: Problems removing head dowels

Taspeed
09-11-09, 02:27 PM
When using Jakes studs do these get reused? If not I'll drill through them or weld to em and pull them out. Thanks.

Ranger
09-11-09, 03:31 PM
They do not get reused. Jakes studs have the locating pins built in. Yank 'em.

Taspeed
09-11-09, 04:19 PM
yeah...i did finally open them all up and see that. I think I'm going to try the threaded rod and pipe trick to get them out. To be honest with you this kit is just about idiot proof. It should have a little more instruction for those not as mechanically inclined(pictures possibly), but it works very very well. Good job Jake!

Krashed989
09-11-09, 06:47 PM
For anyone wanting to remove those dowels without squishing them into oblivion, I found that the chain guide bolts fit perfectly into the dowels. Then you just use vise grips or something and twist like mad until they come out. Use a grinder to remove any burrs from scratches and then you can reuse them. Installation is easier after you have left them in the freezer and coated them with a penetrating lubricant. Use a plastic hammer to reinstall so you don't damage them.

Jakes kit doesn't require you to reuse the dowels; however, if you install threaded inserts you will need to reuse them.

97EldoCoupe
09-13-09, 10:04 PM
Thanks Taspeed, I'll be shooting a video soon on a stud kit install. The kit is in constant development. An alignment pin removal tool may soon come with the kit. The corrugated cardboard packaging will soon be a thing of the past, since UPS seems to be collecting nuts and washers. Pictures? Great idea.

Krashed989, The first few Northstars I did I used the same method you were, and with terrible results, I ended up splitting one carefully with a chisel because that danged thing would NOT come out. Screw that, threaded rod and a welder it is. Works every time, only takes a few minutes with an impact and a 1/2" heavy hex nut and all four are out.

I have all the specifications now for a bottom end (main bearing) stud kit, just a matter of days now....