: V1, V2 treminology?

09BlackV
09-15-09, 01:19 PM
Are all 09 CTS-V's V2's? How is the V1 terminology used? What does V1 V2 refer to? Does the V in CTS-V stand for velocity?
Thanks

CIWS
09-15-09, 01:24 PM
V1= 04-07 year models. V2=09+

tedcmiller
09-15-09, 02:35 PM
Yes, the "V" in CTS-V stands for velocity. CIWS is correct about the V1/V2 designations in this forum.

OldRoadDawg
09-15-09, 03:17 PM
I love this discussion, although it never gets resolved.

You could say that the V1 is the 04-05 CTS-V with the LS6 engine,
and then the 06-07 CTS-V with LS2 engine is the real V2

or call them V1.0 and V1.1
or call them V1a and V1b
or just call them both V1

But wait... then the STS-V and XLR-V guys step in and say... "Hold on there. We were here before what is currently called the V2."
Hm-mm :confused:

And now we have the 2009 CTS-V and beyond
Do we call them CTS-V2 ??
Nah.... Too many syllables

All I know is that my '04 CTS-V was one of the 2,461 originals and will always be a "V1" (or 1st gen V).
And my 2009 CTS-V is kick-ass fun, whatever place it takes in the genealogy. :alchi:

Caroutisine
09-15-09, 10:17 PM
Yes, V2 is 2009+ Not to start a V1 discussion in the V2 forum, but I didn't realize there was an engine change. Thought they were all LS6. But was the LS2 an improvement over the LS6? Was it a faster car?

Nutz
09-15-09, 10:24 PM
:can::hide:

Caroutisine
09-15-09, 11:16 PM
:can::hide:

Whoops. Sorry, didn't mean to do that or hijack the thread. I will poke around the V1 forums. Didn't realize the last V1's had the same engine as a base Corvette or Trail Blazer SS so I was interested in this.

"V" does mean Velocity for all the Cadi V series. And I think the "2" refers to the 2008+ 2nd generation CTS cars. I don't think any other current Cadillac base model with the V series (CTS, STS, XLR) has reached their "2nd generation" except for the CTS, so the term V2 is used.

Nutz
09-15-09, 11:49 PM
Nah, just being funny.

Caroutisine
09-16-09, 12:22 AM
I hoped this wouldn't be a big deal :)

For anyone that is interested without doing a search, here is a copy of a good post that seemed to have a summary of the LS6, LS2 V1's:

Originally Posted by trukk
There really isn't much of a difference. You'll here the LS6 guys tease the LS2 guys on here and vice versa, but they are pretty damned close. The LS6 has a bit more HP in the upper ranges, but the LS2 has a bit more TQ doen low. With that said, here are some technical differences, as best I can remember:

- LS6 has 3.9xx" bore, LS2 has 4.0" bore. Both have same stroke (3.5 I beleive). LS2 is 6.0L, LS6 is 5.7L.
- The LS6 is a Gen III engine, vs. LS2 which is GEN IV (gen IV should really be GEN III.5, as there really isn't that much change, they share a lot of parts)
- Both have 243 casting heads, however the LS6 has sodium filled exhaust valves, and hollow stemmed intake valves, for a slightly lighter valvetrain. 6600 rpm redline. I think the LS2 redline is 6500. It is safer to change the redline on an LS6, than an LS2, without changing a lot of stuff.
- The 243 casting heads are cathedral port (triangular shaped roof in the intake runner, and oval D port on the exhaust.) The newer GENIV engines (like the L92, and LS3) utilize a rectangular shapped intake runner (and I believe around exhaust port). The newer design flows better, and is cheap (compared to the aftermarket). I bring this up, because the new castings (refered to as L92's, becuase they were on that engine first) will fit on an LS2 but not on an LS6 block, due to the bore. The LS2 will require a new intake manifold, if you wanted to upgrade to this. You can get the same power on an LS6, however it takes premium heads (which could cost up to $2k more than the L92's).
- LS6 intake manifold has a 78mm TB (intake flows better than LS2, however LS2 has a 90mm TB.) LS6 intake can not be ported (LS2 can, but doesn't out-perfom the LS6 by much)
- The LS6 has no sensors on the intake tube (LS2 has sensors, which means to my knoweldge no one makes a full CAI/Intake Tube kit for the LS2'd V).
- Slightly more agressive cam profile on the LS6. The LS6 in the V has the same cam as the '02-'04 Z06. I beleive the LS2 uses a very similar cam to the '01 385hp Z06.
- .5 less compression on the LS6 vs. LS2. Makes the LS6 'slightly' safer choice if you want to go Forced Indcution.
- 28 lb/hr injectors (vs. 33 lb/hr for the ls2 (I think)). Injectors are not compatible, as they have different connectors.
- The blocks are slighty different (LS2 was designed to support Dispalcement on Demeand, cylinder deactivation, even though it doesn't use it. The L76 block is the same, used on the G8 GT & it has DoD).
- The Eletronic Throtle Controller on the TB on the LS2 faces left, and faces right on the LS6, and the plugs are not compatible (an adapter is requried). I bring this up becuase if you want to upgrade the LS6 to a 90 MM TB, and want to use a readily available (read cheap) TB, you need to get an adapter for it.
- The LS2 uses the CAN Bus , and a faster ECU (it polls the engine much more frequently). For a while this caused an issue with tuning (saoftware wasn't as mature as that for the older LS6 style ECU). LS2 also uses a 58 spoke crank sensor, LS6's was 3x (don't recall the exact number) This is only relavant if you try to put an LS2 into an LS6 based V (or vice versa).
- LS6 came only in the '01-'04 C5 Z06 vette, and the '04-'05 CTS-V. GM stuck the whore LS2 in everything . Base Vette, GTO, SSR, TrailBlazer SS, Silverado SS (probably a few more I forgot). LS6 was the best gen III engine made. LS2 was the first Gen IV engine made, and has already been surpased by many others (LS7, LS3, L92, LS9, LSA). Note that in the real world this means squat. It just makes us '04/'05 guys feel that out engine is a bit more 'special' (the LS2 guys, think more along the lines of shortbus special).
- The accessory drives are a bit different between the two.

