: The Cadillac CTS-V Mile

davebach
09-12-09, 04:09 AM
The kiddos returned to school last week and have been bringing home the math homework. Man, I use to love those word problems. Just a thought...

A BMW 5-series is racing down the highway at a constant 75mph. It will take him 48 seconds to get from mile marker 1 to mile marker 2.

Now waiting for the BMW at mile marker 1 is the first of four Cadillac CTS-Vs laid out every 440 yards. As the BMW passes the first CTS-V takes off and begins to accelerate down the highway until it reaches the second CTS-V. Then the second CTS-V takes off and begins to accelerate down the highway until it reaches the third CTS-V. This continues until the fourth CTS-V passes mile marker 2 at almost the exact same time that the BMW does.

An impressive feat that is accomplished from four dead stops.

Gary Wells
09-12-09, 08:51 AM
Damn, my head hurts now.

aco
09-12-09, 11:34 AM
The BMW and #4 CTS-V should cross mile 2 at the same exact time, per the 1/4 mile estimate from Cadillac, 12.0 seconds.

distance BMW travels in 1 minute = 75 mph / 60 min = 1.25 miles
time for BMW to travel 1 mile @ 75mph = 1 mile / 1.25 mpm = 0.8 minutes = 48 seconds
time for 4 CTS-V's to travel 1 mile from a dead stop = 4 * 12.0 sec / 1/4 mile = 48 seconds.

Yes, I like story problems also. :)