: My time with the V2

Florian
09-11-09, 11:59 AM
Fellas,

Im just coming off about 250 miles in the new CTSv as I had planned on buying one at the end of the model year to pick up a decent deal. I found the car that I wanted locally (silver, no sunroof, everything else) and got the numbers where I wanted them (GMS + 1000 for conquest) so it was around 59K. Trade in numbers were good as well...things were definately looking up for a new ride.

Then the test drive over 2 days....

First...the car is a BEAST! It really surprised me from the acceleration to cornering then the braking....just fantastic stopping power. Anyhow, I fell in love with the power this car offers and it certainly has earned the bang for the buck title. I put on plenty of highway miles and played with the suspension settings...you can choose tour or sport and the ride stiffens accordingly. The traction control is the same as our STSvs where you can disable it on demand. I really enjoyed tooling down the road in this car.

However - the interior, while touted over in the CTSv section is not nearly as plush as our STSvs - Id say it is a step down. The seats are smaller and not nearly as comfortable (I drove a non-Recaro V), there is more plastic, especially the control clusters on the steering wheel, almost flimsy in their appearance. The nav screen, while cool popping out of the dash, makes you reach about 6-8" farther than the arms length STSv to operate, not very comfortable in my view. The nav is much more detailed, but it is almost too busy. Id give the interior a 6/10 while Id offer that our STSvs are an 8/10.

In short, I did not purchase the V....I may in the future when prices come down a bit....I couldnt justify spending 59K when there are currently a few very low mileage cars already in the 40's....price will continue to drop on these and Im sure, if desired, we could pick one up in a year or so for high 30's-low 40s. I'll let someone else be the depreciation dog on these wonderful cars.

Flame suit on.

F

WillySTS
09-11-09, 12:32 PM
That all sounds about right from where I stand as well, it is a FAST car, technically more advanced but ergonomicly a step down.
My wife saw one on the freeway and came home and told me how fast it was...she said it TELEPORTED:yup: up about 5 car lengths to change lanes!!!
She said it was so fast...it may have,... just for an instant,... been in 2 places at once!...Honey, your car isn't that fast!...
...Gotta love my wife...she might be crazier than I am:cookoo:

CIWS
09-11-09, 02:06 PM
Interesting perspective F-Man. I'm still going to wait until the Coupe arrives at a dealership where I can see it in person and at that point consider going with it. If not I'll probably go outside of Cadillac this time. The lack of knowledge on the part of the local dealership's techs with the STS-V has left me a little gun shy.

55cadillacking
09-11-09, 06:22 PM
Interesting perspective F-Man. I'm still going to wait until the Coupe arrives at a dealership where I can see it in person and at that point consider going with it. If not I'll probably go outside of Cadillac this time. The lack of knowledge on the part of the local dealership's techs with the STS-V has left me a little gun shy.

Got to agree with CIWS...might consider leaving Cadillac in a few years just because I have yet to find a dealership that has the slightest knowledge when it comes to the intricacies of this car. I got a very different vibe at the German dealers where they seemed PASSIONATE about their cars. I'd go with a S5 over a V2 in a heartbeat although the power of the V2 is remarkable.

Florian
09-11-09, 07:36 PM
For the same dough, Id take a SL series Benz (off lease) with 30-40K miles and enjoy life.

F

thebigjimsho
09-12-09, 01:02 PM
You? Gun shy? hmm...

thebigjimsho
09-12-09, 01:03 PM
Got to agree with CIWS...might consider leaving Cadillac in a few years just because I have yet to find a dealership that has the slightest knowledge when it comes to the intricacies of this car. I got a very different vibe at the German dealers where they seemed PASSIONATE about their cars. I'd go with a S5 over a V2 in a heartbeat although the power of the V2 is remarkable.
We had a guy here named toysnot once...

johnb21
09-12-09, 02:58 PM
Hey Bigjismho, I recognize that track in your video.....it only took me about 1 sec.
NHIS...can't count how many times I have been there...
john
Ashland, Ma

thebigjimsho
09-13-09, 12:20 AM
Hey Bigjismho, I recognize that track in your video.....it only took me about 1 sec.
NHIS...can't count how many times I have been there...
john
Ashland, Ma
Ashland, nice. I'm in Billerica. However, I've only been to NHMS twice. Not very V friendly. Hopefully they'll get Palmer going soon...

Jpjr
09-14-09, 12:59 AM
Florian I agree with much of what you said but I will still likely trade in my STS-V this week and order a 2010 CTS-V. The interior in the new CTS is definitely more plasticky than STS but still much nicer than the brand new E550 I drove for two days last week.

