: catalyst converter replaced

myboneyard
09-08-09, 02:05 PM
I recently had my catalyst converter clog up on me.
I got it replaced but the shop said that the cause was to much fuel being dumped into the motor . He couldn't tell me what was causing it . So my question is has anyone had this issue or know what it may be?

myboneyard
09-08-09, 07:57 PM
No thoughts?

Submariner409
09-08-09, 11:01 PM
You need to read the sticky thread up in the top of this main page, titled "How to pull codes". Learn to get any Diagnostic Trouble Codes from your car's built-in system - you don't need an aftermarket scanner. You want the link to OBD-II ("obd2") OnBoard Diagnostics Protocol II. If you have no PCM codes (there are P, B, U, and C codes) then you have no fueling problems, and BTW, fuel problems will usually turn on the Service Engine Soon light.

"Too much fuel" can range from a stuck injector to a bad air filter to a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).

ewill3rd
09-09-09, 06:48 AM
There is no way for him to know what caused the cat to fail.
It could be something that happened 4 years ago that damaged the cat and then got worse over time.
If the engine is running badly now then get it fixed. If it runs fine and no other codes are set, live your life.
If the fuel consumption is abnormal it will pretty much set a code and turn on the MIL. Do you have any other driveability issues or a MIL on (CEL)?

myboneyard
09-09-09, 08:53 AM
My engine light was on.
My car had lost all power and would not go over 20. I was told the converter was clogged up, so after changing it the service tech stated that there was plenty of black soot in my tail pipe and that the fuel was running to rich. I did pull the codes before getting the converter replaced . I will pull them again and research to see if i received so type of fuel code. I will also post them here for a little help if possible.The enginge light is no longer on.

ewill3rd
09-09-09, 12:12 PM
Fuel is a complex Hydro-Carbon.
Carbon is a byproduct of combustion.
Everyone's tail pipe is full of soot, whether they are running good or not.

Codes are the real key.
Keep an eye on it but don't get crazy.

97EldoCoupe
09-09-09, 01:39 PM
If you still feel a loss of power, check to make sure all plugs are firing correctly. I would advise to change your ignition coils, even only as preventative maintenance. But from what you're describing, you may have had severe afterburn.

Like Ewill says, there's no way he would have known.

Is the car running good now, and does it have great throttle response?

myboneyard
09-09-09, 03:57 PM
The throttle response is great.
i have not had any problems , but it has only been one day .