: '95 eldo TC fuel smell in cabin & hard-start

whalers70
07-28-04, 09:13 AM
I suddenly began noticing a strong fuel smell in the cabin on my '95 eldo TC (northstar). It even lingers overnight. It appears to be coming through the ventilation duct. When driving, the smell goes away until I come to a light or idle situation, then it re-appears. The smell is very strong. Also, the engine cranks quite a bit before it will start. I put a new fuel pressure regulator in about 2 years ago due to hard-starting, but this is the first time I have actually smelled fuel and am wondering if the fpr could be bad again. I haven't popped the hood yet, just putting my feelers out here first for some expertise.

Chris

zonie77
07-28-04, 10:15 AM
The fuel pressure regulator is the first thing to check

JimD
07-28-04, 10:17 AM
Time to pop that hood; you "might" have a fuel rail leak. Find the source.

zonie77
07-28-04, 10:32 AM
Is this model in the recall? If it has the plastic fuel lines it is. Check under the cover on the top of the engine.
This thread is current but you may not have seen it.
http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16763
It has the instr you need.

eldorado1
07-28-04, 04:07 PM
Sounds like it's time to remove the beauty cover, turn the key to run (not start) and start sniffing/feeling around for leaks in the fuel rail. You have a potentially very dangerous situation on your hands, so take a look at it immediately.

jeffreykeithpike
07-28-04, 05:10 PM
I just removed the bueaty cover on mine and sure enough a pin hole leak between 6 and 8. Dealer part $350 for nylon and $183 for stainless steel.

eldorado1
07-28-04, 11:28 PM
I just removed the bueaty cover on mine and sure enough a pin hole leak between 6 and 8. Dealer part $350 for nylon and $183 for stainless steel.

You should be covered under the recall with a 96 eldo... Do they stock the stainless rails yet?

jeffreykeithpike
07-29-04, 08:48 PM
Vin # did not show up in the dealers system for recall on fuel rails. And they do not stock the stainless rails yet but they claim it is a one day part.

caddyshack24
07-29-04, 09:16 PM
Ought Oh. I also have this smell on my 1993 Northstar and assumed it was the EVAP or EGR system. Will check it out asap. Just wondering why the price difference. Wouldn't stainless steel be better than the more expensive nylon?

Ranger
07-29-04, 09:40 PM
Ought Oh. I also have this smell on my 1993 Northstar and assumed it was the EVAP or EGR system. Will check it out asap. Just wondering why the price difference. Wouldn't stainless steel be better than the more expensive nylon?
The '93/'94 Northstars are not included in the recall because the fuel rail is inside the intake so a leak will simply cause a rich condition as it will be injested through the intake. I am not sure you would even smell it. Yours may infact be the EVAP system malfuntioning or a leak somewhere other than the fuel rail. In any case a fuel leak is not good. Check it out.

caddyshack24
07-29-04, 11:09 PM
The '93/'94 Northstars are not included in the recall because the fuel rail is inside the intake so a leak will simply cause a rich condition as it will be injested through the intake. I am not sure you would even smell it. Yours may infact be the EVAP system malfuntioning or a leak somewhere other than the fuel rail. In any case a fuel leak is not good. Check it out.

Right, Right. I was aware that i'm excluded from the recall, I remember Logan posting that awhile back. Although i'm still curious as to which fuel line would be better.. stainless steel or the nylon. In the case I do have to R&R this part.

If the recalls are getting stainless steel, superior part or cost management?

.. The smell makes itself known like Whalers noted, Idle.. A/C on and thru the vents. Sometimes blow by when you hang your head out the window. Occasioanly the smell is replaced by a coolant odor. (hoping this isnt a head gasket) But doesn't appear to be running rich, based on the PCM fuel trim values anyways. Yeah man, I'm going to definatly check this out when I can.

Later, Eddie

scorch
07-31-04, 06:42 PM
You need to check out your fuel rail immediately. I own a '93 Eldorado that was sending out similar smoke signals - and where there's smoke there's fire. In my case it backfired into the intake manifold (after similar hard starts), momentarily creating a 9 cylinder external combustion engine. I was just lucky the the subsequent fire didn't happen at the pump where I'd just fueled up 5 min prior.

Ranger
07-31-04, 11:44 PM
If you are smelling fuel, it is not likely the fuel rail as the fuel rail is, as mentioned, inside the intake which would draw any fumes down stream and into the engine. This is not to make lite of scorches post. It would more likely be an external fuel line, prior to the fuel rail. The cabin intake is right at the base of the windshield so it can easily pick up gas fumes from under the hood.

jeffreykeithpike
08-01-04, 08:11 PM
My 96 EL had a pin hole leak in the fuel rail. Dealer did not have info on the recall yet. I used glass cloth strip and 5 min epoxy to fix it until the recall. The patch is working well.

Ken Seliga
08-11-04, 08:54 AM
I just a received yesterday a recall notice from Cadillac for my 95 Eldorado...The notice says that the nylon fuel rail may leak and cause a hazardous condition. It says the dealer will INSPECT and replace if necessary the fuel rail with SS... Of course they don't say what other years are affected...It wouldn't hurt to call with your VIN...The recall notice also included a reimbursment form if you can prove you ahd to pay for repairs....

Ranger
08-11-04, 12:40 PM
The recall is for '95-'97

johnny133
08-11-04, 01:32 PM
It that recall for all 95-97 4.6L Northstar engines? Should I get mine checked/replaced even if it hasn't caused a problem yet? I just recently bought my 97 SLS, so I probably won't be getting a letter from GM. Will any dealer honor this recall if it's the right model?

Ranger
08-11-04, 02:17 PM
Yes, '95-'97 Northstars. If you bought from a dealer you'll get a notice. If you bought private you'll have to contact a dealer. Any Cadillac dealer should take care of it. Be advised though, that many dealers said they new nothing about it. The notices are just starting to go out and I suspect that the stainless steel lines are just starting to come in so you may find some dealers still unaware of it.