: 2001 #2 misfire, replace the coil 1st?

bacardi
09-08-09, 09:43 AM
Check engine came on, went to an auto store and he said misfire. I wished I kept the code, but didn't. He said USUALLY he'll see it say coil if it was a coil problem, but didn't see it. He wasn't sure why.

What steps should I take? Already had the fuel system and injectors cleaned.

fuzzkill
09-08-09, 06:33 PM
How old are the plugs? Coils won't throw a code usually but they can. I'd check plugs and go from there. Could be coil, could be fuel injector.

Army_MP_From_MO
09-08-09, 07:13 PM
Don't forget to check the plug wires

JRomano
09-09-09, 01:54 AM
Don't forget to check the plug wires

FYI 00-01 dont use plug wires, they use two 3-prong coil-on-plug type coilpacks

try taking the coilpack out, its only 2 bolts, they're fairly easy to get to, pop off the connector towards the back of the engine...
might have some oil contamination in there where the coil makes contact with the plugs, i did and it was giving me misfires a while back, i put a ton of dielectric grease in all the connections after a good cleaning and it seemed to do the trick, along with new plugs of course

CateraMV6
09-09-09, 02:42 AM
I get that at random times...sometimes my car starts up and runs rough for a bit until the engine warms up some and then it goes away but usually it will throw a code... P0300 then P0302 and P0303 which is 2nd and 3rd cylinder and so thats both banks correct? If so then either both of those plugs have oil in them or its some sort of a random thing...

Another code I keep getting is the P0171 which is the MAF or a vacuum leak... but I am waiting around to find some good prices on the MAF unit...

bacardi
09-10-09, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at it this weekend. Also I'll look at the code it throws next time. Plugs were newer, I bought the car used, but it appears the plugs are no more than 10K miles old...

bacardi
12-29-09, 09:17 PM
I think I've driven the car 10 miles in the past several months. The code came back, I still need to check coils and plugs. What plugs are recommended? Should I just buy a new set of coils?

bacardi
01-05-10, 08:07 PM
NEW QUESTION...

Going to look at this friday. If oil is the culprit, how do you clean the coil and how do you prevent oil from leaking(?) again?

TitanCTS
01-05-10, 08:59 PM
These coil packs ever rarely fail. Check the plugs when you remove the coil. Be sure they're not flooded or soaked with fuel or carboned up. The easiest way to clean the oil is to use brake clean cleaning solvent and replace the valve cover gaskets to prevent oil leaking again.

bacardi
01-06-10, 07:03 PM
These coil packs ever rarely fail. Check the plugs when you remove the coil. Be sure they're not flooded or soaked with fuel or carboned up. The easiest way to clean the oil is to use brake clean cleaning solvent and replace the valve cover gaskets to prevent oil leaking again.

Ah...If oil is found, replace the value cover. Thank you