: Parking Dangers

Country
09-17-09, 03:53 PM
I always try to be very careful when I park in a shopping center lot. I take a spot far away and right next to a side curb so that only one side of my V is exposed to the possibility of door dings. And then, I park right next to the curb so any vehicle next to me has a ton of room.

Problem is that I got too close to the curb yesterday and scratched the hell out of my polished aluminum wheels. :helpless:

Is there any way to minimize the damage?

NeedCTS-v
09-17-09, 03:57 PM
I'd check around you're area for a wheel repair shop and have them do a quote. Curb rash is pretty common and repair will likely be much cheaper than replacement.

I'm not sure if you have painted or polished wheels but keep in mind our polished wheels do have a protective coating over them.

Good luck!

wfo
09-17-09, 04:17 PM
Agreed...good recommendation. "GOOD" Wheel repair people do a great job. You might start with your dealership and then yellow pages or Internet for your area.

nynd
09-17-09, 05:28 PM
I was once sitting in a restaurant and follow the same as mentioned above. I parked close to one side (carefully ) and then watched as people would come and part next to it. My heart nearly skipped a beat when I saw this one guy come in an echo and just fling the door out. Thankfully, it never touched but I felt like going out there and you know the rest. Then... this guy leaves and another lady comes with a van and I swear she opened and closed the door like 20 times.. I'm like, why me... LOL! Again, parking close up to the one side probably saved my @$$. Why do people not think!!!!!

Sorry for the rant.. just echoing that most of us do that and yes, we need to watch for the curbed side.

jwa999
09-17-09, 05:40 PM
I had a very minor rash on my front left polished wheel. Then the dealer did some major damage on that same wheel. They send it to a local shop to fix it.
Got it back and found they didn't do a very good job. You could see some of the paste they used. So send it out again, this time it looked great.

Then got new tires. Local goodyear managed to mix up one front and rear tire.
Had to remount them, did it in a hurry and damaged they same wheel again.
Had to go back, they send it to a local shop, came back good.

But you can always see the difference between a fixed up rim and the original. The fixed up one is a little bubblier and slightly different color.

The last week i found a new nick on a different wheel... oh well

Hans.

BeagleBrains
09-17-09, 10:00 PM
My wife drove her 'V' into a local retailer's large parking lot. Traversing down the long isle to locate an open slot, two (2) cars parked to her right backed out, each trying to beat the other. Both collided with the right side of her car!
Took it to the Body Shop. The mechanic managed to put a large gouge in the left from fender. Very responsible and courteous, they called to report the damage and assure repair. Placed onto the storage lot awaiting the next phase of body repair, a local utility truck backed into the rear left corner.
Conclusion: new front, two (2) new front fenders, straightened and repainted left rear quarter with new rear bumper.
This is better that rustproofing. Just replace entire exterior every five years.:bigroll:

OldDrummer55
09-21-09, 10:42 PM
I recently returned from a business trip to find the rear drivers side wheel had a bad case of curb scratching/rash! Wife admitted scraping the curb in a Mickey D's drive through... grrrrrrrr... I have the painted rims. Can they be brought back to original? Then two separate 18 wheelers hit/crack my windshield within three minutes of each other...