: Suspension ??

FredoEXT
09-16-09, 12:15 PM
I'm new on this forum and i want to lower my truck. I have an 2002 ext AWD.
I'd love to lower it maximum W/O bag, i heard some of you said that i can put 2/3 spindle drop w/o problem, what i want to now is can i put a 3/5 drop whit a awd, i heard yes and i heard no, so i need some help

If i can put 3/5 drop, ho sell does kit, i just see 2/3 kit like McGaughys

Or if you an other idea to slammed it ..

P.S. Sorry for my English, i'm french ..... I try hard ....

Fred

nathanjax
09-16-09, 07:18 PM
Mines an 04 AWD and I just lowered mine 4 inches up front and 5 inches in the rear.

I used...

3/4 Ton Keys in Front 1" to 3" Lower
Airlift Inner Spring Rear Helper Bags
Bilstein shocks Front & Rear
Belltech 5" Rear Coil Springs
DJM 3/4" Urethane Rear Bump Stops
DJM Free Travel Mod
Eibach Front & Rear Sway Bars
McGaughy's 2" Drop Spindles
Rear Shock Extenders

FredoEXT
09-17-09, 01:55 PM
can i start whit the torsion key,the spindle,and the coils or i need to buy every thing first ??

Is this is the maximum that i can go whit a static drop ???

nathanjax
09-17-09, 04:30 PM
can i start whit the torsion key,the spindle,and the coils or i need to buy every thing first ??

I would buy everything first. You kind of need one to go with the other.

To bypass the factory suspension, you'll need good, quality shocks ($280). Then, with the rear that low, you'll want shock extenders ($70) to keep the shock as close to shock height as possible. That's what will give it a good ride.

Really, all you need in the rear are coils ($200). The lowest coils they make without cutting springs is 5 inches. If you go that low, your going to have to cut out your current bump stops by doing the free travel mod http://djmsuspension.com/Articles%20new/FreeTravel.html You'll have to buy new polyur

For the front, you'll needs spindles that require 17in or larger rims ($250), and lowering keys. You can get 2500HD stock keys that will take you 1 to 3 inches lower. I got mine used for about $60

Is this is the maximum that i can go whit a static drop ???

Basically. I had to raise my front up an inch or so to be able to drive. For the rear, you could cut your springs, but I would just be real carefull on how/where you cut them.

dstinson
09-18-09, 01:15 AM
How do you like the Bilsteins? and do the sway bars make the truck handle more like a car and not a boat when you turn?

nathanjax
09-18-09, 12:22 PM
How do you like the Bilsteins?

Great. Perfect shock. Not too soft, but not too firm either.

do the sway bars make the truck handle more like a car and not a boat when you turn?

Yup. Exactly. Doesn't feel like it's hovering

Worldone
10-25-09, 12:42 AM
Do you have the model # of the Bilsteins you purchased and is there any modifacations that have to be done to use them at the factory ride hight? I am looking to replace the shocks on my 2002 Escalade both front and back but dont want to use the OEM set up. Any information anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

dstinson
10-25-09, 02:29 AM
You dont really need a model number just go to http://www.arnottindustries.com/ and select your truck, they only make 1 kind for our trucks and I don't think you will find Bilsteins for the front, only the rear (if I am wrong someone please correct me). I like them better then the OEM, however what I dont like is that you have to cut the plug that goes into the factory shock. They also come with sensors that you have to mount (no big deal there), so anyway you plug the sensors that Arnott give you and crimp them to the cut wires from your shock. It would have been a whole lot easier had they just supplied the other end of the plug. If you can get them at a dealer I would do that, I did not like cutting mine.

luxurylife33
10-25-09, 10:24 AM
I use the rear air bilstein shocks also. GREAT SHOCKS! ..... but i also did not like cutting my factory sensor line :(

g9s8r
10-25-09, 09:51 PM
For the front, you'll needs spindles that require 17in or larger rims ($250), and lowering keys. You can get 2500HD stock keys that will take you 1 to 3 inches lower. I got mine used for about $60

Basically. I had to raise my front up an inch or so to be able to drive. For the rear, you could cut your springs, but I would just be real carefull on how/where you cut them.

How long have you had yours lowered. I read and do believe that if you go lower than around 3 inches you will put a lot of stress on that front drivetrain. Any feedback you can provide would be nice.

dstinson
10-25-09, 10:14 PM
I did the 2/3 drop over a year ago with spindles, control arms, springs and the mod mention above by nathan. I also replaced every rubber bushing at the same time (you almost have to and you might as well). I dont have any issues with my front end but I am not gonna go any lower then what I am now.

