: Timing mark clarification

Taspeed
09-15-09, 02:44 PM
Well I'm just about ready to button this beast up, but I want to make sure that I have the timing marks right on the cams. There are LI and LE, and the manual doesn't really say if you use LI for the intake and use the LE for the exhaust cam timing setting. Can anyone let me know for sure. Thanks.

Submariner409
09-15-09, 05:53 PM
Left Intake and Left Exhaust - look at the little dots on the cam sprockets in the diagram. All the timing marks have to be as shown at initial chain installation as it takes 17 engine revolutions to get it all aligned again.

Taspeed
09-15-09, 06:11 PM
That is how i have it, but i was concerned that the intake mark needed to be 90 off the head and the exhaust mark needed to be 90 off the head. Also #1 cylinder is the 3rd piston back on the front side of the motor?

Submariner409
09-15-09, 07:56 PM
Here's your layout.

Taspeed
09-15-09, 08:36 PM
wow. my chiltons diagram is very wrong, but that is why i asked. its just not normal for the odds to be on one side and evens on the other bank. thanks.

Submariner409
09-15-09, 09:16 PM
???? On an Olds 455 from '69 - '76 the left bank is 1-3-5-7 and the right bank is 2-4-6-8. (From the transmission end, as is custom.) Same for older SBC.

Get rid of the Chilton's !!! Go on eBay and pick up a GM/Helm Service Manual or buy a new (expensive) one from www.helminc.com - or - subscribe your car for a year or more to www.alldatadiy.com .

Chilton's and Haynes are far too generic for these cars.

............and make very sure your plug wires are hooked to the coil towers as shown, otherwise you'll have a nagging miss. Google "waste spark ignition" to find out why...........

Taspeed
09-15-09, 09:46 PM
oops. i meant "it is normal for the odds on one bank and the evens on the other". Everything is still connected to the coils I never disconnected them. all else is good.

Ranger
09-15-09, 10:15 PM
Chiltons & Haynes make good bird cage liners. Way too rough for toilet paper.

Taspeed
09-16-09, 12:36 AM
Chiltons & Haynes make good bird cage liners. Way too rough for toilet paper.

john wayne style!