: 2000 Escalade Catalytic Converter Questions

beaker2000
09-09-09, 09:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

First off I am new to this site, but joined because I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else! :crybaby: Anyhow, I need to replace my entire exhaust system. Basically back from the manifold flanges. I have found a site online that I can get an OEM Catalytic Converter system with both converters, and then an exhaust system that has the muffler and all the correct bends in the pipes.

Here is my problem: My vehicle is a California Emissions vehicle. I do not live in California however. I know this just means it has stricter emissions. The catalytic system I am looking at purchasing is a federal emissions system, and not California.

Here is my question, will it do ANY harm to put in a Catalytic Converter system that is for Federal Emissions Standards on a California Emissions Standards vehicle? All information is much appreciated!!

I am trying to save money because California cats are SOOOO expensive! Can I go the cheap route and be fine????

andersons
09-09-09, 09:39 PM
Hi, I just replaced my catalytic converter on my 2000 Eldorado. I can't tell you the difference between California emissions and federal Standards but I can advise you not to replace your converters with anything but a Cadillac replacement which is very expensive. I was quoted $1600.00 each or the "GM fixer" which I used. The cost of mine was $371.00 installed. If you go with anything else be prepared to be bombarded with codes that will not go away.
Good Luck!

sk7
09-09-09, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the forum! 2000 escalades have a 5.7L? I don't think replacing the system with a non CA unit would be an issue. You might want to check if the O2 sensors are the same for both models. Worst case scenario you would require a matching ECM for your exhaust, which you can find cheap on fleabay. Good luck.

beaker2000
09-09-09, 09:44 PM
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it! That is basically what I am wondering, if I replace my two cats with non-California emissions cats, but also replace all O2 sensors, am I going to get codes, and will the engine run correctly. Hopefully someone will know the answer. I am hoping to not have to spend the insane amounts of money to get California emissions cats!!!

beaker2000
09-09-09, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the forum! 2000 escalades have a 5.7L? I don't think replacing the system with a non CA unit would be an issue. You might want to check if the O2 sensors are the same for both models. Worst case scenario you would require a matching ECM for your exhaust, which you can find cheap on fleabay. Good luck.

Yes, I have the 5.7

Thanks for your reply! :D

sk7
09-09-09, 10:32 PM
My last truck had a 5.7 (full size blazer). Altho it was a TBI, I've done away with the cat since it was plugged up and installed a X pipe with headers with flowmasters. I was hoping to fool the ECM into thinking the cat was still there by jumping the O2 sensor wire with a resistor. It didn't work... I installed a new O2 sensor (heated instead on non heated) and all was well, no check engine issues. We don't have any emisson tests around here.