: Serviced Motor, Transmission, Differential... What learned

SlvrBullIT
09-11-09, 01:38 AM
Motor oil was easy, even "looked like" a filtermag slot was built right in when I put in the AMSoil EA50 filter on and the "C" mag slid on where a groove was open on the one side. :thumbsup: Old oil was black opaque, feel was bad. very thick. ~6qts out so no consumption as far as calibrated as my eyes are and the little bit that dribbled that i couldn't measure.

Tranny... where do I start.... Pulled the pan after draining it...Low and behold... a magnet in the shape of a washer to the rear of the pan!!! 1.5" with a 1/2" hole int he middle...it's small but there. If you look to the back of the pan and see a divot on the right.. or left side that is where the magnet is on the inside. Still used my filtermag though. The shop didn't have ATL AMSoil so I had to put Dextron VI back in (new fluid btw) the pan. Filled in via plug on the right hand side of the tranny. But I think the tranny is running hot...176F now vs 149F before pan refill Please let me know what you DIC tells you on the Auto tranny if you can guys. While I was there swapping fluids, Chevy guys dropped by to pick up some exhaust piping and told me and another mechanic that GM doesn't advise tranny flush :suspect: and to not do it.....hmmmm
If anyone has swapped tranny fluids, can you please say here or PM with how you did it? Via the cooler lines.... etc

Differential....HOLY COW was mine LOW :rant2::rant2::rant2: Like ~30% low and smelled REALLY BAD and looked and felt really bad. Very black and opaque, I know this is not a guide but felling it on my fingers swirling it around between my thumb and forefinger felt very abnormal, I could have sworn it felt inconsistent. Then the smell.....yeesh. Replaced with AMSoil and 4oz additive. Filter mag added. BTW mag on drain plug as another member pointed out, but I added another.

After buttoning it up and driving it around...the car sounds smoother and I'm missing noise!!! Must have been the diff hummm. The car is just quieter. Launches fine, was paying attention to trans temp when I saw 176F top when I'm usually at 149ish.

Some will wonder why I changed fluids out at 5700 miles....
Well I'm doing a HPDE class on Saturday and I've read some users having issues with diff temps. I figure might as well change them out so I don't have an issue in any case....

Gary Wells
09-11-09, 06:09 AM
Was this performed at a GM Cadillac dealership?

SlvrBullIT
09-11-09, 06:59 AM
No, I did it at a performance shop. The owner let me do some wrench time. The Cadillac dealership expressly told me that they would void my warranty if I used AMSoil PERIOD..... So I'm only going to the dealership to have them fix broke stuff from now on, maintenance ... I'm doing myself or having the performace shop do.

Marcuse12
09-11-09, 10:17 AM
Diff fluid usually smells bad, really bad.

Florian
09-11-09, 12:01 PM
gear oil smells like ass.....thats normal.

F

SlvrBullIT
09-11-09, 03:57 PM
I know it does... but when it comes out and it evacuates an area..... I've changed out an 82 IROC Z28 limited slip diff and 2002 Camaro SS Limited and neither of those were nearly as bad...

alpinewhite325i
09-11-09, 11:31 PM
I know it does... but when it comes out and it evacuates an area..... I've changed out an 82 IROC Z28 limited slip diff and 2002 Camaro SS Limited and neither of those were nearly as bad...

There's no such thing as 82 IROC Z!!:thepan:

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 12:43 AM
opps 86 IROC Z, 82 was an MSE Trans AM

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 12:44 AM
IROC Z was mine MSE Trans Am was my fathers

nradcad
09-12-09, 01:41 AM
So my tranny temp (with 800 miles on it runs around 175F-200F) - depending on my type of driving. Based on what the op is saying, are my tranny temps normal?

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 08:25 PM
6M or Auto?

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 08:26 PM
There's no such thing as 82 IROC Z!!:thepan:

Yeah my bad...

Gary Wells
09-12-09, 09:08 PM
No, I did it at a performance shop. The owner let me do some wrench time. The Cadillac dealership expressly told me that they would void my warranty if I used AMSoil PERIOD..... So I'm only going to the dealership to have them fix broke stuff from now on, maintenance ... I'm doing myself or having the performace shop do.
SlvrBullIT:
BTW, When I asked as to whether you had your CTS-V serviced at a GM authorized *Cadillac dealer*, I asked primarily as I am inclined to do the same thing. I have read about so much unhappiness and discord with the Cadillac dealers in general that I have become actually afraid to take my car to a dealer for anything, whether I have modded anything or not. At this point, I am afraid to take the car in even for normal servicing, regardless of oil brands. I guess that so far means that I can mod mine to my hearts content, as I am going to be the one who pays the bill. I think that I have just cured my concern as what I am going to do when it is time to have it serviced or fixed.

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 10:24 PM
I went to the Caddy dealership I bought from.

nradcad
09-12-09, 11:02 PM
6M or Auto?

mines an auto.

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 11:25 PM
hmm I thought getting up to 180ish was high maybe that is normal op temp. Hence I was hoping others would respond with what they have.

SlvrBullIT
09-12-09, 11:26 PM
After the fluid swap and doing HPDE today, the car was flawless, good shifts in sport mode, no issues with diff temp. I loved every minute... to bad I could put the V on a diet and lose some of that 4200+lbs of weight.

GPat599
09-14-09, 03:12 AM

Did you go to Covert? They told me the exact same thing.

SlvrBullIT
09-14-09, 05:42 AM
No I went to Cavender in San Antonio

GPat599
09-14-09, 05:18 PM
Just got everything swapped at the local Jiffy Lube. I ordered all Ams stuff myself and they swapped it for $25, you can't beat that. I swear the car feels totally different, the most noticeable thing is the exhaust sound - I have W4M 3'' straight back and to me the sound seemed a lot more crisp and throaty.