: Interesting find

ryannel2003
09-17-09, 08:17 PM
Well today I've notice that my Seville is running a little bit warmer than it should. I had it parked and then it the temp gauge was moving up to inbetween the halfway and the next mark. Well it had me freaked out so I started doing some snooping under the car and found when I had my car in the shop and the bumper was taken off and replaced, the body shop didn't put the large front coolant hose in the right spot and it's being squeezed between the block and the damn A/C lines. I'm going to have my dealer reposition the hose tomorrow but what kind of damage could this have caused? The A/C has also been running a slight bit warmer lately too. Thanks guys!

tateos
09-17-09, 09:30 PM
I don't think that had anything to do with running a little warm - might affect the AC, but honestly, they are probably high side/hot lines anyway

Ranger
09-17-09, 10:44 PM
It shouldn't cause any damage.

ryannel2003
09-17-09, 11:00 PM
Ok thats good to hear. Thanks guys. Getting that looked at in the morning.

Submariner409
09-18-09, 10:30 AM
Don't forget that halfway (12 o'clock) is right at 195-198. The next mark is 225, right where the fans come on if no A/C function is set, so it's perfectly normal for that gauge to go to the next mark when sitting or in heavy traffic.

ryannel2003
09-21-09, 05:25 PM
I've been bored lately and messing around with my STS has yielded some interesting results. Took all 4 wheels off yesterday and cleaned behind the hubs and rims and the car's shimmy is almost gone! Well today I'm looking around under the hood and notice neither of my fans are running, normal right? Well the car was warmed up with the climate control set at 60* on Auto. All of my settings were on Auto and neither fan was running. From what I've read one fan should always be running with climate control in auto mode correct? What should I be checking for when tracking down this potential issue? Thanks!

Submariner409
09-21-09, 07:09 PM
AUTO or not, if temperatures did not call for some A/C mode, then (both) fans do not run in SLOW. If the compressor is running, the fans should run.

If you cannot get fans to run in SLOW in some A/C function, check the relay fuses, MAXI-fuses, and the 3 relays in the underhood fuse box. The legend is in the cover. Remove the fuses and insert. Remove the 3 relays (they are TIGHT !) and insert. There is a relay for each fan and a parallel/series relay which controls slow/fast speeds.

If you really want to get anal about the so-called "shimmy", pull the rotors and clean those mating surfaces, too. Hand torque the lug nuts in a star pattern sequentially to 100 ft/lb. spec with the tire(s) barely touching the floor.

ryannel2003
09-21-09, 08:25 PM
The compressor is on when the A/C is running, but neither fan comes on during operation. Just had the car running with my A/C is different modes and got neither fan coming on. Didn't get a chance to look at the fuses... getting dark out. But I'll check tomorrow.

tateos
09-22-09, 05:59 PM
Check the relays, also the actual fan electrical connectors

ryannel2003
09-23-09, 08:21 PM
Drove around tonight for about 30 minutes tonight with the A/C running and got out the car to check the fan and it's definitely not coming on. I checked the fuses and they looked ok... not sure about the relays or the connectors but I'm going to leave that up to my dealer. Not too fond of tinkering around with this car but it shouldn't be too hard to diagnose.