: Please, Please Help Computer Idiot

Sandy
07-27-04, 08:49 PM
Any help for me?

I opened an e-mail from a good friend. A picture of him and his girl. When I closed out, my computer tower sounded like it was making popcorn! After like 90 seconds of this, I didn't like it & I closed out the computer via Control+Alt+Delete, and then shut down. When I turned it back on, (in 2 minutes) all 3,000 + of my e-mails (ones people sent to me) were gone and the page INBOX was 100% blank. The ones that I sent are still under SENT and the ones I had deleted were still there, as well.

Any way to get the lost ones back....and what happened? I have PANDA anti virus enacted.

RBraczyk
07-27-04, 08:57 PM
Your computer either crashed or the computer decided to cache all your files. After that i dunno what to do...

Vesicant
07-27-04, 09:07 PM
What program are you using to read your mail? and who is your mail provider?

daacon
07-27-04, 09:49 PM
Good questions - check this thread (although you said you were using Panda)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321505

If using Outlook Express - search Hard Drive for a Inbox.dbx file.
If using Outlook look for a *.pst file (there is also a free backup add on that will backup up your mail file - I do this once a week)

Do you happen do have a backup ? Try using the "repair" option (pending your Mail client of course). I will assume you are storing your EMail on your machine. Look in the Deleted folder (assuming it is set to save all data).

Good luck , let us know.............dy

Sandy
07-27-04, 10:49 PM
Using outlook express, no backups of any type.
All e-mails gone. New mail coming ....blocked, instead following message appears

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0131

I go to www.comcast.net to view incoming e mails there. That works.

Thanks for trying. I am too scared to try very much. Will try & get son home from summer school at college but he works weekends so it's really tough. He's pretty good with this stuff. he grew up with it. to me, it's like getting a 3rd leg at age 50.

daacon
07-28-04, 12:19 AM
Bugger Man , seems to me a client issue (your machine and your mail or corrupt mail file) - unless it a nasty virus there is hope. I never grew up with these freek'en machines , but I grew into them as a career. They amaze me - I am a geek at heart , but yes in 20 or so years I have been burnt once or twice as well :-) and I am supposed to know better.

Hopefully your son can come to the rescue (just use the Bill Cosby line - I brought you into this world and I can take ya out !)

Good luck.

illumina
07-28-04, 12:24 AM
Any help for me?

I opened an e-mail from a good friend. A picture of him and his girl. When I closed out, my computer tower sounded like it was making popcorn! After like 90 seconds of this, I didn't like it & I closed out the computer via Control+Alt+Delete, and then shut down. When I turned it back on, (in 2 minutes) all 3,000 + of my e-mails (ones people sent to me) were gone and the page INBOX was 100% blank. The ones that I sent are still under SENT and the ones I had deleted were still there, as well.

Any way to get the lost ones back....and what happened? I have PANDA anti virus enacted.

http://www.pcguide.com
these people are great, and the membership there is free too! give them a look, and they can help for sure.

Imprl59
07-28-04, 10:57 AM
The sound makes me think you have gotten a virus. Go here http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and download Mcafee Stinger. This is a free utility that gets the latest greatest viri.

Did you have your definition files updated on your virus scanning program?

Steve B.

DopeStar 156
07-28-04, 11:37 AM
You need this program I downloaded called Ad-Aware 6.0. Download it and run the program and kill anything it finds on your machine. Then I would check Windows troubleshooter thing for Outlook and see if they have a solution to your problem. If possible I'd reinstall Outlook too.

tru504187211
07-28-04, 11:54 AM
http://mail-repair.com/ would be the first thing I'd try. I don't remember if express has the built in inbox repair utility, so here is a 3rd party equivilant.

brougham
07-28-04, 05:43 PM
You can also try calling your internet company to see if they can help. They're usually pretty good at fixing problems over the phone.

Sandy
07-28-04, 06:34 PM
I am saving this thread, and I sincerely say THANKS to you 10 who replied. Man, I do appreciate it so much! I am too dumb to do any of the things you suggest alone, (by myself). I will wait for my son. I will give this thread to him. Looks like a looong wait :confused: He's taking advanced college courses until Aug 18th. I know, it's a long time plus he works at T-Mobile and he just can't get away for the 50 miles trip and a 1-day stay over here. I am hopefull ~ I can get & send e-mails, but I've lost everyone I ever saved.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Ralph
07-28-04, 07:27 PM
You need this program I downloaded called Ad-Aware 6.0. Download it and run the program and kill anything it finds on your machine. Then I would check Windows troubleshooter thing for Outlook and see if they have a solution to your problem. If possible I'd reinstall Outlook too.

Hope it works out Sandy! Occasionally I've heard noises from my hard drive butI don't care as it's an old computer. :p

Adaware should be used WITH Spybot because to catch spyware or viruses, each only catches about 80% of the bad stuff out there. Be sure to download the updates on each once in a while. I just downloaded a program called Spyware Blaster 3.2 because I have spyware in the form of the Alexa tool bar that I cannot get rid of with any of these programs! The search continues...

Caddy01DTS
07-28-04, 09:37 PM
Sandy,
Go to this site http://cybertechhelp.com/forums/index.php
Registration is free. Tell them what happened and someone will help.

tru504187211
07-28-04, 09:38 PM
I am saving this thread, and I sincerely say THANKS to you 10 who replied. Man, I do appreciate it so much! I am too dumb to do any of the things you suggest alone, (by myself). I will wait for my son. I will give this thread to him. Looks like a looong wait :confused: He's taking advanced college courses until Aug 18th. I know, it's a long time plus he works at T-Mobile and he just can't get away for the 50 miles trip and a 1-day stay over here. I am hopefull ~ I can get & send e-mails, but I've lost everyone I ever saved.
:crying:

Your gonna start making backups of email messages now....right?? :) I know I should start soon!