: Interesting Info on Run Flat Tires

StealthV
07-27-04, 09:55 PM
Found this link tonight - good read on run flat tires --> Run Flats (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=539)

StealthV
07-27-04, 10:02 PM
Run Flat Servicing (http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/runflat/index.html)

Rich H
07-27-04, 11:04 PM
Good articles on run flats. Note that they recommend the tire and rim be matched to "minimize runout and any radial force eccentricity" causing a ride disturbance even if the tires are perfectly balanced.

I had a runflat puncture (sheet metal screw in center of tread) repaired at an authorized Goodyear EMT repair center (no charge). He attempted to align the tire with the rim in the same position as before to prevent the above problem. A few weeks later I discovered I had a slow leak at the TPS valve stem seal which I fixed myself by deflating the tire to ~ 5 psi and repositioning the stem seal. I also lubricated and retightened the stem nut.

This Goodyear dealer said that the speed rating would be reduced for a repaired EMT with any puncture but the article indicates it depends on the size and position of the puncture.

ctsvett
07-28-04, 03:10 AM
I had a nail in my tire and I had it repaired at America's tire co ($15) because goodyear was not open (and I needed it done ASAP).

Before they fixed it, I talked to the guy who later did the repair. Turns out he is a Camaro guy (on the forums and all) and was cool... All the guys in the shop went crazy over the car also. I watched like a hawk everything they did (from start to finish) and they did it right (no scratching my rims, no mess-ups, etc). No problems since, even at >100. We do lose 1 speed rating (depending on location according to the article), but our tires are rated above the sop speed of our cars by one rating anyway.

Didn't align the tire because I didnt know we had to. Good to know for the future if I ever put runflats on again.

Few questions:

1. When we rotate, do we remount and balance the tire on each rim, or rotate the rims?
2. If we remount and balance, how do we re-align (it should have a new alignment on the NEW rim right?)
3. Are our tires directional?
4. Any problems with changing rims around to rotate (aside that you need to reprogram Tire pressure sensors)?

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Rich H
07-28-04, 11:18 PM
I don't think the tires are directional (no arrows on sidewall) so, since they are all the same size, you should be able to rotate them (including the rims) any way you want. No need to dismount and remount/balance. All you need to do is reprogram the TPS.

CaddyGeek
07-29-04, 12:42 PM
The new Motor Trend (August?) has an article about the C6. In the article there are a few paragraphs discussing Goodyear's new runflats. Softer side walls, new tread patterns, etc. Might be a good alternative for those who like the extended mobility, but want a more compliant tire.

Z06CADY
07-29-04, 10:47 PM
I had a nail in my tire and I had it repaired at America's tire co ($15) because goodyear was not open (and I needed it done ASAP).

Before they fixed it, I talked to the guy who later did the repair. Turns out he is a Camaro guy (on the forums and all) and was cool... All the guys in the shop went crazy over the car also. I watched like a hawk everything they did (from start to finish) and they did it right (no scratching my rims, no mess-ups, etc). No problems since, even at >100. We do lose 1 speed rating (depending on location according to the article), but our tires are rated above the sop speed of our cars by one rating anyway.

Didn't align the tire because I didnt know we had to. Good to know for the future if I ever put runflats on again.

Few questions:

1. When we rotate, do we remount and balance the tire on each rim, or rotate the rims?
2. If we remount and balance, how do we re-align (it should have a new alignment on the NEW rim right?)
3. Are our tires directional?
4. Any problems with changing rims around to rotate (aside that you need to reprogram Tire pressure sensors)?

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

The tires are not directional (see manual) so no need to dismount and remount. The tire pressure sensors are reprogramed to their new position after the rotation.