Nathan, can you provide the link where you got your sway bars?

nathanjax
10-27-09, 07:15 AM
How long have you had yours lowered. I read and do believe that if you go lower than around 3 inches you will put a lot of stress on that front drivetrain. Any feedback you can provide would be nice.

It's only been lowered for a little over a month and no problems so far...

I did the 2/3 drop over a year ago with spindles, control arms, springs and the mod mention above by nathan. I also replaced every rubber bushing at the same time (you almost have to and you might as well). I dont have any issues with my front end but I am not gonna go any lower then what I am now.

Nathan, can you provide the link where you got your sway bars?

I bought the rear one off craigslist and the front one off eBay

Reynis
10-28-09, 09:15 PM
I have an 03 Escalade, the rear shocks (electronics air shocks) are already bad, i was quoted by a cadillac dealer $1,700 to replace them, can i use regular high quality gas shocks instead?, I also went to Les Schwab, they quoted me $1,300 for all four (Gas Shocks) and will lower it 2/3...is this advisable?

nathanjax
10-29-09, 02:46 PM
I have an 03 Escalade, the rear shocks (electronics air shocks) are already bad, i was quoted by a cadillac dealer $1,700 to replace them, can i use regular high quality gas shocks instead?, I also went to Les Schwab, they quoted me $1,300 for all four (Gas Shocks) and will lower it 2/3...is this advisable?

Well, a 2/3 can be done for $300 and new Bilstein shocks would run less than $300 so I would say thats pretty pricey.

You can get OEM rear shocks for about $500 on eBay.

Reynis
10-29-09, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the input....Also, if I may ask, do you know which bistein shocks would work for my escalade, I know the original shocks are electronic air shocks
(Rear & Front), What about the sensors?, is it going to change the handling? I never had a car or truck lowered, I just want some suggestions. Thank You

nathanjax
10-29-09, 06:51 PM
Bilstein HD Front Shocks #F4-BE5-6500-H0
Bilstein HD Rear Shocks #F4-BE5-6501-H0

Yes It will change the handling. The factory ride control will need to be disconnected. The best way to get a factory ride or even better will be to get everything I did. Each part has it's on reasoning...

Shock extenders are a must on a lowered SUV. It will keep the travel of the shock (both in and out) about at factory (and recommended) travel length. Sway bars were a must for me as well...

dstinson
10-30-09, 10:44 PM
I emailed Bilstein for the front shocks and this is the reply I got back:
Unfortunately all of the 2003 Cadillac Escalades use a suspension that the Bilstein shocks are not compatible with. This suspension was a rare option on the Tahoes, but came standard on all Escalades.

Thanks,
Kevin Foote
Sales
www.Allshocks.com www.Allsprings.com www.TurnerMotorsport.com
kfoote@ allshocks.com/turnermotorsport.com
(978) 388-7769 x160

nathanjax
10-30-09, 11:27 PM
I emailed Bilstein for the front shocks and this is the reply I got back:
Unfortunately all of the 2003 Cadillac Escalades use a suspension that the Bilstein shocks are not compatible with. This suspension was a rare option on the Tahoes, but came standard on all Escalades.

Thanks,
Kevin Foote
Sales
www.Allshocks.com www.Allsprings.com www.TurnerMotorsport.com
kfoote@ allshocks.com/turnermotorsport.com
(978) 388-7769 x160

Yup, that's why you have to pull the RTD (Real Time Dampning) fuse under the hood. Any suspension parts you order can be for the tahoes or yukons as well as your Escalade. Since our trucks came with RTD, you get the same shocks as a Tahoe and disable the RTD. You can still do a 2/3 drop and keep the RTD, just get 2" drop spindles for the front, springs and shock extenders for the rear.

Here's more info on my drop

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/180244-free-rims-dropped-4-5-a.html

Here's the helper bag install

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/181602-helper-bags-installed.html

And here's how it looks now. It's a 4" front drop and 5" rear drop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Exterior/10-4-09/DFront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Exterior/10-4-09/DSide.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Exterior/10-4-09/DRear.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Exterior/10-4-09/PRear.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04%20Escalade/Exterior/10-4-09/PFront.jpg

dstinson
10-31-09, 12:28 AM
ok this may be a dumb question, however I will ask (by the way nice truck first). I already have spindles and control arms and for me the truck is low enough in the front (2"). So how much better is the Bilstein shock going to be over the factory one? I do have the rears and I enjoy them. I am not familiar enough with the real time dampening, but I do still use my factory air suspension. I have 22" wheels and the truck does ride a bit rough at times so I would like to do whatever I can to improve it.