: Where to get AC Delco DEXRONIII?

ocmdiaz714
09-15-09, 01:49 AM
I'm getting my transmission fluid trained but the shop wants way too much for the filter and fluid so I'll be paying for the labor alone being $50 and buy a ACDelco TF289 Automatic Transmission Filter online. I can't find the ACDELCO DEXRONII fluid anywhere. There's a bottle available on Amazon but it's only 9 ounces. I'm guessing I'll need around 5 quarts for the job. Can I mix the current ATF with a different brand of ATF such as Pennzoil? Thanks.

BTW, I have a '94 Fleetwood with the 4L60E automatic transmission.

sven914
09-15-09, 04:02 PM
Dexron is the only type of automatic transmission fluid you use in a GM transmission. Anything else will kill the transmission.

Dexron III is fully compatible with Dexron II, which is why you cannot find Dex II anymore.

You need 11.2 quarts for a complete transmission service.

ewill3rd
09-16-09, 07:18 AM
We are up to Dexron VI, you can use Dex III if you can find it but most places won't stock it because it has been "outdated".
You can use VI in a trans that calls for anything less, but don't use III in something that calls for VI or II in something that calls for III or higher for sure.
I haven't seen a bottle of II for about a decade or so.

As stated, don't use any type of trans fluid other than Dexron III or higher or you will smoke it.
Get 6 quarts to start with.

sven914
09-16-09, 04:43 PM
Get 6 quarts to start with.

Why only 6?

His transmission holds 11.2 quarts, which includes the torque converter. A 5 quart bottle will suffice for a pan drop, but a pan drop will not suffice for a service.

Submariner409
09-16-09, 04:50 PM
If you can't find a name brand DEXRON-VI then it's perfectly acceptable to use a name brand DEXRON-III. The two are fully compatible. If a transmission fluid meets GM specs and is labeled DEXRON-xxx, then it's OK to use it.

ewill3rd
09-16-09, 10:13 PM
A pan drop on a 4L60 should only take about 6.
I suppose he could buy 20 quarts if he wants to but I'd start with 6 for a filter change and nothing more.
That should be plenty.
?

N0DIH
09-22-09, 11:13 AM
After seeing the specs on Dexron VI vs Dexron IIE/III, I won't use anything but Dexron VI. It is like comparing SA spec engine oil to SJ synthetic..... worlds of improvement.

steelybill
10-30-09, 10:21 PM
My '93 Fleetwood with the 700R4 calls out 10 pints for an oil & filter change. It would require drilling/tapping a hole in the converter to drain it and plug off the hole. I haven't done that in years, and I figure an oil & filter change with just dropping the pan is sufficient.

sven914
10-31-09, 04:12 PM
My '93 Fleetwood with the 700R4 calls out 10 pints for an oil & filter change. It would require drilling/tapping a hole in the converter to drain it and plug off the hole. I haven't done that in years, and I figure an oil & filter change with just dropping the pan is sufficient.

The proper way to drain the converter is to have the transmission flushed, which pumps all of the fluid out of the transmission. I've never heard any procedure that said to drill holes in the converter.

N0DIH
10-31-09, 06:07 PM
Yes, to drain a converter is to drill holes. I would drill 2, one top one bottom to keep balance, and then pop-rivet the holes. I think I read it in a FSM once. There is a risk of leak.

The best way is the 2 bucket method, drop the cooler lines, one (suction) in a full bucket of fluid, and the outlet of the cooler into a empty bucket. Then start it up and let it suck away.... This is the best way. I would drop pan and change filter first. Fill pan with fluid though.