: HPDE on Saturday, any helpful hints....

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 12:04 AM
So Saturday I'm booked for a HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) course. Any veterans got any pointers? or what I may want to take with me that day? Hints..etc... Thanks.

Prof
09-09-09, 04:35 AM
Look where you want to go...not at the guard rail...

Drive with your eyes way down the track down the track...

Be prepared to wait and wait and wait before turning into that corner...

Then don't be surprised if the instructor has hold of the steering wheel to make you wait even longer before you turn for the apex.

An extra set of shorts...or maybe two.

Drive it like you stole it and have a ball.

AZstar
09-09-09, 07:33 AM
Bring a folding chair, a hat, something to snack on, something cold to drink, and a camera.

If it's sunny set your cold tire pressure a few psi lower than normal. If you have an automatic make sure you put it in sport mode. I have left the traction control on and found it to be very unintrusive. I have not noticed any effect from changing the suspension setting.

Most of all listen to your instructor and have fun.

Short-Throw
09-09-09, 09:16 AM
So Saturday I'm booked for a HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) course. Any veterans got any pointers? or what I may want to take with me that day? Hints..etc... Thanks.

Where are you running? Have you wrapped your outer tie-rods and ball joints?

Do you have a diff cooler on your car? Some tracks allow more cooling than others.

Mike

stealthjr
09-09-09, 09:41 AM
Have you wrapped your outer tie-rods and ball joints?

Do you have a diff cooler on your car? Some tracks allow more cooling than others.

Mike

I'm curious about the "wrapping" of the tie rods and ball joints statement. Can you elaborate for us? What is the benefit and what material is used and specifically how?

Thanks!

Robert

rjoffe
09-09-09, 11:00 AM
Do you have a diff cooler on your car

Is there a diff cooler available ?

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 01:30 PM

No I haven't but I'm looking into it... Looked at a site to get sleeving etc but the weather is nice right now in New Braunfels Texas.

I don't have a Diff cooler, still looks like GM Parts is on hold. The track is 1.8 miles 11 turns and the longest straight is 962 ft. 3 classes so I think their will be plenty of cool down time.

stealthjr
09-09-09, 01:47 PM
but the weather is nice right now in New Braunfels Texas.

I don't have a Diff cooler, still looks like GM Parts is on hold. The track is 1.8 miles 11 turns and the longest straight is 962 ft. 3 classes so I think their will be plenty of cool down time.

I live in Texas...what track are you going to? Is it this Saturday?

Robert

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 03:13 PM
Yes this saturday at www.harrishillroad.com (http://www.harrishillroad.com)

Silver -V-
09-09-09, 03:31 PM
Pack your tool box with everything you may possibly need. Be sure to take a good Tire pressure gauge, window cleaner and toweling. Harris Hill has a lot of bugs that like to commit suicide in a 20 minute track session. You may also consider taking a sunshade to sit under, it could be warm this weekend.

Prior to leaving, make sure you take everything out of your car. This includes floor mats, glove box items, door pocket and center console items. I like to place all of these in a rubbermaid type small storage bin. Keep your registration handy as well.

Be sure to take plenty of fluids, a comfortable chair, and a notebook. keep your track registration papers with your notebook for easy morning registration. You may want to print out a small track map to take in your notebook, and memorize the turns before you get on the track. Once you get a session under your belt, look over the map again, and think about where you can improve the lines your instructor shows you. You can never go over the track and turns in your mind enough.

After you find a way to stop smiling from so much fun sign up for the Dallas get together at Eagle's Canyon on 26th. There is a thread on it here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/179207-dallas-area-track-day-get-together.html

Z06ified
09-09-09, 04:08 PM
I'm curious about the "wrapping" of the tie rods and ball joints statement. Can you elaborate for us? What is the benefit and what material is used and specifically how?

Thanks!

