: New CTS-V Owner info

jamespward
09-11-09, 10:10 AM
Hello everyone,

I will taking be ownership of a brand new 2010 V next week and was wondering if some of the forum members may be able to suggest or offer advice on what would be the best care/maintenance/operating (break in for motor/brakes/trans/etc.) to keep this beast in prime condition. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, this my first performance car since I had a 1996 Impala SS. Have been driving large SUV's since then. This is a great site and it has been a tremendous resource in getting information about this awesome vehicle.

Gary Wells
09-11-09, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forum.

wfo
09-11-09, 10:53 AM
All the above, except to add. Hold on, white knuckle rides ahead, grinning all the way, sliding in sideways guns and smoke ablazing. Congrats and welcome.

62Jeff
09-11-09, 11:00 AM
Your owner's manual has all the detailed break-in information. Additionally, there was a thread on this forum recently where people talked about the same data in the owner's manual.

In short though, break-in these days is more about the transmission/differential, and brakes, than the engine. The brakes have a different break-in procedure than the drivetrain so look for that in your manual.

Congratulations and welcome.

NeedCTS-v
09-11-09, 11:03 AM
1st and foremost I would encourage use of the search feature. While I'm sure that many will respond to your question, much has already been written up particularly regarding preferred break-in procedures and just about anything else you may want to know.

As for the break in itself, GM suggests that the engine is broken in at the factory but the driveline has not. You'll want to keep your speeds down (driving and rpm) for the first 500 miles (some prefer a longer period (700-1200 miles) and avoid maintaining a constant speed for extended duration.

Although GM doesn't suggest it, many of us changed out our oil and other fluids early in the car's life (between 500-1500 miles).

Most importantly, enjoy this car. It is really amazing what GM has accomplished with this one.

Welcome aboard!