: EXT 180 deg. Like a Champ!

dswanger
09-06-09, 10:29 PM
:highfive: Well made some more changes to my EXT 6.0 engine. Took a drive today up the mountains and back 200 miles. I love the 180 deg. system, even at a idle as well.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/dwswanger/Cadillac/cadillaEXT.jpg

nathanjax
09-06-09, 11:52 PM
Come on now... Gotta explain a little bit more. What's all that in the pics and what did each cost ya...

New overflow tank...
Some sort of wiring...
new thermostat...

Details man, we need details...

:)

bigksone
09-07-09, 09:02 AM
Come on now... Gotta explain a little bit more. What's all that in the pics and what did each cost ya...

New overflow tank...
Some sort of wiring...
new thermostat...

:)

^^^^ 2nd that

dswanger
09-07-09, 01:31 PM

New overflow tank...
Some sort of wiring...
new thermostat...

:)Installed a 180 deg. thermostat $12, and to make sure the fans worked with it I changed to a after market fan switch as well with a engine block prob not radiator prob. $46. Plus replaced the overflow tank as well. $59

themadhatter
09-07-09, 11:15 PM
ok, I've gotta ask...why? Is there a gremlin that I haven't discovered yet? :confused:

I just took my EXT to Michigan and back from Jersey through mountains as high as 2800 feet above sea level. On the way there, I was towing 7300 lbs, on the way back I was towing 5100 lbs. Neither load nor route gave me a problem with trans or coolant temperatures and there were some seriously steep hills along the way.

the factory cooling system works pretty darn well if you ask me.

on the way to Detroit:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/themadhatter323/IMG_0614.jpg

on the way back to Jersey:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/themadhatter323/IMG_0628.jpg

luxurylife33
09-07-09, 11:22 PM
ok, I've gotta ask...why? Is there a gremlin that I haven't discovered yet? :confused:

x2:bigroll:

I tow an enclosed trailer 5-6x per week for work and have yet to have a problem, not to mention the heating will be affected in the winter time.... the heat will take longer to come on and not be as hot as it should be...

dswanger
09-08-09, 09:10 AM
x2:bigroll:

I tow an enclosed trailer 5-6x per week for work and have yet to have a problem, not to mention the heating will be affected in the winter time.... the heat will take longer to come on and not be as hot as it should be...
Is there anyone out there that can honestly say that there car or truck doesn't run stronger when you START OFF when its COOL? As far as the heat 180 or 200 you could feel the difference with your heater. The 180-160 were fine in older cars, you had to use water and then Antifreeze mix. Now with a higher Boiling Rate with just antifreeze mix 50/50 they have the cars running around 200 deg. Maybe some of you were not here in the 60's - 70's with cars or you would know. The higher temp's are Like the big government and EPA do as we say!

dswanger
09-10-09, 07:00 PM
Well I got my Predator today for my EXT. Know with my K&N cold Air, 180 deg. thermostat, 10mm spark plug wires, 87 Octane gas and Predator Programmer I will work with different settings on the trans to dial in my MPG's on the car. With cruise control as much as possible I now get 14-15 around town and 18-19 on the road. Now with a cooler running car and changed shift points we will see!

sk7
09-10-09, 07:24 PM
I agree that hotter running engines were brought on with the EPA regulations. The hotter it is the more crap gets burned and less emissions.

Eskilade
09-12-09, 12:55 PM
Forgetting about, water wetter by red line. (radiator fluid) Runs 20deg cooler.

dswanger
09-12-09, 05:04 PM
I agree that hotter running engines were brought on with the EPA regulations. The hotter it is the more crap gets burned and less emissions.
:duck: Higher Temps are the direct correlation with EPA! The Joke is that you can still pass a Cal. Smog Test any way with the 180 deg!!! Kind a like have the Dem's and Gop cooling your car, they never check the engine temp just tell you What to Do.

dswanger
09-13-09, 10:00 AM
:) Well last night I left Temecula Ca. and went to Santee Ca. 68 miles one way. I know that is not much of a trip but its a start. There were hills and two lane and Janice was 7 miles from the main road. with traffic medium and no speeding when I got back to the office we had gotten a fair 19 MPG. Donald

sillyboi
09-23-09, 12:21 AM
I noticed my temp gauge has been increasing pass the half meter (not sure which degree is that). My fans work, is it time for a coolant flush? Or do you guys think is something else?

dswanger
09-23-09, 08:50 AM
I noticed my temp gauge has been increasing pass the half meter (not sure which degree is that). My fans work, is it time for a coolant flush? Or do you guys think is something else?
Flushing your coolant helps keep the system clean. You need to look at the color of the coolant, if orange the liter the color from dark orange the Weaker it could be. Its probably your thermostat! Really can't go wrong with changing it to be safe and there are only two bolts make sure you get one for a LS Engine, there longer. Donald :highfive:

sillyboi
09-23-09, 01:03 PM
The color of the coolant is a pretty light orange. Where can I purchase a thermostat and is there a DIY on how to change it. Sorry this is my first american car so I dont want to mess anything up.. thanks.

dswanger
09-23-09, 07:30 PM
The color of the coolant is a pretty light orange. Where can I purchase a thermostat and is there a DIY on how to change it. Sorry this is my first American car so I don't want to mess anything up.. thanks.
You can go to a auto store to pick one up. I would put the 180 deg. in but other will say something different! Your will run better with the 180 and still make more heat than you need on your heater for winter. You should put a cleaner in and drive all day, then just take the thermostat out by taking the two bolts out and let thing drain. Don't go with the DuPont two part cleaner, you have to use the Neutralizer and if you don't do it right and not get it balanced out you will have problem. It took me 3 gal. of Pre-Mix to refill my car. :highfive: PS.. Use the hose and stick it in the Lower hose and use a Rag around the hose and Back Flush the system for 10 min.

sk7
09-25-09, 09:11 AM
I still kick myself for not changing the thermostat when I replaced the coolant in mine! Totally forgot about that one (had to install engine block heater). Seeing a few members here had issues with theirs, I just know its gonna need to be replaced soon. I'll give the 180 a try for sure.

dswanger
10-15-09, 03:11 PM
Bump!