: Maf!!!

crazcaddyguy
09-09-09, 03:15 PM
whats up,

My question of the day is, can a bad maf sensor throw your car into limp mode??? i took it to a friend that has his own shop he hooked it up to his scanner and he told me that there was i break in the wiring to the maf! i haven't tried cleaning it, but i traced all the wiring to it and no break! everything looks good i really need to know what is causing this car to stay in limp mode!!! if not i think im going to have to sell it and take my losses!! thanks for any help.

Army_MP_From_MO
09-12-09, 01:08 PM
When you say limp mode, is your sport mode light coming on and blinking or is your car just not responding with any power?

CateraMV6
09-12-09, 02:46 PM
My MAF sensor is bad, and I know it because it keeps throwing code P0171 and P0174 for lean banks... and I have been resetting for the last month, and lately as soon as I reset it it comes back.

Now if I reset the CEL the car starts to run very rough and it almost wants to stall, especially when its cold... then the CEL comes on and then it starts to run smooth until I reset it again.

I found a cheap MAF from rockauto... runs something like 75$ and I may order one today or tomorrow and see if that works.

Here is something you can do... start the car and pull the wiring out of the MAF... if the engine hesitates then the sensor is running properly... if nothing happens, then you will know that its the sensor... or possibly the wires that go to it...

crazcaddyguy
09-13-09, 07:11 PM
well i think its a limp mode...??? when i start it, it runs fine but i cant accelarate past 1500 rpm, it will drive but then it wont go more than 1200 rpm...???? i did check to see if the wiring to it was good and it was! no breaks what so ever i havent tried to change the maf. my sport light does come on and stay blinking! as well as the traction control and cel but they stay solid!!

Army_MP_From_MO
09-14-09, 01:16 PM
It sounds like you have several problems.

When the sport light comes on and blinks, that is a transmission issue.

If your MAF is bad then it can cause loss of power. It sounds like what mine was doing when I first bought her.

Your CEL light shows that some codes have been stored for diagnosis. You can get them read at Autozone, if you can't get it there then you will need to borrow or buy a reader.

I can't give any insight into the traction control. I haven't dealt with that problem.

CateraMV6
09-14-09, 02:03 PM
My MAF sensor is bad, and I know it because it keeps throwing code P0171 and P0174 for lean banks... and I have been resetting for the last month, and lately as soon as I reset it it comes back.

Now if I reset the CEL the car starts to run very rough and it almost wants to stall, especially when its cold... then the CEL comes on and then it starts to run smooth until I reset it again.

I found a cheap MAF from rockauto... runs something like 75$ and I may order one today or tomorrow and see if that works.

Here is something you can do... start the car and pull the wiring out of the MAF... if the engine hesitates then the sensor is running properly... if nothing happens, then you will know that its the sensor... or possibly the wires that go to it...

UPDATE:

After digging around some more, i found out the Saturn V6 is exactly the same car as ours and the MAF sensor is likely the same as well, I have ordered one from autozone... 73$... and it will be here tomorrow...

As soon as it gets here I will install it and see if it works, and if it does I will update again and maybe even get a new thread set up with all the info for purchasing these.

CateraMV6
09-14-09, 02:46 PM
Here is what the Saturn MAF looks like...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/21804040010_large.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/21804040107_large1.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/21804040108_large1.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/21804040111_large.jpg

crazcaddyguy
09-14-09, 05:21 PM
I have a cheep code reader Here are the codes ...p0100,p1510,p1516,p1526 p0100 is the maf the p1500s have to do with the trottle! That all i know!!

CateraMV6
09-14-09, 07:06 PM
p0100 - P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction

p1510 - P0510 Closed Throttle Position Switch Malfunction

p1516 - P0516 Battery Temp Sensor Circ Lo

p1526 - P0526 Fan Speed Sensor Circ

Vesicant
09-14-09, 10:39 PM
If the MAF is malfunctioning either the engine is reading the false messages the MAF is reporting OR the car is running in whats called Speed Density mode. Its a pre-set fuel and air measurements based off engine displacement and etc. It may not run properly if its the first thing I mentioned. You can essentially run without the MAF connected but I dont reccomend it.

The second code there P0510 might be related to one of the throttle position sensors. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-throttle-position-sensor.html

crazcaddyguy
09-15-09, 02:17 AM
Vesicant, you mentioned one of the tps! a 2000 catera sport has more than one? And where are they? That link didnt mention a limp mode for a bad tps?

Vesicant
09-15-09, 10:51 PM
Ah ok I figured it out. The Catera has an accelerator pedal position sensor and just one TPS sensor. If you get that TPS code I can see it giving you weird throttle responses. Id check to see if the throttle body is dirty or sticking first.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the throttle blade by applying varying voltage to the throttle valve motor.
The ECM monitors the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) that is required to move the throttle blade.
If an incorrect amount of pulse width modulation is required to operate the throttle valve motor, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

* The battery voltage must be more than 7 volts .
* The idle learn procedure must not be active.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is more than 80 percent for longer than 6 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

* The control module illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
* The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

* The control module turns OFF the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
* A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
* A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
* Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The throttle valves are spring loaded to a slightly open position. The throttle valves should be open approximately 3-5 percent . This is referred to as the rest position. The throttle valves should not be completely closed nor should they be open any more than the specified amount. The throttle valves should move open and to the closed position without binding under the normal spring pressure. The throttle should NOT be free to move open or closed WITHOUT spring pressure. Replace the throttle body if any of these conditions are found.

The scan tool has the ability to operate the throttle control system using Special Functions. Actuate the throttle valves using the throttle position function located in the Throttle Actuator Controls (TAC) system menu. This function will operate the throttle valve through the entire range in order to determine if the throttle body and system operate correctly.

crazcaddyguy
09-16-09, 05:00 AM
Okay so mabey i should said this earlier ive replaced the throttle thinking that was my problem. I found out it did move how i found that out was by erasing the codes that came up p0100, p1510, p1516, p1526 but only when the car was running! What it does it starts to run alot better the cel and trac cont,come off and the sport light stops flashing! And it revs good till it gets to 2100 rpm then goes back to limp mode lights come back on and im back to square one tried throttle reset many times no luck! One thing though i scan the codes after i erase and the only code that comes back on is p0100 the MAF! So should i replace the maf? This car is such a damn nice looking car! Just to many issues!

CateraMV6
09-16-09, 04:12 PM
Take a look at the MAF thread I jsut posted and if yours is 99-2001 you can get one for 72$... if not then dig around ebay.co.uk and you can find a new one there.

crazcaddyguy
09-16-09, 09:55 PM
Thank u yeah mine does happen to be a 00-01 and looks like i will have to try to see about that MAF!!! Thanks.

CateraMV6
09-16-09, 11:32 PM
My MAF Was throwing P0171, P0174, P0300, P0302,P0303,P0304, P0110 and P0100, so that MAF might fix many of your issues.

The one in our cars measures air flow as well as air temperature so it is a key component for the ECU info. My car lost just about all functionality on my scan gauge with my MAF being bad.. couldn't read air temp, or fuel consumption... or any of the other ones related to the Air Fuel Mixture.

crazcaddyguy
09-23-09, 08:20 PM
So i bought one of those maf sensors from autozone for $72 they even had 4 in stock! Put it on and still no luck still in LIMP MODE! No more p0100 code though so the maf was bad thats for sure thanks cateramv6!! and now only codes left p1510, p1516, p1526 and. P1519 sometimes! ????