: WOW...well I'm not sure why I'm surprised!

stealthjr
09-09-09, 03:13 PM
Some of you may remember that I had my car on my lift...checking out my brand new ride from Cadillac...only to find one of my half shaft bolts was literally backed half way out and never tightened down at the factory! (There were a few other folks here with this same problem after checking)

Now today...my car has a whopping 1500 miles on her and I decided it was time to swap my differential fluid with some Amsoil stuff.
To be honest, the only reason I even considered this is because I belong to Motorsports Ranch (Roadrace Club) and I plan on tracking this car 3 or 4 times a year.
ANYWAY...the first time I took the CTS-V to the track...a warning light came on telling me my rear end fluid was hot. So, of course I immediately took 2-3 cool down laps and brought it in. The next session brought the same warning and the same outcome.
The problem is that another forum member on here has had his CTS-V to the track 6 times or so and has NEVER had this warning light come on.

Fast forward to today...I'm draining my stock rear end fluid into a one gallon jug and it just didn't look like very much fluid came out of the diff. So, I measured it out to only 1.375 quarts!!!! (4 ounces of this is the GM limited slip additive) Then, I did the refill procedure and added my 4 oz. of limited slip and then one quart of Amsoil. Then, went to add the second quart of Amsoil and ended up using just over 1/2 of the second quart before the fluid started dripping out of the fill hole.

If my math is correct...it sure seems like my differential was 20% low! :bomb:

I'm hoping that was the reason for my overheating issues. I'm also hoping there was no damage to my rear end. (It's still quiet, so it should be ok)

I just don't get the lack of attention to detail. Shit happens, I know...but GEEZ!!!! :canttalk:

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

For those of you that track your V...please take a few minutes to check the level of your diff fluid. :suspense:

See ya,

Robert

jwa999
09-09-09, 03:26 PM
Some of you may remember that I had my car on my lift...checking out my brand new ride from Cadillac...only to find one of my half shaft bolts was literally backed half way out and never tightened down at the factory! (There were a few other folks here with this same problem after checking)

Now today...my car has a whopping 1500 miles on her and I decided it was time to swap my differential fluid with some Amsoil stuff.
To be honest, the only reason I even considered this is because I belong to Motorsports Ranch (Roadrace Club) and I plan on tracking this car 3 or 4 times a year.
ANYWAY...the first time I took the CTS-V to the track...a warning light came on telling me my rear end fluid was hot. So, of course I immediately took 2-3 cool down laps and brought it in. The next session brought the same warning and the same outcome.
The problem is that another forum member on here has had his CTS-V to the track 6 times or so and has NEVER had this warning light come on.

Fast forward to today...I'm draining my stock rear end fluid into a one gallon jug and it just didn't look like very much fluid came out of the diff. So, I measured it out to only 1.375 quarts!!!! (4 ounces of this is the GM limited slip additive) Then, I did the refill procedure and added my 4 oz. of limited slip and then one quart of Amsoil. Then, went to add the second quart of Amsoil and ended up using just over 1/2 of the second quart before the fluid started dripping out of the fill hole.

I'm hoping that was the reason for my overheating issues. I'm also hoping there was no damage to my rear end. (It's still quiet, so it should be ok)

I just don't get the lack of attention to detail. Shit happens, I know...but GEEZ!!!! :canttalk:

For those of you that track your V...please take a few minutes to check the level of your diff fluid. :suspense:

See ya,

Robert

Yeah, my diff got hot only once after a spirited drive, i probably was at 500 miles. But after similar even more spirited drives the problem hasn't repeated. Now at 9300 miles, will change diff fluid. I hear some noises coming from the rear first turn in the morning.

Hans.

nynd
09-09-09, 03:46 PM
Do you guys remove the cover or use some suction device to get the fluid out of the diff?

4gear70
09-09-09, 04:00 PM

See ya,

Robert

This is where the dealer is supposed to check and catch this stuff before delivery of the vehicle. Here they even charge for a PDI (pre delivery inspection) to make sure all the fluids are topped up, correct torque on wheel nuts, air pressure in tires, clean car etc. Yes, the factory should have filled it correctly.. but the dealer is to make sure before you get it.

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 04:08 PM
Should put a filter-mag in it like I am tomorrow when I fill all three (motor, tranny, diff) with amsoil. Tracking the car for HPDE on Saturday so I want to make sure everything is top notch. I wonder if all the people who tracked and said they had a high temp warning on the diff are all low on fluid too???? Wonder if you got a Monday or a Friday car, old wives tale about never getting cars made on Monday or Friday...they were 1/2 ass'd completed or fighting a hangover when built... Not to poke fun Stealthjr, but I would inspect just about everything with a fine tooth comb, took mine in for a rattle in the rear deck when certain frequencies play out the speakers and pinging sound when I shut off the motor. The rear deck still rattles but the pinging after shut down is gone... apparently exhaust issue according to the paperwork. Looking over my car tomorrow as I change the fluids out to see if I got a Monday or Friday car.....

