: Timing Chain Woes!!

jjhammer
09-14-09, 04:31 PM
Called the dealer for an estimate on a new timing chain. He advised having new tensioners also plus new water pump as they are close together?? Anyway, the estimate was 1700 dollars!! I about went in my pants! Now I need to learn how to DIY. Any suggestions? Advice? How much more would a new engine be? I mean really!

Warez
09-14-09, 06:26 PM
Buy the timing belt kit from Rock Auto, It's something like $250. The dealer here wanted $900 for the kit.

I did the installation and it was a PITA.

Vesicant
09-14-09, 09:35 PM
Most timing belt jobs are a PITA. Oh and yes, you should aways change the tensioner, water pump and all related pulleys. Also, if you're not versed in what you're about to take on I suggest not doing it yourself. One can easily mess up the delicate timing of the engine.

JRomano
09-14-09, 09:55 PM
what i did was buy all the parts via rockauto.com (belt, tensioner, idler pulley, serp belt, serp belt tensioner w/ pulley, water pump etc) and im going to have an independent mechanic do it for a couple hundred

jjhammer
09-15-09, 01:07 PM
If I could find someone to do it for a couple hundred that would be great! The dealer quoted the time as a 5 hour job. which means that they seriously rip you off! I will check with a couple of independent mechanics first. Otherwise I might attemp it myself. I have read that once you are into it you have to lock everyhing up so nothing will move-otherwise you will throw everything off. Is this something we are supposed to do every 50,000 miles?
Thanks for the help.

Vesicant
09-15-09, 09:33 PM
If I could find someone to do it for a couple hundred that would be great! The dealer quoted the time as a 5 hour job. which means that they seriously rip you off! I will check with a couple of independent mechanics first. Otherwise I might attemp it myself. I have read that once you are into it you have to lock everyhing up so nothing will move-otherwise you will throw everything off. Is this something we are supposed to do every 50,000 miles?
Thanks for the help.

Some vehicles it takes that long if not more. Im not sure as I myself havent attempted a t-belt job on a Catera. However, the service manual I have does quote it at around 3 hours for a skilled mech.

Whats the mileage at on your Catera?

JRomano
09-16-09, 01:00 AM
Is this something we are supposed to do every 50,000 miles?
Thanks for the help.

The 97 and 98 came with a poorly designed tensioner, which would prematurely fail around 40k-60k miles, and cause lots of valvetrain damage.
I don't know if it was in 99 or 00 they updated the design of the timing belt tensioner and the updated change interval AFAIK is 100k miles with the new style tensioner.

Hemi_Tom
09-19-09, 10:03 AM
It takes about 3 1/2 - 4 hours to change the timing belt, tensioners and water pump if you've done it before. If you live near Dayton Ohio, we would be glad to do it for you. If not, or you want to do it yourself, we will rent you the tool and instructions for $50.00 a week.
http://autotechunlimited.com/tool-rental/

jjhammer
09-20-09, 09:29 AM
I have 70,000 miles on it and do not know if it has been changed out before. I am thinking I have to do it soon? Thanks!

fuzzkill
09-20-09, 12:16 PM
What year is your Catera? I bought my 2000 with a jumped (original) timing belt. It lasted to 113,000.

I would say 70,000 is a little early to do it, maybe around 80 to 85k if it is the later style tensioner. If it is the earlier style tensioner then I would go ahead and get it done.

If you have never done a timing belt job before, the Catera isn't the best car for a first timer; in fact it's probably one of the worst.

jjhammer
09-23-09, 08:33 PM
It is a 2000 Catera so Maybe I will be okay for awhile? Sure dont what to blow the engine though!

Robotdoogie
10-21-09, 11:01 PM
I was told that the cams need to be timed one at a time and resetting the tension after each one is set, ensuring the previous ones do not move. Not at all like most cars we are familiar with. Way to go SAAB.

Change the tensioner every time.

If you have a motor with bent valves then chances are good you have damaged the piston ring groves and this will result in a low compression motor. You will not find out till it is all back together and it has no power. The top piston ring is very close to the surface and even a little hit can seize the piston ring causing it not to seal properly.

Not a good idea to give it to a shop with limited Catera experience. That 4 hours will turn into 8 hours very fast.

Good luck if you do it your self. Just keep the assembly fluid (beer) in the fridge till it runs.:alchi:

R-Caddy
10-24-09, 04:14 PM
Come on guys. The job isn't that bad. Water pump is not a big deal. Just take your time, get the TORX bits and sockets and a 30mm socket. Also get lockable pliers to keep the belt around the crank pulley tight while you start routing it. And like Robotdoogie said, keep the assembly fluid cold ;)
Good luck
Aras