Robert

The tie rods and ball joints sit rather close to the brake rotors, which will be glowing red hot for much of the time when driven hard on the track. Under extreme conditions, the rubber boots on the tie rods and ball joints have been cracked or even melted from the heat radiating from the brake rotors. It's pretty rare though, and chances are if this is your first time on the track, you won't be driving the car THAT hard for that to be an issue. So I wouldn't worry about them.

stealthjr
09-09-09, 06:11 PM
The tie rods and ball joints sit rather close to the brake rotors, which will be glowing red hot for much of the time when driven hard on the track. Under extreme conditions, the rubber boots on the tie rods and ball joints have been cracked or even melted from the heat radiating from the brake rotors. It's pretty rare though, and chances are if this is your first time on the track, you won't be driving the car THAT hard for that to be an issue. So I wouldn't worry about them.

Thanks for the explanation! Definitely not my first time on a track...been road racing for many years. I've melted many caliper/piston dust sleeves in my day, glazed countless rotors too...just never even looked at the rubber boots you are referring to. :thepan: (Boy do I feel silly.)

Thanks,

Robert

SlvrBullIT
09-09-09, 06:25 PM
Anyone know how to remove the front mats?

nradcad
09-09-09, 07:41 PM
curious what the diff cooler actually is and where can I buy one? Is it just a heat sink? It is active?

Prof
09-09-09, 07:44 PM
Anyone know how to remove the front mats?

Pull up, the dark button pops out...and stays with the carpet...I think that is what you are questioning...not sure.

poor-sha
09-09-09, 08:43 PM
Go buy some heat wrap like they use to protect lines that run near the exhaust (I think I got my last roll from Jegs). Wrap it around the rubber boot on the tie-rod ends. Best bet is to then secure with safety-wire but usually it'll hold up to a single event fine if you just wrap it around.

poor-sha
09-09-09, 08:45 PM

Mike

Have you had yours on track yet Mike? If you did how long did it take you to overheat the diff? Jvp's experience was that the car could only take a few laps at Summit Point.

Short-Throw
09-10-09, 12:19 AM
Have you had yours on track yet Mike? If you did how long did it take you to overheat the diff? Jvp's experience was that the car could only take a few laps at Summit Point.

Sean,

I haven't had mine on track for any length of time as I know it's pointless without the diff cooler. I'm not surprised Jason's time was limited and sorry to hear it.

Mike

nradcad
09-10-09, 04:14 PM
Where can I buy a diff cooler? Seems like a good thing to have in general. Is this a warranty void type item? Part numbers?

Z06ified
09-10-09, 04:19 PM
Wasn't a diff cooler originally going to be part of the 2-piece brake rotor package (which still is unavailable)? Like sort of a quasi track package.

I know with my '02 Z06, if you added a GM differential or tranny cooler (the C5 Z06 came with neither), directly from the GM Performance catalog, it voided your warranty. Sounds a$$ backwards, and it was, but it was true. Not sure if this is still the case.

SlvrBullIT
09-11-09, 05:30 PM
Well pulled all the stuff out of my car. I can't believe I even asked the question on how to remove the drivers floor mat.... DURRRRRR I thought it was one of those tricky pull the center to release anchor jobies... apparently not..... Filling up tonight, along with the air in the tires, getting human fluids and snacks, then relax until tomorrow morning....

nradcad
09-11-09, 07:32 PM
Wasn't a diff cooler originally going to be part of the 2-piece brake rotor package (which still is unavailable)? Like sort of a quasi track package.

I know with my '02 Z06, if you added a GM differential or tranny cooler (the C5 Z06 came with neither), directly from the GM Performance catalog, it voided your warranty. Sounds a$$ backwards, and it was, but it was true. Not sure if this is still the case.

ridiculous. I'm sure they'll come a day when changing your own oil voids your warranty. But where can I get a diff cooler and has anyone bought one yet?

SlvrBullIT
09-11-09, 07:49 PM
Must walk around tonight with my helmet on so I don't get irritated and get a head ache with it on tomorrow....