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 04:08 PM
Do you guys remove the cover or use some suction device to get the fluid out of the diff?

Remove the cover

stealthjr
09-09-09, 04:19 PM

There is a plug to remove at the bottom...it will just drain out. (Fluid should be warm)

Then, just refill at the plug towards the top using a $10 pump from Autozone...easy as pie!

See ya!

Robert

nynd
09-09-09, 05:33 PM
Thanks. The drain plugs I like.. removing the cover, always seems like you'll end up with more work ... leak or seal issue after opening...

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 07:33 PM
But if you remove the cover you can see the diff, to gauge damage if any... also that's how you can put in a diff magnet. Leaks you'll see right off after fill, just need to pay attention when you move the car for oil spots. But my sneaking suspicion is Stealths may have been leaking already. I don't think they would half fill it, I think a poor cover placement job is more plausible and it had a slow leak.... so cover removal and replacement is still the best option, after inspection of course.

stealthjr
09-09-09, 08:38 PM
But if you remove the cover you can see the diff, to gauge damage if any... also that's how you can put in a diff magnet. Leaks you'll see right off after fill, just need to pay attention when you move the car for oil spots. But my sneaking suspicion is Stealths may have been leaking already. I don't think they would half fill it, I think a poor cover placement job is more plausible and it had a slow leak.... so cover removal and replacement is still the best option, after inspection of course.

I appreciate the input, HOWEVER...

There is NO leak in my diff...I can assure you of that. Also, I never said it was "half" full...it was missing approximately 8 ounces or 20%. (Assuming the diff holds exactly 1.5 quarts.) Finally, there is already a magnet on the drain plug where any and all metal shavings will fall...at the bottom of the diff.

To comment, you "don't think they would half fill it" is silly to say in the least. If you read the beginning of my post you will notice they also forgot to tighten one of the bolts on my half shafts and put the blue inspection paint on it. (Scary, and I am not the only one that has found this to be the case. :tisk: )

Anyway, just passing the info along as to the FACTS of what I have found with my car...as always...YMMV.

See ya!

Robert

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 10:34 PM
I didn't mean for it to sound as if I didn't believe you or point out any discrepancy, for a person to have their own lift and find all these flaws has a better view overall, especially on their own V. If no leak was found..... no leak exists and the UAW really goofed then, only 80% full..... I figured if a half-shaft bolt is found loose then a diff may not have been tightened down too, hence I would have believed a leak over 80% full, but if that's the case... no leak, then shame on GM. Didn't know the diff drain plug had a magnet.... 1/2 full 80% full, it's still <100% and half-assed as far I'm concerned.

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 10:38 PM
I'm still pulling my cover tomorrow and installing a filter-mag and filling to the top before saturday rolls around. I don't want to be the boob who has to pull off the track early for diff temp issues. I had the dealer look at the half shafts when you first posted the thread and pics, for all I know they just pulled it out back, ate a ham sandwich and rolled it back to me as "a-ok, no problemo".

musclesbmf
09-10-09, 11:52 AM
did you drive it in several figure eights after the refill to get the additive mixed up and in the diff real good? I know I had to do this with my Z06 and wondering if we have any similar directions. Also, did you re-check the level of fluid after driving? Do we have a diff cooler? If so, after driving, make sure you recheck the fluid level as the fluid will fill the cooler.

Mark

Z06ified
09-10-09, 01:04 PM
Yikes. That's some piss poor quality control there. I wonder if this is a result of GM now being Government Motors now. I mean do any UAW workers give a crap about what they are doing anymore? Why should they - the government will employ them no matter what, right? What motivation is there for a line worker to do a great job, when a mediocre or crappy job will have the same end result for them?

I'm close to ordering a 2010 CTS-V, but I'm really worried about the lack of quality control ever since GM filed bankruptcy. Between bankrupt and near bankrupt parts suppliers, screwed up supply chains, disgruntled UAW employees, and a much thinner staffed GM, I think quality is going downhill fast. I hope I'm wrong about this, but stealthjr's experience shows I may be correct. I mean if they screwed up these two basic items, it makes you wonder what else is messed up with the car. There's always the warranty, but still, you would rather not have to deal with any of these quality issues.

Torxila
09-10-09, 06:36 PM
Stealth,
PM sent

Regards,
George

stealthjr
09-10-09, 06:48 PM
Stealth,
PM sent

Regards,
George