: Tires: Get what you pay for or are Kumho/Hancook ok?

rdonato
09-17-09, 03:07 PM
Just got my 2009-V and already tire shopping when the Michelin rubber wears down. I've used Kumho for my Durango for years but never for a sports car or sedan. Never used Hancook ever but looking on tirerack those are the cheapest but do you get what you pay for?

Kumho Ecsta SPT
Front: $176 each
Rear: $188 each

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

Front: $158 each
Rear: $213 each

Any chance we could start a sticky on Tire recommendations...I think I'm going to try a new set twice a year with this car! :cool2:

RWFJR
09-17-09, 03:17 PM
Tires are the most important part of the car for me. Price is no consideration when choosing a tire. After Michelin, I like the Goodyear Eagle F1.

allklr
09-17-09, 04:11 PM
Those are some nice deals, I just had to replace my tires, The rears were over $500

thebigjimsho
09-17-09, 04:45 PM
There are no free meals.

Michelins are expensive but they have millions of $$ in research involved in F1 and it shows in their carcass development. The PS2s are incredible in their cornering stability and feedback to the driver. With that and the intricate compounds, it's a winner.

When paying less for a tire, you're paying for lesser compounds or rudimentary tire construction. A tire like the Falken RT-615 was much cheaper and widely heralded in the V1 forums. But the tire did get slippery when hot and could fall apart later on in life if driven hard.

There are tires that handle better in the dry, are well made and cheaper. But you probably lose wet handling grip and steering feedback. And you may not get max handling until heated up.

Tires are tricky. And there are a lot of pros and cons when comparing. Usually, you get less cons per higher price. Usually.

But there's a reason the CTS-V and ZR1 get PS2s from the factory. And other amazing performance cars, too...

wfo
09-17-09, 05:21 PM
Shoot, our OEM Michelins are awesome sneaks IMHO. They may be accused of wearing too fast but they are sticky tires and sweet handling too. Not great for cold weather but in the south that's fine. Just wish they made them in a 20".

VetteOwner
09-17-09, 06:41 PM
The OP may have already have seen this but it compares 9 brand name tires against the Mich PS2....http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests

rdonato
09-17-09, 09:02 PM
Wow that is a great link and review! Thanks for sharing. It looks like the Hancooks price vs test results seem the best choice.

whisler151
09-17-09, 10:57 PM
Here is a great article. The Hankooks took 2nd place in the PS2 challenge.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

nradcad
09-18-09, 12:14 AM
You should consider the NT05s. I used to run PS2s exclusively, and then tried a set of Goodyear GSD3s (not impressed at all). I then went out and tried the NT05s. And all I can say is holy sh%t. They're awesome.

jwa999
09-18-09, 02:54 AM
I've described my experience with the hankooks on the V here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/176103-short-tire-life.html

I'm very happy with them. Hankook actually makes tires under the michelin name.
Only problem with the hankooks, they literally smell like sh*t.

Hans.

VetteOwner
09-18-09, 05:13 AM
Hans, still got em at 38 lbs?

Aron9000
09-18-09, 06:07 AM
I owned a Z28 Camaro from 45k to 115k, and went through several sets of tires. All 245/50/R16 stock size.

First set was a brand new set of Sumotimo all season tires from the previous owner. Decent in the rain, no grip or traction when it was dry. Lasted maybe 15k miles because the car was new to me and burnouts were awesome. Quiet on the highway, rode decent, but would not hook for shit and squealed like pigs in the corners.

Tried a set of Kuhmo's all season ties next, absolutely worst sorry piece of shit tire I've ever had. Bad vibration kept returning at 60+mph despite a couple of attempts at balancing them. Very loud, decent grip in the corners, once again they wouldn't hook for shit, I could spin these babys all the way up to 60mph. I burned them off after 10k miles because I ****ing hated them. BTW, the tread seperated from the inner layer of the tire when I did a brake stand to finish them off.

Next two sets of tires were BFGoodrich KDW's. Just an awesome tire for a pretty reasonable price. They were summer tires, which really helped the grip and traction situation. They were pretty slippery below 40 degrees, but that was a pretty good tradeoff for how well they handled and hooked in warm weather. Awesome in the rain as well, overall the best set of tires I've ever had. Rode really nice as well, can't comment on the noise since the car had a really loud exhaust by that point. They were good for about 25k miles on each set, since I had mellowed out and quit doing burnouts.

BadAV
09-18-09, 02:16 PM
It's not a CTS-V, needless to say, but I've got 275-55-20 Hankook Ventus RH's on my MP112 supercharged Avalanche. They are a V-speed rated tire with a 50K mileage warranty. They have been a great tire so far; they have great grip in both dry and wet, handle well, are quiet, and have stayed balanced. The tires that came on the 20's when I bought them were Goodyear Eagle LS2's and they sucked; I could easily smoke these tires off the line with 1/4 throttle. I have to brake torque and spool up my 2600 stall converter and try pretty hard with the Hankooks to light them up.

Tony407
09-19-09, 03:57 PM
Shoot, our OEM Michelins are awesome sneaks IMHO. They may be accused of wearing too fast but they are sticky tires and sweet handling too. Not great for cold weather but in the south that's fine. Just wish they made them in a 20".

They do. I have 20" PS2s on my car right now.

Tony

Caddyscat
09-19-09, 05:01 PM
I think these michelins are the best tires I've ever had the privilage of driving. Ive gone through Bfgoodrich (which was my current last favorite) Goodyear (meh) Pirelli, Kuhmo, Yokahama.

The Michelins are amazingly sticky, responsive (haven't yet had them in rainy conditions) and smooth. No wonder I see them all day at the ALMS races.

Fubar75207
09-19-09, 09:01 PM
Has anyone experimented with wider rear tires?

SlvrBullIT
09-19-09, 11:22 PM
I want to go to about a 305 size tire but wonder about clearance etc..... 10.5 wheel I think...

readyact
09-20-09, 08:43 AM
I have the Hankooks on both my Bonneville SSEi and my wife's Saab 93 and the tires are great. Both cars are light years away form the V2's performance, but when it's time to replace my PS2's I'm going with the Hankooks.

FastRunner
09-20-09, 08:46 PM
Has anyone experimented with wider rear tires?

I just bought a pair of 305/35/18 Mickey Thompson drag radials on 18x10.5 C5 Z06 wheels. The mechanic at the tire store tried the rims on because he didn't think they would fit. He said they just fit with less than a cm to spare. He has to put rubber weights on to balance the tires, because the metal ones won't fit. The tires should be in on Monday to put the whole setup on. I'll be taking it to the track Wednsday to try them out. I'll let you know how they do.

JBsZ06
09-25-09, 09:41 AM
I put the Hankooks on my 08 vette z51 and they are awesome. I also read the car and driver review when looking and for 684 delivered from discount tire direct.

Quiet, great handling and about 25 lbs less unsprung weight than the runflats that the General saw fit to put on the Corvette

I'm hooked on Hankooks at this point. They equaled or bettered PS2 tire performance.

Good luck deciding.