: xenon ballast or not ?? plus dealer headache again!

bigputzars
09-08-09, 04:06 AM
I have a 2003 escalade ext with the factory xenons .... well I tried remote starting my truck and noticed that one of the headlights did not light up with the begining of the remote start sequence... I shut off the truck and then tried restarting it and noticed that the headlight in questoin which is the driver side headlight tried to light up twice made a loud buzzing noise i assume was the ballast and then just stayed off ... well Im not driving my truck at night due to the wonderful police in my suburb and dont need and more tickets since I am broke !.... I tried calling my service guy that always took care of me .. I wanted to find out if my extended warranty would cover the ballast ?... turns out he doesnt work there anymore !.... well he would call the warranty company and ask them if they would cover certain parts before i would bring them the truck in so I wouldnt end up getting charged their ridiculous labor rate to diagnose the truck if the parts in question wernt covered by my extended warranty.. well i get a hold of someone else and he tells me sorry i dont make those phone calls ! .. long story short he was an a ##hole!... then i remembered someone else i used to use there in service .... before i called him i called the extended warranty directly myself and gave them my vin number and they were trying to give me the runaround but long story short if it turns out to be the ballast they will cover it .... so i call a service guy i used a couple years back and told me they are booked for a week but to take the truck through their express service bay and talk to one guy and then if it turns out to be the ballast and it is covered they will take care of it??? i dont know if i should take it in or not .. i dont want to get charged bs money just for them to tell me its the bulb which is not covered .. from what i described what do you people think it might be... if the bulb was bad i dont think it would light up at all ... correct ? and were is the ballast located on the driver side ... if you take the headlight out is it visible ?? from the engine bay it doesnt seem visible to me .... headlight is easy to take out its only 2 bars that hold it in place

KAKY
09-08-09, 09:04 PM
Try switching the bulb from the side that works and if you have the same problem should be the ballast.

GCOP
09-09-09, 05:28 PM
Try switching the bulb from the side that works and if you have the same problem should be the ballast.

yep....sound advise

oldworld
09-10-09, 09:09 AM
sounds like the starter/ballast to me. If a bulb, dies, their is no light from it at all.
I have the same year truck and my drivers side blew out about a year ago.
I called my local caddy dealer and the service advsor suggested I bring it in for proper diagnosis. Could be, bulb, ballast etc, and they need to figure it out. Diagnosis would be $200.
I asked about the bulbs themselves, and caddy would need to order them at close to $400 for the bulb, and he suggested changing both....so the color matched, and suggested that if one bulb blew, the other is not far behind.
Cost of two bulbs $800
Then there is the issue of installing the new bulbs. Labor from caddy to install
LABOR $400....TOTAL JOB from rip off caddy is $1400.00 to replace two bulbs.

I called local AZ and Advanced, and they wanted about $180 or so for the bulb.
I went on Ebay and found the pair, delivered for $90.
The K on the original bulbs is 4300, and I got mine in 6000. So far so good.

I did the same thing............switched the bulb from the good side to the bad side, and it worked.....thus the bulb was the problem.
Funny becasue when I asked the service advisor after giving me his diagnosis procedures, if I could simply switch the bulbs, he actually chuckled and said if it were my car, and since YOU suggested it, I would....:alchi:

bigksone
09-10-09, 10:17 AM
$1,400.00 to replace 2 bulbs? What's wrong with this picture?:cookoo:
Oldworld, I'm glad you didn't fall for it, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that do.
To the OP, switching the bulbs is the first thing I would try also. Doesn't take long to do and should point you in the right direction as far as your next step.

oldworld
09-10-09, 11:31 AM
Switching the bulbs shouldn't take you longer then 15 min. Besides, it might be a good time to rinse out the housings if they are fogged at all. Might as well kill two birds with one stone lol :D
Let us know what the final verdict was.............good luck

bigputzars
09-10-09, 06:01 PM
lol I was picking up new rear dust shield for my escalade since the awesome gm oe rear dust shield have disintegrated from rust oh and now i have to remove both rear hubs to replace these rear dust shields which equals 3 quarts rear diff fluid at 34.50 a quart!..... anyways strayed off the track there well since i was at the parts dept at the dealer i asked just in case how much for a ballast he told me 430.00 then i said how much is the bulb and he told me while laughing 408.00 a piece .... i could not believe what he just told me !!.... i once again spoke with the warranty company and they told me as long as the ballast is not physically part of the headlight housing that it is covered so i will take my truck in and keep my fingers crossed !

bigputzars
09-10-09, 06:02 PM
oh by the way new rear dust shields from gm say made in thailand .... GOTTA LOVE IT !!.. LOL! GUESS THEY MIGHT LAST ANOTHER 2 YRS ?