I learned a few things today:)

thebigjimsho
09-16-09, 12:44 AM
truck moterz

CIWS
09-16-09, 09:32 AM
Although the V1 had an engine change in 06, it was still rated at 400bhp and the change wasn't because of any intended design change or improvement, it's because GM went to the LS2 engine for production as with their other performance vehicles like the Corvette, GTO, and SSR did the previous year. The V2 was a complete design change.

liqidvenom
09-16-09, 01:54 PM
V1= diff breaker
V2= power maker

fairly simple i think

GMX322V S/C
09-22-09, 11:58 PM
Can somebody cite a source for the "V" standing for "velocity?" I had read when the V1 was introduced that the "V" suffix was paying homage to the V emblems on post-WWII Caddys which signified their being pioneers with using V-engine technology.

whisler151
09-23-09, 12:07 AM
Can somebody cite a source for the "V" standing for "velocity?" I had read when the V1 was introduced that the "V" suffix was paying homage to the V emblems on post-WWII Caddys which signified their being pioneers with using V-engine technology.

Very true. That is exactly what the V is for. Paying homage to the early V8 Cadillacs.

There was a point in time where the Cadillac website had the word "Velocity" as the title of the V Series mini site. People took that to mean that V stands for velocity...untrue.

Caroutisine
09-23-09, 01:13 AM
Motorweek says "V" means velocity :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKeNUsMmFw

CIWS
09-23-09, 08:43 AM
V1= diff breaker
V2= power maker

fairly simple i think

:histeric:

whisler151
09-23-09, 08:57 AM
Motorweek says "V" means velocity :)

Motorweek can only get a 12.7 1/4 mile too. If you ask your average V owner or favorite media outlet, they will all say V is for Velocity. Velocity was used in an early 2004 review and really caught on. V can stand for anything you want it to, velocity, very fast, vendetta, ect. However, it was brought back in 2004 to pay homage to the older V Cadillacs.

Caroutisine
09-23-09, 11:39 AM
Actually that makes more sense than "V" is for velocity.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52755&stc=1&d=1253716595

whisler151
09-23-09, 04:19 PM
Actually that makes more sense than "V" is for velocity.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52755&stc=1&d=1253716595

Exactly. Velocity was an afterthought. It aptly discribed the car and started with a V. Now everyone and their mom thinks V actually stands for Velocity.

ctsv5005
09-23-09, 05:44 PM
V for Victory!

nynd
09-23-09, 05:47 PM
Your all wrong... LOL! The "V" for all V series is short for "V8".... all V units utilize a V8 of some sort! HA!

whisler151
09-23-09, 05:59 PM
Your all wrong... LOL! The "V" for all V series is short for "V8".... all V units utilize a V8 of some sort! HA!

I think that's kinda what I'm saying. I'm just arguing that the V does not stand for "Velocity".

Mystical_Ice
09-24-09, 04:34 AM
whisler is right.

I remember hearing (and thinking at the time) that "V" stood for "5" (Roman numeral for 5) because Cadillac's ad-campaign for the XLR-V, STS-V, and CTS-V used to be something like "3 cars, 0-60 in under 5 seconds" and it would show the "V", and you'd think "oh, the V must stand for '5').

But yeah... the V, as whisler said, is a salute to the 50s+ cadillacs of the past, the ones that had big engines, tri-power carburetors, etc.