Florian
09-14-09, 04:21 PM
Good on ya, Jpjr....youre gonna have a blast...it is a fun FAST car....no question there...it outperforms our STSvs in EVERY way.....
It has a shitty interior though.

F

Jpjr
09-15-09, 12:10 PM
Good on ya, Jpjr....youre gonna have a blast...it is a fun FAST car....no question there...it outperforms our STSvs in EVERY way.....
It has a shitty interior though.

F

The toughest thing to get used to will be going back to a smaller cabin. I never realized until I got back in a V1 a few months ago how much more leg room and space you get with STS. I'm also expecting a much firmer ride and combined with a stick will probably not win over my wife and baby right away.

CIWS
09-15-09, 01:13 PM
Although not the V, I had a 09 CTS with Sport package for several days while they were working on mine and could definitely tell the difference in overall fit and cabin room. It's also when I discovered I do not like the adaptive headlights.

inurok
09-16-09, 08:38 AM
The one I test drove was dangerously too fast for me in spite of the high prices.

55cadillacking
09-16-09, 01:25 PM
I feel the same way. That power seemed ridiculous. My wife was NOT impressed when I opened it up on a test drive this summer. Probably ruined any chance of owning one in the future. I wasn't as turned off by the interior as some of you.

Tinmanx
09-22-09, 12:27 AM
I agree that the interior on the new CTS-V is not on par with the current STS-V. I was seriously thinking about trading my STS-V in, but after driving the new CTS-V, I am hesitant. I like the STS keyless entry and push button start, and I don't feel like the CTS is quite there yet with their keyless offering. Maybe it's just me, but while driving the new CTS, I get the feeling like something is just not quite right. It's a good try on the interior, but they just missed the mark. I am stuck in next car limbo. I really don't know what to get. I was looking at maybe a Mercedes, but Im just not getting that "I gotta have it" feeling like I did with my STS-V.

CIWS
09-22-09, 08:19 AM
I am stuck in next car limbo. I really don't know what to get. I was looking at maybe a Mercedes, but Im just not getting that "I gotta have it" feeling like I did with my STS-V.

Give it 10-12 months. Several new cars coming that will warrant some attention.

Kadonny
09-22-09, 11:28 AM
The toughest thing to get used to will be going back to a smaller cabin. I never realized until I got back in a V1 a few months ago how much more leg room and space you get with STS. I'm also expecting a much firmer ride and combined with a stick will probably not win over my wife and baby right away.

True to the V1, not true to the V2. the V2 unquestionably has more leg room than the STS-V, hands down. With the seat all the way back, my legs can fully stretch out 100%, I couldn't ever do that with my STS-V.

Honestly? I don't see how you can say the V2 ergonomically is a step down. In my opinion it's a step up. The steering wheel controls are way better, the center stack is way better and easier to reach and use, the window controls are easier to use (on an angle), the parking brake is a button now rather than that stupid foot pedal, the nav is better, the interior lighting is better (not ergonomic, but worth a mention). The only thing I agree is that the nav is a bit farther away to operate and I would like it not to be a pop up, but so be it. And looks wise? No comparison, the V2 interior is just hands down sexy.

I loved my STS-V, no question about it. But I soon realized the CTS-V2 is a superior car in my opinion in every way.

*dons anti STS-V flame suit*

Florian
09-23-09, 10:53 AM
no worries, Kadonny, I just dont find the new V sedan my taste.....

now the Coupe :>

F

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-25-09, 08:39 AM
OOOO!!!! The coupe is dead sexy!!! The new caddy commercial has the Coupe at the verry end going across the dessert. Me likey!!

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-25-09, 08:42 AM
Oh! I DVR'd a show and it cought another Caddy commercial with Bob L. walking through the plant. At the end I noticed a car in the background still covered. I re-wound and paused it to see why they would do that in a commercial. It looked to be a CTS Coupe. Under cover??? Could it have been the Coupe V????

CIWS
09-25-09, 11:04 AM
Oh! I DVR'd a show and it cought another Caddy commercial with Bob L. walking through the plant. At the end I noticed a car in the background still covered. I re-wound and paused it to see why they would do that in a commercial. It looked to be a CTS Coupe. Under cover??? Could it have been the Coupe V????

Na , as per the desert commercial they've unmasked the CTS coupe now. What you saw was probably related to the ATS, which is still slightly under wraps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-coupe-sedan-forum/179674-cadillac-ats-front-end-revealed-new.html