Ok replaced the FPR and still having crank issues. Remember, no codes... what else could it be?

Ranger
10-03-09, 01:39 PM
Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds at key on? If not, check the fuel pump relay. If it is bad, the pump wont get energized until the engine builds oil pressure by cranking to override it.

97DevilleBeige
10-04-09, 01:26 AM
Yes I hear the fuel pump run, I checked for that already. Checked the pressure as well. Was a tad low, but nothing to really cause trouble as you said before ranger.