oldworld
09-10-09, 06:15 PM
CAUTION!!!!!
Before you bring it in thinking the ballast is covered............you had better get it in writing before hand. Actually have them call to SPECIFICALLY ask if the ballast is covered, or better yet, you call the warranty company yourself and get it from the horses mouth.
Better safe than sorry, and get hit with an $800 plus bill. If you have to do it yourself, you can find one brand new and much cheaper on E_BAY.
By the way, how much is your deductible on your warranty anyway. I was lucky enough to get a ZERO one.
Good luck.............please check first!!!!!!:bonkers:
BY THE WAY...did you switch the bulbs first??? what was the outcome???

sfv41901
09-10-09, 06:56 PM
There are two types off ballasts that Caddy used on the 2nd gen Escalade. One is a Phillips Ballasts. If you have these ballasts, you might be screwed. The wire that comes out of the headlight to the ballast is one piece. If you have the Osram ballasts, then you are better off because the wire that comes out the headlight plugs into the ballast making the ballast seperate from the headlight. In any event, I have both ballasts, a set of Phillips & a set of Osrams. If your warranty wont cover you, I can sell you a set.

As far as bulbs go, there is a seller on ebay that sells a converter that will allow use to use a D2R bulb which are a lot cheaper.

sfv41901
09-10-09, 06:58 PM
BTW, the ballasts are located behind the grill in front of the a/c condensor & next to the headlights.

GCOP
09-10-09, 07:48 PM
As far as bulbs go, there is a seller on ebay that sells a converter that will allow use to use a D2R bulb which are a lot cheaper.

I have thrm as well let me know if I can help you out.

sfv41901
09-10-09, 09:22 PM
I have thrm as well let me know if I can help you out.

Sweet. How much do you sell yours?

bigputzars
09-12-09, 04:59 PM
i have to check and see which ballast i have .. cause like the warranty rep told me on the phone because i called them directly myself if the ballast is not physically part of the headlight it wil be covered by mywarranty if not im sol....thanx for the info guys and yes i would like to purchase one from you if my warranty doesnt cover it

sfv41901
09-12-09, 08:26 PM
i have to check and see which ballast i have .. cause like the warranty rep told me on the phone because i called them directly myself if the ballast is not physically part of the headlight it wil be covered by mywarranty if not im sol....thanx for the info guys and yes i would like to purchase one from you if my warranty doesnt cover it

No problem, JLMK.

Heres a pic of a Osram ballast, you see how all the wires disconnect from them?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/retro%20parts%204%20sale/DSC00965.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/retro%20parts%204%20sale/DSC00961.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/retro%20parts%204%20sale/DSC00966.jpg

bigputzars
09-14-09, 05:09 PM
well i took the headlights out and took the working xenon bulb and connected it to the ballast on the side where the headlight didnt work and guess what its not the ballast the bulb lit up when i connected to the driver side ballast that wasnt working before so turns out I need a new bulb... also turns out I dont have thew osram ballast set up its the phillips setup and im assuming that the warranty company prob wont cover the bulb.... so now im looking on ebay for a replacement d1r bulb .. i found a couple but not sure what to do ... buy two bulbs or only replace the bad bulb... supposedly the phillips bulbs run at 4300k but a couple i found d1r phillips xenstart bulbs run at 4100 k .... unfortunately i didnt take a quick pic of the back of the bulbs in my truck so i can compare the pic to the ones on ebay.... so what gives do I have to take out one headlight again to get the info off the back of one of my bulbs ? or get the one that is supposedly at 4100k? and should i get 2 or 1?... and do the members who mentioned they had the ballasts for sale have the d1r bulbs for sale also ??

bigputzars
09-14-09, 05:11 PM
im asking if i should get 2 because I dont want to have 2 different bulbs and maybe they wont match after ?

bigputzars
09-14-09, 09:34 PM
ok well i got bored and went outside and took out one headlight again to get the part number off of it my bulb has a number 8897814 the person on ebay has the same number but one thing all the numbers match except for for mine says e321 to the right of where it says d1r on the bulb the ebay sellers bulb says f408 or f406 cant see it too clear in the picture .... is that a difference or will those bulbs match the ones i have on my truck currently ???

sfv41901
09-15-09, 01:45 AM
If you are gonna be replacing the bulbs, You should do both so that they match. As the bulbs are used, the color shifts, so if you get only 1 new bulb, it will not match in color even if its exactly the same bulb. Just get 4300k D1R bulbs & you will be good to go. The 4300k is the OEM color that is used & has the most light output. The higher in "K" you go, the more color & less output.

sfv41901
09-15-09, 02:00 AM
I also have OEM Osram D1R Bulbs with less than 1 hour on them. I'm letting them go for $100 for the set. You can buy these on ebay for about $80-90 each.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/retro%20parts%204%20sale/DSC00970.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/retro%20parts%204%20sale/DSC00967.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/retro%20parts%204%20sale/DSC00971.jpg

bigputzars
09-15-09, 06:48 AM
thanks guys for your help and your offers if I need to purchase anything I will be in touch with you guys for sure !!