: Buying a Used STS-V

Gene K
09-07-09, 02:04 AM
First I only buy used cars I can pay cash for.

I'm looking for a Luxury Car with Decent Performance (Defined as 13 second 1/4 or better). Ive experienced 7 second 1/4 miles so to me their is no such thing as a "fast" street car.

I've narrowed it down to two cars each for $40,000. A 2008 Cadillac STS-V with 17,000 mi or a 2007 M-B 550E Sport with 30,000 mi.

How do you feel about your STS-V. Would you buy it again over a year older 550E Sport?

jedhead
09-07-09, 03:19 AM
The only other car I considered before I bought my 2006 STS-V (with 24K miles $37K asking price) was a 2006 E55 AMG (with 28K miles 38K asking price). I chose the STS-V for.

1. Better warranty 1 year left on the original bumper to bumper warranty and then 3 remaining years of the 6 year 100K bumper to bumper warranty. The MB dealer wanted $1700 to certify the E55 and an additional $4000 to extend the warranty 2 more years.

2. STS-V is less maintenance entensive. I spoke with my relatives that own MB and they told me that the frequently required inspections can cost as much as $800.

3. Here in SoCal, MB are so common we call them Newport Beach Chevys since they are as common as Chevys in the rest of the country. I've had my STS-V for 3 weeks and have not seen another on the road (I saw one at D3).

I liked the E55 because it was faster and I liked the airconditioned dynamic seats. I disliked the electro-hydrolic brakes. The brakes were touchy and hard to modulate.

I am very happy with the STS-V so far.

Bob

Gene K
09-07-09, 03:19 PM
The only other car I considered before I bought my 2006 STS-V (with 24K miles $37K asking price) was a 2006 E55 AMG (with 28K miles 38K asking price).

I disliked the electro-hydrolic brakes. The brakes were touchy and hard to modulate.

I am very happy with the STS-V so far.

Bob

That's exactly why the E55 isnt on my shopping list. I much prefer the brakes on the E550 even if I did prefer the old Supercharged Engines Torque. The E550 is really a great sedan but maintenance is a bear and its hard to find a dealer with realistic prices (compared to book). Based on the problems my Uncles had with the air suspension on his S600 Im not so sure I want to deal with that once its out of warranty either.

I started out looking at the previous generation CTS-V and found it just a bit hard edged for an everyday driver. The shifter isnt the greatest Ive ever experienced either.
Just kind of stumbled into the STS-V (Somehow I had forgotten it even existed).

jedhead
09-07-09, 07:05 PM
I thought about the E550 too, but I would have too much trouble finding my E550 in a parking lot at the mall.:)

Bob

freshchops
09-08-09, 03:13 AM
I've never driven the MB 550 so can't give you a direct comparison. I can attest to the STS-V though.
From quick research and from photo comparisons, I have to say the STS-V appears to take all appeal from an external and interior perspective. The STS-V looks both more luxurious, and more sporty (fast). As far as the cockpit and cabin, the 550e just doesn't look all that appealing to me. It appears a little more run of the mill average, modern day sedan (to me). The seats may be air-conditioned, but ergonomically, they don't appear as formed for the body and don't appear too comfortable. The seat and seat back appear straight and flat as boards. You'd definitely need to give them both a try because different people appreciate different aspects.

If unique appeal holds value, I'd agree with jedhead..... these appear more appealing and unique. I can see the Caddy as being more eye-catching.

I can't imagine you being disappointed with the performance of the STS-V, it's got plenty of horsepower..... but bearing in mind, these are heavy cars and drive like fast.... heavy.... cars. I image the results would be similar with the 550e, so unless you'd consider the CTS-V, the STS-V should fit your needs... then some.

An '08 with only 17k for $40k sounds bought right (I just concluded my stent of shopping these too). Loose a year, double the miles..... doesn't make the 550e sound as good?

Your "just kinda stumbled across these" is otherwise known as "FATE". I think you're heading the right direction. Welcome to the Cadillac forums. BTW, what is the color of the one you're considering (interior / exterior)?

Florian
09-09-09, 01:13 PM
you can have my 07 w/38Kmi a bunch cheaper! :>

F