: Ran with a...errr....V!

wildwhl
07-29-04, 12:44 PM
Had a runin with one of those "other" black V's around last night. It was cool. We went for it twice from a stop.

Guess what?

I won both times and he was not being nice to his car. I have to thank the Mallett Shifter mod for my wins. He missed third, badly, both times. This totally reminded me of how I would miss sometimes before the short shifter and have yet to miss since the install.

Otherwise, we were pretty neck and neck. I haven't installed the BMR anitwheel hop kit yet and was pretty easy off the line -slipping the clutch with basically no wheel hop. He was hammering it and I'd be surprised if his rear differential will handle much more of the abuse he was throwing at it - wheel hop galore.

Afterwards I tried to get him to pull over and talk but he just toook off.

Oh well, cool to see another V around and run head to head. Not so cool to see it being thrashed and driven poorly. I'd guess the driver was about 45 or so...

Just thought I'd share.

Wildwhl :hmm:

Z06CADY
07-29-04, 03:42 PM
I would have stopped, WINNER BUYS THE DRINKS!

sefa01
07-29-04, 04:30 PM
So you're pretty happy with the Mallett shifter? And how bad is the noise?

I'd love to hear from others who have put the Mallett in or something else. Because you're absolutely right--real easy to miss third gear.

jspinetto
07-29-04, 07:11 PM
I have raced several times, including 15 runs down the track in one day, and I have only missed third once or twice. But I dont know if that is because I have had an 03 cts w/ 5spd or that I have always driven nothing but manuals. The only problem i have had with the tranny is reverse being hard to get into and 1st will sometimes refuse to click in.

Jonathan

wildwhl
07-29-04, 07:36 PM
So you're pretty happy with the Mallett shifter? And how bad is the noise?

I'd love to hear from others who have put the Mallett in or something else. Because you're absolutely right--real easy to miss third gear.

The noise isn't that bad, and with the additional foam piece that Chuck suggests it is really pretty quiet. In either account, I don't hear the shifter over the radio at normal listening volume (much less over the a/c).

I like the shifter quite a bit. Much better feel, and albeit a touch pricey, I think it is a fair deal. I modified mine for even shorter throws which probably only equates to an additional 1/4 to 1/2" shorter throw - but it works and is a very easy mod.

Since it is the only option out there, and I was tired of hitting the ash(coin)tray when open and missing third gear on occasion, I think it is well worth the investment. Relatively simple install that is more frustrating than difficult.

YMMV

Wildwhl